NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Lawro's take on things.

Newcastle

What they need in a nutshell: New faces in every department.

Window shopping: Centre-back and full-back are the two areas that definitely need strengthening, and it looks like France international Mathieu Debuchy could do that job, but you could add striker and midfielder to that list.

They were guilty of not strengthening in the summer but you cannot blame them for that - after how they did last season and kept that side together everyone was thinking they would be all right, but so many of their players have fallen below the standards they set last campaign.

Linked with: Adam Lallana 24, CM (Southampton) Modou Sougou 27, AM (Cluj) Mathieu Debuchy 27, RB (Lille) Jeremain Lens 24, FW (PSV Eindhoven) Loic Remy 25, CF (Marseille) Jody Lukoki 20, FW (Ajax) Moussa Sissoko 23, CM (Toulouse)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-close-in-on-mathieu-debuchy-transfer-8435235.html

Mathieu Debuchy was expected on Tyneside today to start the process of formalising his move to Newcastle.

The 27-year-old Lille full-back was due to travel to the north-east after the two clubs finally agreed a fee, understood to be in the region of £5million, over the weekend.

However, with a medical to complete and personal terms to discuss, his transfer is unlikely to be concluded until later in the week.

Whether or not the France international is among the crowd for tonight's Barclays Premier League clash with Everton at St James' Park remains to be seen.

Debuchy has been in Newcastle's sights for some time, and manager Alan Pardew was hugely disappointed to miss out on one of his major targets after the two clubs were unable to reach agreement over him despite protracted negotiations during the summer.

However, with Danny Simpson having rejected the Magpies' latest contract offer with his current arrangement due to expire at the end of the campaign, the right-back position has become a priority.

Pardew is also keen to add a central defender to his squad with injuries and suspensions having exposed the lack of depth among the current crop, while a striker is on his wish-list regardless of Demba Ba's situation.

The manager has not given up hope of hanging on to the Senegal international despite his representatives having held, so far unproductive, talks with Chelsea, but Marseille's Loic Remy is high on his wish-list.

However, sources on Tyneside today played down a link with West Brom frontman Peter Odemwingie.

PA

I would definitely look at a CM( if Tiote is sold) and a winger in the summer but it's not a priority for this window.

Pardew is also keen to add a central defender to his squad with injuries and suspensions having exposed the lack of depth among the current crop, while a striker is on his wish-list regardless of Demba Ba's situation.

Hope this is true.

I actually think that if we are to salvage anything from this season and avoid the drop the money needs to be spent, problem is who the fuck with a clear mind would join a relegation battle voluntarily? It's Fat Mike's fault not doing this shit in the summer when we actually had a decent chance of getting OK players. WTF is £1 mill on one player to salvage a season? Wasn't the Debuchy price around £6-7 in the summer and now it's £5 mill?

We need to be spending to get in 4 players, fullback, CB, central midfield, striker. No matter who leaves, so if Ba leaves we need 2. Our squad is a joke cover-wise :(

we should add a CM regardless as having 3 first teamers with 2 games a week most of the time isn't nearly enough.

Depends on how Bigirimana and Marveaux progress IMO, if we continue with the system and style of play i'm not sure we do.

Tiote, Bigirimana, Anita, Cabaye and Marveaux... plus Hatem could play that Marveaux role if we was in a pinch.

Perch and Jonas can do a holding job if we need them to as well, the real thing is making sure the system and style of play is right.

The real problem for the majority of the season is we was limiting our midfield through such abject tactics.

We definitely need one if Tiote leaves but if he stays i'm not certain we do.

Guest ItalianMagpie

I actually think that if we are to salvage anything from this season and avoid the drop the money needs to be spent, problem is who the f*** with a clear mind would join a relegation battle voluntarily? It's Fat Mike's fault not doing this s*** in the summer when we actually had a decent chance of getting OK players. WTF is £1 mill on one player to salvage a season? Wasn't the Debuchy price around £6-7 in the summer and now it's £5 mill?

We need to be spending to get in 4 players, fullback, CB, central midfield, striker. No matter who leaves, so if Ba leaves we need 2. Our squad is a joke cover-wise :(

Our squad begin to look like a joke also starters-wise: Jonas, Williamson and Simpson clearly not up to par, Tiotè going in that direction too.

Unfortunately, there no way in hell we're going to sign 4 players, I think we'll just get Debuchy in and that's gonna be it, if Ba doesn't leave.

Odemwinge would be a good signing if he was brought in as a back up. Always looked useful for WBA. Would be very underwhelmed if he is Ba's replacement though.

Could it be something like Ba for Remy AND Odemwinge?

No truth whatsoever in the Odemwingie rumour according to local reporter (normally very accurate and club trusted), the agents of African players do love to start rumours don't they!

Debuchy, Remy (or similar) and a CB please:                     

Krul

New CB  Colo

Debuchy                            Santon

Tiote              Jonas?

Cabaye

HBA                              Remy

Cisse

Love to see Cabaye further forward pulling the strings.

Subs: Harper, Willi, Fergie, Anita, Bigi, Sammy, Marveaux

Up and coming pushing for the bench Mehdi and Campbell.

Injured: Taylor

Pardew to find a place for Obertan and Shola although i really do not think their good enough.

Tiote, Jonas and Cabaye fighting for their places with Bigi, Anita, Marveaux providing really strong competition here.

I know people have been quite dismissive of the Odemwingie link but as long as he's not the only player we bring in I think that he would be a perfect squad player for us. Despite his age he still has a bit of pace about him, he's more than comfortable playing as a wide forward too. We are in desperate need of a squad and to especially bulk up our striking options as we don't want to have to be relying on Shola and I think he would be a great addition to the squad.

I know people have been quite dismissive of the Odemwingie link but as long as he's not the only player we bring in I think that he would be a perfect squad player for us. Despite his age he still has a bit of pace about him, he's more than comfortable playing as a wide forward too. We are in desperate need of a squad and to especially bulk up our striking options as we don't want to have to be relying on Shola and I think he would be a great addition to the squad.

Nigerian link-up tbh

Agreed.

Completely agree, the link has been denied anyway but i wouldn't be against him at all personally.