sunderland

JH

Is that invest in Africa thing some cheap ploy to impress Sessegnon and encourage him to stay? or to get Gyan to return?

Even with being of African origin myself, I find such things very forced.

Be afraid, be very afraid

Sunderland chairman Ellis Short wants quality not quantity

Chairman Ellis Short says Sunderland are looking for quality rather than quantity in the summer transfer market.

Short and manager Martin O'Neill have been in talks regarding the strengthening of the Black Cats squad for the forthcoming campaign.

"We don't want to sign players for the sake of it, or if it feels they're inexpensive," Short told BBC Newcastle.

"We want to identify players who are good and will definitely improve us."

The Wearsiders ended the season with just one win in their last 10 games after an impressive mid-season run ensured a sixth straight season of Premier League football.

However, O'Neill now has a full pre-season campaign to restructure his squad and bring in his own additions following his appointment last December.

"Martin and I speak frequently," Short added.

"He and I have been talking all summer about what we're going to do, the fans have a pretty good idea of what we need to do, everyone has an idea.

"Martin is looking at specific players that we might want, and then there'll be a lot of work in trying to get those players here."

The full interview with Ellis Short can be heard on BBC Newcastle's Total Sport programme on Monday, 25 June from 17:30 BST

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18582399

Be afraid, be very afraid

Sunderland chairman Ellis Short wants quality not quantity

Chairman Ellis Short says Sunderland are looking for quality rather than quantity in the summer transfer market.

Short and manager Martin O'Neill have been in talks regarding the strengthening of the Black Cats squad for the forthcoming campaign.

"We don't want to sign players for the sake of it, or if it feels they're inexpensive," Short told BBC Newcastle.

"We want to identify players who are good and will definitely improve us."

The Wearsiders ended the season with just one win in their last 10 games after an impressive mid-season run ensured a sixth straight season of Premier League football.

However, O'Neill now has a full pre-season campaign to restructure his squad and bring in his own additions following his appointment last December.

"Martin and I speak frequently," Short added.

"He and I have been talking all summer about what we're going to do, the fans have a pretty good idea of what we need to do, everyone has an idea.

"Martin is looking at specific players that we might want, and then there'll be a lot of work in trying to get those players here."

The full interview with Ellis Short can be heard on BBC Newcastle's Total Sport programme on Monday, 25 June from 17:30 BST

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18582399

I'm sure i'm not the only one who is green with envy over thier proposed frontline of Mclean-Sessegnon-Larsson-Saha next season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2164329/Sunderland-announce-Invest-Africa-new-shirt-sponsor.html

I am sure that fans are asking, 'Is there money in it?', to which the answer is yes, and they will also be asking, 'Well, hang on, Invest in Africa, yes, but what about investing in Sunderland?'.

Whoa, hold on there son, lets not throw good money after bad.....Sometimes you just have to write places off as a lost cause.

They say its the most lucrative deal but i haven't seen any figures?

The suggestion is it's somewhere around £2.5m/£3m mark, which isn't a huge amount but almost double what they got from Tombola.

That was always going to be a gamble though.