NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Guest bimpy474

we sacked off 2 of our nights in Milan in favour of spending extra time in Barcelona when we Interrailed.

Not a great deal to do, expensive and quite dirty I thought.  The San Siro area is an utter dump.

Barcelona is a fabulous City  :thup:

The area around the San Giro is really terrible, dodgy as.

Friends Mum got mugged in Barcelona, first day there an all.

Really?

Not sure I'd agree with that. I've been to the San Siro probably 30 times (season ticket holder one year), and I always thought the walk from the metro station to the stadium along the tree lined avenue was quite nice. I guess it depends which area you approach from.

One thing I will say, the San Siro is one of the truly epic sights in football, the first time you see it. From outside, it just - to my eyes - looks absolutely beautiful.

Mind you, I am aware that I am maybe exaggerating that as a result of the 1990 WC, which is my favourite (for lots of reasons, some not to do with actual football)

we sacked off 2 of our nights in Milan in favour of spending extra time in Barcelona when we Interrailed.

Not a great deal to do, expensive and quite dirty I thought.  The San Siro area is an utter dump.

I had the worlds shittest mugger try to attempt to mug me and some randoms.

A group of us were stumbling back from a bar crawl, carrying a barely conscious American lad and got asked to hand over our phones and wallets.  Basically turned into a "no" - "hand them over" back and forth argument for 2 or 3 minutes and he just walked away.

Really?

Not sure I'd agree with that. I've been to the San Siro probably 30 times (season ticket holder one year), and I always thought the walk from the metro station to the stadium along the tree lined avenue was quite nice. I guess it depends which area you approach from.

One thing I will say, the San Siro is one of the truly epic sights in football, the first time you see it. From outside, it just - to my eyes - looks absolutely beautiful.

Mind you, I am aware that I am maybe exaggerating that as a result of the 1990 WC, which is my favourite (for lots of reasons, some not to do with actual football)

true but it does seem to be in amongst a load of small flats, big bit of space then the san siro.

I had the worlds shittest mugger try to attempt to mug me and some randoms.

A group of us were stumbling back from a bar crawl, carrying a barely conscious American lad and got asked to hand over our phones and wallets.  Basically turned into a "no" - "hand them over" back and forth argument for 2 or 3 minutes and he just walked away.

Some skinheads tried to mug me and my mate in Budapest in 1992. They were pathetic.

They approached us, looking menacing, then their leader shouted something in Hungarian, we replied in English along the lines of "errr, don't understand".

At that point, they seemed flustered by our foreignness, and their leader cleared his throat, adopted his best accent, and said "Do you have any forints for us?"

We said no, they accepted the answer, and walked on.

Shittest muggers ever.

This was, obv, soon into their transition to capitalism, I imagine two decades of the ravages of unrestrained capitalism and the pursuit of profit have managed to improve their muggers.

Isn't Rome a shithole as well?

I don't think it's too much worse than most major cities TBH, it's tainted by graffiti/litter/dog poo/cigarette buds and like every city has its grim areas. Still a beautiful place to visit though.

Napoli, now there's a shithole.

I don't think it's too much worse than most major cities TBH, it's tainted by graffiti/litter/dog poo/cigarette buds and like every city has its grim areas. Still a beautiful place to visit though.

The last time I went to Naples, there was a taxi driver strike, in which they were refusing to pick up or drop off people at the airport.

I therefore had to walk out of the airport, and up a road, before I could get one. Exiting the airport, the very first thing I saw was an enormous dead rat, just lying there in the middle of the street. Weird.

Naples is a hole (google Naples refuse collection for an idea of the problems it has), but it is also an amazing city in many senses.

I went to see Napoli play Inter, and it was one of the best football experiences ever.

Guest Slippery Sam

Special mention must be made regarding outside the Bernebeu.  Saggy chops 'appy 'arry, the cheeky cockney, got rolled there ha ha.  I think it was only his watch which was stolen, but hopefully it was actually more.

The last time I went to Naples, there was a taxi driver strike, in which they were refusing to pick up or drop off people at the airport.

I therefore had to walk out of the airport, and up a road, before I could get one. Exiting the airport, the very first thing I saw was an enormous dead rat, just lying there in the middle of the street. Weird.

Naples is a hole (google Naples refuse collection for an idea of the problems it has), but it is also an amazing city in many senses.

I went to see Napoli play Inter, and it was one of the best football experiences ever.

Had to do the Naples subway when I went to Pompeii and it was the most scared I've been on foreign soil. Been all over the place in my 36 years on this planet but that night in Naples was the worst. Fucking dodgy as fuck man.

Aye when we went the garbage collectors were on strike, but I think this is a continuous problem.

It definitely has a lot of charm despite the problems, was there in the summer so didn't get to go to the San Paolo. In fact I've been to Italy 7 or 8 times and I've only ever been during the summer, which is a shame as I'd love to take in football while I was there.

What year did you have a season ticket for Milan/Inter?

Really?

Have walked from the Metro up and I must say there was a lot of dodgy geezers about, atmosphere was a bit weird (playing Napoli though  :lol:) and the graffiti along that tree-lined avenue was grim to say the least. Don't speak Italian but Gays and Negros need not apply around there from what we could make out.

All-in-all, a strange experience

Special mention must be made regarding outside the Bernebeu.  Saggy chops 'appy 'arry, the cheeky cockney, got rolled there ha ha.  I think it was only his watch which was stolen, but hopefully it was actually more.

Not about the Bernabeu, but our fans had horrendous problems at Atletico Madrid - basically coppers laying in, truncheons flying, for absolutely no reason.

Compare that with our trip to Bilbao, which I went on, and I don't think there's a single Villa fan alive who went to that who will say he's had a better away trip since. Great city, great people.

Rome's tremendous. Bit twitchy at night but it's a super place to go to.

What do you mean by twitchy? I was planning to go there later this year.

Italian cities have more of an overt drug problem than English ones do. Heroin is stil a major problem, so there's always a slight element of danger to be had, but I don't think there's too much to worry about.

Rome is a truly fantastic city, though. In terms of history, I'd say only Florence gets anywhere near it, but Rome also has an elegance and a swank to it than Florence doesn't have.

Really?

Have walked from the Metro up and I must say there was a lot of dodgy geezers about, atmosphere was a bit weird (playing Napoli though  :lol:) and the graffiti along that tree-lined avenue was grim to say the least. Don't speak Italian but Gays and Negros need not apply around there from what we could make out.

All-in-all, a strange experience

Graffiti is just an Italian thing, really.

I lived in Northern Italy for a few years, and you get used to the racism (not that it excuses it in any way shape or form). Although, to be quite honest, the worst racism I ever saw at Milan matches was directed at southern Italians (or 'terroni', as they'd call them).

Rome's tremendous. Bit twitchy at night but it's a super place to go to.

What do you mean by twitchy? I was planning to go there later this year.

You need eyes in the back of your head after about 11pm. The whole place got a bit of needle as soon as the tourists were back in their hotels. 

Aye when we went the garbage collectors were on strike, but I think this is a continuous problem.

It definitely has a lot of charm despite the problems, was there in the summer so didn't get to go to the San Paolo. In fact I've been to Italy 7 or 8 times and I've only ever been during the summer, which is a shame as I'd love to take in football while I was there.

What year did you have a season ticket for Milan/Inter?

The garbage problem isn't so much to do with strikes as it is organised crime, and the mafia involved in all sorts of horrible shit, dumping toxic waste in the country side, whilst mountains of rubbish build up in the city.

96-97 was my Milan ST season, but I also went a fair amount in 95-6 and 97-8.

I'd only ever go and watch Inter if i had friends or family over, and they fancied a game, and it was Inter at home.

Just had a transfer bath™ to celebrate the insane amount of news today. Highly recommend it, especially accompanied by numerous videos of stuff from last season.

Nothing quite like watching HBA when you're in the buff.

:lol: