sunderland

JH

There is some absolute nonsense being spouted in this thread "football and politics are separate" FFS :lol: Though I disagree, I have no problem with those saying they should be separate but to ignore even something as close to home as the old firm is ridiculous.

No is suggesting they are separate are they though? We are suggesting they should be separate. Football is a sport, its a global sport where kids go watching games, its entertainment. I don't see many club campaigning for politicians in elections, I don't see any club adopting an ideology. Football as a sport has grown from that time, nowadays it's more 'company politics' rather than real politics. It exists obviously, but that is what is dirty about the sport.

In my opinion we only find clear evidence of politics in the highest governing body of football FIFA and Sepp Blatter.

Like I said, most know there is politics involved in football, but I don't agree with you or Icke on how you suggest football works today.

Yes, at least one person did:

You've just massively oversimplified the rivalry between Real and Barca. Well done.

Your argument is that politics and sport should remain separate however they are not. No amount of hand wringing will change that. They're linked and forever will be. I'm sorry if that upsets you.

I've also never once tried to prescribe a political leaning to NUFC. You've simply assumed I have.

Yes they are man.

We have 50K crowds made up of people from all walks of life and all political persuasions.

PDC's politics are irrelavent and like the above poster said we should be more concerned about any positive impact he has in terms of motivation despite his weak managerial cv.

How dare he have an opinion of his own !

That sounds a bit fascist to me ! LOL

"It isn't fascist when WE do it !!!"

Give it a rest and lets ALL have fun when Canio-or-not-eo comes to town !

(Cue usual tedious responses from the drones)

Good point by Gary Bennett though.

What are you getting at here? :lol: I've said its fine if people feel that football and politics should be separate, despite not agree with them.

came in here to post that, i'd tend to agree with that. Although it's funny seeing the mackems in so much shit and PDC being hounded by the media, it is, in a sense fairly hypocritical. The massive amounts of stick he's getting by the media, by those who know what they're talking about and those who dont even know what fascism is suggests a lack of free speech. On the other hand, racism on the continent and is a massive issue, particularly in Italy and it wont go anywhere untill those who drum up racial hatred leave the game forever, Di Canio, giving the Roman salute to Lazio fans suggests supports the racists views. He should have been banned for a long, long time for that by UEFA but sadly, we all know how little they give a fuck.

Is it a lack of free speech though? 

Similar to what Gervais always says when he's on one of his boring religious rants.  "You have the right to hold those views.  I have the right to find them utterly fucking ridiculous".  Or something like that.

It's the same here.  Although nobody even knows what's going on with his supposed views.  As SAFC have dealt with it terribly and have just put up a wall.  That statement from Margaret Byrne was so bad :lol: it's just fueled the fire.

Although he has said it in the past, he's a supporter of Mussolini and has a DUX tattoo.  Plus all the stuff with Lazio fans.  But how dare you accuse him of being fascist or racist....

:lol: fucking gerrin.  One woman called up Total Sport on Monday night saying that all other teams will go to the stadium of far right and give the salute to wind him up.

No, love.  That's what you want to happen.  Your fans will do it in support you thick fucking bint.

By the end of that thread on RTG someone was fantisising about us being docked points for wearing Hitler taches and doing Nazi salutes and how it could save them from relegation.

"At least Di Canio is honest about his fascist views "

Are you a fascist Paolo?

"Uh, I do not have to answer that because there was a statement and it was very clear and this is not the houses of parliament and I don't have to talk about politics"

So was that yes or no

"IS RIDICULOUS! IS RIDICULOUS FOR ME! I DO NOT HAVE TO TALK ABOUT, IS RIDICULOUS"

Similar to what Gervais always says when he's on one of his boring religious rants.  "You have the right to hold those views.  I have the right to find them utterly f***ing ridiculous".  Or something like that.

It's the same here.  Although nobody even knows what's going on with his supposed views.  As SAFC have dealt with it terribly and have just put up a wall.  That statement from Margaret Byrne was so bad :lol: it's just fueled the fire.

Although he has said it in the past, he's a supporter of Mussolini and has a DUX tattoo.  Plus all the stuff with Lazio fans.  But how dare you accuse him of being fascist or racist....

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/irish-lawyer-margaret-byrne-31-is-new-sunderland-afc-chief-executive-1-3551981

Apparently she's a qualified solicitor.... yet she came out with that statement. :lol:

All of you can fuck off, I'm a fascist and proud.

I thought Jeremy Guscott was an absolutely shite presenter and was glad when the man I love returned for the final two series.

Similar to what Gervais always says when he's on one of his boring religious rants.  "You have the right to hold those views.  I have the right to find them utterly f***ing ridiculous".  Or something like that.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/irish-lawyer-margaret-byrne-31-is-new-sunderland-afc-chief-executive-1-3551981

Apparently she's a qualified solicitor.... yet she came out with that statement. :lol:

What a fucking dog she is.

Are you a fascist Paolo?

"Uh, I do not have to answer that because there was a statement and it was very clear and this is not the houses of parliament and I don't have to talk about politics"

So was that yes or no

"IS RIDICULOUS! IS RIDICULOUS FOR ME! I DO NOT HAVE TO TALK ABOUT, IS RIDICULOUS"

I know what you're saying, but I think his latest refusal to answer questions was more a desire to move on from the issue than a desire to deny what he has said in the past.

My only worry about the furore over his views is that I don't think it should necessarily be impossible for someone with strong political views to hold a senior or public position. The result of that is that everyone is battling to say that they believe the same thing and diversity of opinion is damaged.

Obviously the fans and sponsors etc have the right to object to him as well.

Ian, I think I agree with you on virtually everything else, but in this case you are being too fair-minded.

I don't know how anyone could take the repeated salutes, his tattoos, his autobiography, that interview, the incidents at Swindon, his repeated failure to categorically refute his affiliation since being hired by the mackems and be as equivocal as you have been.

It's not like you're one of those people saying his politics doesn't matter, either. You seem to be saying that it's not as bad as the (admittedly increasingly media-driven) circus claims. I'd argue that it's a consistent pattern of behaviour that might generously be described as very ill-advised, and at worst as sinister (or even evil as some have said).

Are you a fascist Paolo?

So was that yes or no

Well, its society that makes people like him hide what they really are.

As far as i am concern, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as long as no laws are broken.

I personally find his views very concerning, and quite sick if you look at the history behind all this.

Sunderland did not do themselves any favors by appointing him.

Ian, I think I agree with you on virtually everything else, but in this case you are being too fair-minded.

I don't know how anyone could take the repeated salutes, his tattoos, his autobiography, that interview, the incidents at Swindon, his repeated failure to categorically refute his affiliation since being hired by the mackems and be as equivocal as you have been.

It's not like you're one of those people saying his politics doesn't matter, either. You seem to be saying that it's not as bad as the (admittedly increasingly media-driven) circus claims. I'd argue that it's a consistent pattern of behaviour that might generously be described as very ill-advised, and at worst as sinister (or even evil as some have said).

You've got a point, in general I find all right-wing views pretty repellent.

My only disagreement is that I don't think he should have to refute his affiliation. If he is a fascist or has fascist sympathies then I don't think that automatically disqualifies him from management.

Racists would be different IMO.

What is really embarrassing/frightening for Sunderland is how many of their fans seem genuinely excited by the prospect of having a self declared fascist in charge of the club  :idiot2:

Probably not a particularly well thought through appointment when they've already had fans charged for racist behaviour this season and Wearside is reputed to be fertile ground for BNP/EDL sympathisers.

Someone in the club's heirarchy needs to take responsibility and make a firm and clear statement.

What is really embarrassing/frightening for Sunderland is how many of their fans seem genuinely excited by the prospect of having a self declared fascist in charge of the club  :idiot2:

Probably not a particularly well thought through appointment when they've already had fans charged for racist behaviour this season and Wearside is reputed to be fertile ground for BNP/EDL sympathisers.

Someone in the club's heirarchy needs to take responsibility and make a firm and clear statement.

They already made their statement on Monday. Looks like they're just gonna try and ride out the media sh*tstorm till the end of the season.

According to a bloke who works for Sunderland in helping with discrimination/racism in the community etc who was on totalsport last night, Chelsea have already had contact from people who are known to support facism for tickets in the Sunderland end for their game. He said that would be a massive problem as they now have a place to gain more publicity.

Aye, my main worry is about the effect on football fans. Will we see opposition fans taunting Sunderland with fascists salutes, or Sunderland fans using them in support of the manager?

Did any of that happen at Swindon?

There's much talk of what happened or didn't happen at Swindon in comparison to what is going on now.

The real difference is that Swindon did not have a former cabinet minister and prominent politician resign from their board in protest at the appointment of a fascist sympathiser.

That created the big story and all SAFC have done since is to dig a deeper hole for themselves.

They already made their statement on Monday. Looks like they're just gonna try and ride out the media sh*tstorm till the end of the season.

Sadly you're probably right , but their statement from Monday is looking very flimsy and badly out of date already.

Are you a fascist Paolo?

So was that yes or no

I know what you're saying, but I think his latest refusal to answer questions was more a desire to move on from the issue than a desire to deny what he has said in the past.

My only worry about the furore over his views is that I don't think it should necessarily be impossible for someone with strong political views to hold a senior or public position. The result of that is that everyone is battling to say that they believe the same thing and diversity of opinion is damaged.

Obviously the fans and sponsors etc have the right to object to him as well.

:thup: pretty much my feelings.