NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Guest BooBoo

I do think we need a starting centre-back. It's only a matter of time before Taylor gets injured again/loses form. Cba with another Williamson filling in.

I agree but for me our first choice pairing would be Colo and Taylor. If I was scouting for a centre back I'd be letting them know that they would be a squad player to start with,which ideally would mean signing a promising youngster no older than 23, 24. I'd be disappointed if we broke up the Taylor/Colo pairing because it was bedrock on which our great start was made last season. Taylor is also a threat from set pieces, something which the rest of our squad are dismal at. Last season every time we won a corner, we might as well have just rolled it back to the keeper for all the use they were.

What I'd be spending our budget on is:

RB- Debuchy looks the real deal. Get the bastard in.

CB- I still think Saylor and Colo are a quality pairing. A central defender 19-23 yrs old would be ideal. Not too expensive and not someone who will demand to go straight into the first XI.

Forward- Perhaps not a striker but someone more comfortable in the role Ba played last season post January. Doesn't have to be a break the bank signing but forward cover is essential as we've lost Best, Lovenkrands and Ranger is neither use nor ornament.

Central midfield- I think we still need another body. Cabaye and Tiote obviously are first choice but after that it's kids and unprovens like Gosling. I've a feeling though we'll risk it and gamble on Abeid and Vuckic being able to step up this year. I certainly reckon for Vuckic this season is now make or break.

I agree with that for the most part.

My main worry is the lack of strength throughout our core. If any of the following get badly injured we are really struggling;-

Krul

Colo

Tiote

Cisse (less so, given the general cover the likes of HBA/Marv could provide if we were desperate but he'd still be a huge loss).

When you add in Steven Taylor's generally poor injury history, I'd say we need a fairly established centre back to come into the side and provide competition for Taylor (or vice versa) if/when fit.

I can see that Debuchy is the priority signing given that RB is a potential position where, if strengthened, that could really push us on as a team.

I'd also say CB, Left Sided Forward (if we're going 4-3-3) and a fairly strong back up CM would be ace, as you've mentioned.

As I've said elsewhere, I'll be really pleased if the club spaff £3m or so on development players like Bigi and Good in the hope that one or two of them make it.

Guest BooBoo

Actually keeper is a big concern. An injury or suspension for Krul and our cover looks very weak.

Guest BooBoo

We desperately need another centre back as Taylor simply cannot be relied on to stay fit.

It's concerning how much weight he may have put on whilst out. He does have a tendency to pork up.

Actually keeper is a big concern. An injury or suspension for Krul and our cover looks very weak.

Exactly my point. A couple of Charlton fans I know really rated Elliott but it'd be a big ask of him to fill in for Krul for any length of time. High pressure, that he's never had.

Harper would still be my choice, but would you want to go through half a season with him?

Similar for Williamson really. I like Willo alot but he's a squad player, not somebody you'd want starting for half a season either, in an ideal world.

As Tooj says, Taylor's fitness generally and his injury record is a major worry to me. We have to sign a ready made starter imho.

We desperately need another centre back as Taylor simply cannot be relied on to stay fit.

It's concerning how much weight he may have put on whilst out. He does have a tendency to pork up.

I would have agreed in the past, however I reckon AP and JC would be on top of that. JC especially will know him well, and will have made sure he kept relatively in shape throughout his down time.

Exactly my point. A couple of Charlton fans I know really rated Elliott but it'd be a big ask of him to fill in for Krul for any length of time. High pressure, that he's never had.

Harper would still be my choice, but would you want to go through half a season with him?

This is the reason I would have wanted to keep Forster.

Taylor will surely ask to leave if we sign a starter.

Then I'd let him. He can't expect guarantee's when he's only made 26 appearances (+3 sub appearances) over the last 2 years.

There's a recent video on .co.uk about his recovery which shows he's in the shape of his life. He said he's been on a diet and is doing very well with it.

This is the reason I would have wanted to keep Forster.

Me too, though very difficult when he's a young lad wanting games. I'd personally keep an eye on someone like Friedal if Spurs sign Lloris.

Even Paul Robinson at Blackburn. He's apparently the only player to have asked to leave.

Guest BooBoo

There's a recent video on .co.uk about his recovery which shows he's in the shape of his life. He said he's been on a diet and is doing very well with it.

Good news. He was like a house end after his last major injury.

Really think Taylor has come on a lot performance wise but he is also becoming a bit of a crock. If he had the fitness of Colo I would be happy with those 2 but I don't have much faith in him playing most games in a season.

But we'd be back to square one, or square two at best.

True but I'd be banking on Pardew working his magic and explaining that he can't expect guarantee's. If he does then yeah, we'd need to replace him but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Guest BooBoo

Really think Taylor has come on a lot performance wise but he is also becoming a bit of a crock. If he had the fitness of Colo I would be happy with those 2 but I don't have much faith in him playing most games in a season.

Taylor hasnt picked up too many niggling injuries. It's tended to be serious unrelated long term injuries like a dislocated shoulder or his Achilles. As such, I think he's just been unlucky rather than a crock like a Woodgate or (spit) Owen.

Doubt it tbh, we have bought many starter's during Taylor's time and always stayed.... Colo is untouchable but anyone that comes in will fight with Taylor for a spot.

I personally would consider Douglas a starter but if he doesn't perform then Taylor should start, we need depth and the best way of going about it is signing someone of genuine quality for Taylor to fight with for a spot in the team.

Signing a mere back up will solve very little IMO.

Doubt it tbh, we have bought many starter's during Taylor's time and always stayed.... Colo is untouchable but anyone that comes in will fight with Taylor for a spot.

I personally would consider Douglas a starter but if he doesn't perform then Taylor should start, we need depth and the best way of going about it is signing someone of genuine quality for Taylor to fight with for a spot in the team.

Signing a mere back up will solve very little IMO.

Amen to that Moley, Moley, Mole.

I think Good is our 19-23 CB signing. We will sign someone older ie Douglas for sure imo.

If Colo or Saylor get laid out again we are lumbered with Williamson who does his best for sure but if he is then injured I wouldnt want to extend trust in an unexperienced CB especially if he is new to the league. We need a fourth experienced CB to go into the starting 11 and fight with Saylor.

First four:  Colo, Douglas, Saylor, Williamson

Backup:  Perch, Good, Tavernier, Streete (wouldnt be too far out of his depth by all accounts)

Sakho sounds like a perfect signing.. but I'd expect we are hesitant not only because he will demand first team football (as i am sure Douglas would too) but we are very particular with the characters we are signing and maybe haven't done the research we have with other targets.

Hoping we get Anita which would give us another solid option for LB and CM.

Hard to tell exactly what we are looking for. The club as usual are playing their cards close to their chest and killing expectations by saying a couple of signings, yet it sees clear we are in the very least looking at a CB, RB, Winger and Striker. Then there have been mentions of strengthening central midfield and leftback.

I like how we are building the developmental squad but we are sorely lacking a up and coming young striker. We have Sameobi and Moyo but they are more wingers-cum strikers at best. Be shocked if we dont end up buying two strikers this summer.

Taylor hasnt picked up too many niggling injuries. It's tended to be serious unrelated long term injuries like a dislocated shoulder or his Achilles. As such, I think he's just been unlucky rather than a crock like a Woodgate or (spit) Owen.

I hope you're right (no pressure  :hmm:)

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Was mentioned in his nufcTV feature I think. He recognised he's prone to putting on weight and has been extra vigilant this time round, looks in decent shape as well.

Was mentioned in his nufcTV feature I think. He recognised he's prone to putting on weight and has been extra vigilant this time round, looks in decent shape as well.

Carver on Total Sport a few mins ago says he's come back in great shape and was doing some closed season work with the club physio in Portugal...