Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If Everton win, I actually think Liverpool would be the most likely to beat them (with it being a derby).

If Sunderland win, they have a really good chance of beating Liverpool.

Other way round for me.

Barring us nicking 5th, our chance of Europe will come down to Liverpool v Everton/Sunderland then?

Depends whether what the Chronicle says is right, there's still a chance Chelsea could beat Everton/Sunderland in the final and take the FA Cup's Europa League spot, leaving the spot usually filled by 5th place in the league to 6th.

Barring us nicking 5th, our chance of Europe will come down to Liverpool v Everton/Sunderland then?

Depends whether what the Chronicle says is right, there's still a chance Chelsea could beat Everton/Sunderland in the final and take the FA Cup's Europa League spot, leaving the spot usually filled by 5th place in the league to 6th.

Eh? How?

Eh? How?

5th and FA Cup winners enter at the 1st round (old 3rd round) League Cup and winners enter at the qualifying rounds. So if Say Chelsea win the FA Cup and Liverpool finish above us in 6th then they would enter at the proper rounds along with Chelsea where as 7th place would earn the League Cup spot in the qualifying rounds. I believe thats how it works in anyway.

Eh? How?

5th and FA Cup winners enter at the 1st round (old 3rd round) League Cup and winners enter at the qualifying rounds. So if Say Chelsea win the FA Cup and Liverpool finish above us in 6th then they would enter at the proper rounds along with Chelsea where as 7th place would earn the League Cup spot in the qualifying rounds. I believe thats how it works in anyway.

This is the point I give up on this thread. Pig sick of the headaches. :lol:

Eh? How?

This is the point I give up on this thread. Pig sick of the headaches. :lol:

Ok here we go.

5th place finish: Enters at the first stage proper rounds, place never given up.

Fa Cup winners/losers/6th place: Enters at the first stage proper rounds, place may drop form FA Cup winners, to the loser and if needed be further down to 6th place.

League Cup winners/7th place: Enters in the qualifying rounds, place may drop to 7th place if the League Cup winner either finishes in the top 4, wins the FA Cup, or gains a place from the FA Cup if they lose the final and the winner has already qualified for Europe, or they finish 5th or 6th taking a Europa League place where they enter in the proper rounds.

Eh? How?

Winning the FA Cup takes/took precedence over finishing 5th in the league as it's seen as the bigger achievement (understandable) and so Chelsea would qualify for the Europa League as the FA Cup winners. This would mean that the Europa League spot for the league would be up for grabs to the highest place non qualifiers (6th or 7th depending on where Liverpool finish).

From last season - http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Explanation-of-which-teams-still-have-chance-of-qualifying-for-Europa-League-including-Manchester-City-Stoke-Tottenham-Liverpool-article727553.html

The FA Cup will be won by either Manchester City or Stoke. City, however, want to qualify for the Champions League rather than the Europa League and will do so if they finish in the top four. If they do then Stoke can lose the cup final and still qualify for the Europa League as runners-up.

But if City finish fifth then Stoke will have to win the FA Cup to qualify for Europe as if City lift the famous trophy they will go into the Europa League through the FA Cup, which takes priority. Therefore the FA Cup qualification slot would be deemed as filled by the winners, fifth place becomes irrelevant - and the door for the final Europa League place opens for the team in sixth, currently Liverpool.

Like I said, the comments in the Chronicle suggest otherwise, but I'd be inclined to believe this from the Mirror over the Chron because I think it's up to the FA how they allocate European places rather than UEFA.

Did you ignore everything in my last post? :lol: Take the Mirror article and substitute City for Chelsea and Stoke for Everton/Sunderland.

Was on my phone and wasn't really reading, sorry :lol:

Guest neesy111

sunderland get to the final, they are in europe (even if its against bolton (?) )

Nope, it'll go to the winner if both teams are not in europe already.

UEFA Champions League

The teams that finish in the top four places in the Barclays Premier League qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

The top three qualify automatically for the Group Stage, and the fourth-placed team must play a Qualification Play-Off.

"No extra domestic place can be gained by a team winning the UEFA Champions League"

English winners of the UEFA Champions League who finish outside the top four places go through as Winners to the Group Stage along with the domestic champions, runners-up and third-placed team.

No extra domestic place can be gained by winning the UEFA Champions League, so the team finishing fourth drops into the UEFA Europa League. Then, the national association of the title-holder is entitled to one additional place in the UEFA Europa League.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/features/european-competition-qualification.html

So we want Chelsea to win the Champions league yes?

Guest neesy111

UEFA Champions League

The teams that finish in the top four places in the Barclays Premier League qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

The top three qualify automatically for the Group Stage, and the fourth-placed team must play a Qualification Play-Off.

"No extra domestic place can be gained by a team winning the UEFA Champions League"

English winners of the UEFA Champions League who finish outside the top four places go through as Winners to the Group Stage along with the domestic champions, runners-up and third-placed team.

No extra domestic place can be gained by winning the UEFA Champions League, so the team finishing fourth drops into the UEFA Europa League. Then, the national association of the title-holder is entitled to one additional place in the UEFA Europa League.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/features/european-competition-qualification.html

I think there is more of a chance we'll finish 5th tbh.

UEFA Champions League

Just to further this :

http://i41.tinypic.com/73cs1y.png

I think this is how I'm reading it and there is also FA Cup winners who will get a Europa League spot (unless both finalists have already qualified for Europe and then it would go to 8th spot if Liverpool finish 7th!!- Mackems in Yourope)