Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Oh great, a gif. Players like Benteke and Lukaku would improve us but they're not the full answer, especially as those two actually get goals out of teams that have some good wide men and play varied football.

West Brom and Aston Villa are renowned for their dominant, varried football that revolves around wingers putting crosses in now..? :lol:

Agbonglahor and Weimannn love a cross like

Yeah, and that Lowton who put in at least 2 magnificent crosses against us. When was the last time one of our full backs did that?

Weimann was the one who put in that brilliant first time cross for Agbonlahor too, if I recall.

Oh great, a gif. Players like Benteke and Lukaku would improve us but they're not the full answer, especially as those two actually get goals out of teams that have some good wide men and play varied football.

West Brom and Aston Villa are renowned for their dominant, varried football that revolves around wingers putting crosses in now..? :lol:

Who said they were renowned for it? They're certainly more varied than we are, no question.

Who said they were renowned for it? They're certainly more varied than we are, no question.

If you say so..  :icon_salut:

If there's one thing we have improved this season its our wide play.

Both in personnel and how we are using them, compared to last season its night and day definitely much improved.

Obviously it helps that Jonas as hardly played mind.

Its still not where we all want but its much improved without a doubt, in an alternate reality where signing Lukaku/Benteke were possible i believe they would perform just as well as they do now.

While last season to me it was one of our biggest concerns but honestly i have bigger problems with the middle of the pitch now.... be it CB, CM or CF.

Both in personnel and how we are using them, compared to last season its night and day definitely much improved.

Its still not where we all want but its much improved without a doubt, in an alternate reality where signing Lukaku/Benteke were possible i believe they would perform just as well as they do now.

While last season to me it was one of our biggest concerns but honestly i have bigger problems with the middle of the pitch now.... be it CB, CM or CF.

Which should be our strength given the names on the sheet.

It is difficult to vary your attack many different ways when playing with a centre forward who contributes the actual sum of nothing to the play.

It is difficult to vary your attack many different ways when playing with a centre forward who contributes the actual sum of nothing to the play.

Yeah, our centre forward needs to be a great link man for our full backs to put in a decent early ball, or for Ben Arfa to look up a bit more. We're not talking complicated stuff here and it's not beyond our personnel to vary it up a bit.

I mean, how the hell did we score and win games with Cisse leading the line in 11/12, if he can't do anything?

I don't think our wide play has been too good, like. It's a bit better but we've mainly got goals from individual excellence or rebounds from deflections or saves. 3 of our 4 wide men are on their wrong foot, it limits what we can do, to an extent.

Cisse's not very good at what we ask him to do, sometimes he really doesn't help himself but we really don't do him many favours either. It's just basic tactics, you play to your strikers' games to get you goals. We have a number 9 type who has obvious limitations but benefits from space and has a game based around movement, we should be looking to play to that a bit more. Cardiff showed we're making some effort towards that, I think Cisse will be alright if that continues. He's certainly not the long term option.

There's more to "wide play" than just running down the by line and putting a cross in.

I agree we don't do that very well but you don't necessarily need to.... but the majority of our chances have been created in wide play..... i don't like really using stats but in majority of games this season whoscored has us " effective at creating chances from wide positions".

Be it through balls from wide areas, crosses or as Remy has done a few times cut backs into the box or outside the box.

All of constitutes to creating chances from wide positions and there's been a marked improvement.

Don't think the Lukaku type would struggle at all, if anything the opposite.

Creating chances through the middle of the park has been a lot worse, majority of games this season we have looked like we could create very easily from outwide but struggle to go through the middle.

Also most goals from crosses ARE because of rebounds, deflections and saves.

There's more to "wide play" than just running down the by line and putting a cross in.

I agree we don't do that very well but you don't necessarily need to.... but the majority of our chances have been created in wide play..... i don't like really using stats but in majority of games this season whoscored has us " effective at creating chances from wide positions".

Be it through balls from wide areas, crosses or as Remy has done a few times cut backs into the box or outside the box.

All of constitutes to creating chances from wide positions and there's been a marked improvement.

Don't think the Lukaku type would struggle at all, if anything the opposite.

Creating chances through the middle of the park has been a lot worse, majority of games this season we have looked like we could create very easily from outwide but struggle to go through the middle.

Also most goals from crosses ARE because of rebounds, deflections and saves.

There's also more to wide play than wingers, and I'm not saying it's just about running down the line and putting an aimless ball in either. It's about mixing it up, we cut inside the vast majority of times and want to play ourselves into the box. We also rarely play early balls, our delivery is very often floated. It leads to opposition regrouping, packing in the space and that's fine for Benteke or Lukaku but we don't have one of them, nor do I think playing in the way we do would get the most out of them either. They'd perform better than Cisse, sure, but as well as they have for their clubs?

In his brilliant run of form, he scored 6 goals from crosses/crossing situations of some sort. Only one of them came from cutting in.

Villa - Jonas puts in an early ball.

Norwich - Jonas puts in a low early ball.

Liverpool - Ben Arfa puts in an early cross from deep.

West Brom 1 - Ben Arfa plays first-time, low cross.

West Brom 2 - Ben Arfa cut back.

Bolton - Shola cross.

Our service from those areas isn't as good as then and that's why we won't see that Papiss Cisse. As of now, I'd play Gouffran ahead of him because he suits our style more but being heavily reliant on a front 3 really isn't very sustainable. I'd rather we had further threats so we'd not be contained by the likes of Hull if they get their gameplan spot on or if one of Remy/HBA has a shitter.

Davide Santon and the French Danny Simpson are s**** going forward like. Won't here me arguing. They play so far forward but rarely contribute anything. Them being so high up must stretch teams at the very least.

Debuchy's 'OK' but Santon seems to shoot more than he crosses after cutting in. I think he's only hit the byline once, against Villa.

Just watched him impersonating a footballer for Senegal there. Touched the ball less than 10 times in a 90 minute game a reckon - similar to us though, Senegal created absolutely nothing for him.

:lol: I posted this in the 94th minute and he's just scored!