Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest michaelfoster

4 wins from 8 (total 62 points) should definitely be enough for 6th place.

We have winnable games against Swansea, Wigan, Bolton & Stoke, with Everton on the last day too who may have an eye on the cup final, beating Liverpool tomorrow and Man City beating Sunderland would leave us 11 pts clear of Liverpool and 13 clear of Sunderland with 7 games left (21 pts)

I'd love for you to go into the EL and draw a Spanish team. Fuck, I'd ever root for Espanyol to make Top 6 in the odd chance you ended up playing in Barcelona.

Fucking grim if you ended up 6th and 7th (Everton) and 8th (Liverpool) go to Europe instead of yourselves.

Want Europe so bad. Typical jobs iv seen offer 25-30 days holiday. Definitely set 10 aside for that, more if progress allowed it

Be absolutely devastating if everton nicked it 

We have winnable games against Swansea, Wigan, Bolton & Stoke, with Everton on the last day too who may have an eye on the cup final, beating Liverpool tomorrow and Man City beating Sunderland would leave us 11 pts clear of Liverpool and 13 clear of Sunderland with 7 games left (21 pts)

Aren't the last set of matches AFTER the FA Cup Final?

Aren't the last set of matches AFTER the FA Cup Final?

Yer they are, it's a joke.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/9627996.Easter_weekend_key_to_Newcastle_s_Champions_League_ambitions___Tiote/

Tiote believes, same old deluded Ivorians.

Easter weekend key to Newcastle's Champions League ambitions - Tiote

9:44am Tuesday 3rd April 2012 in Sport By Scott Wilson

Easter weekend key to Newcastle's Champions League ambitions - Tiote

CHEIK Tiote is targeting a Champions League place in the wake of three successive victories, but the tough-tackling midfielder admits this weekend's Easter double-header could hold the key to Newcastle's European ambitions.

The Magpies briefly moved to within two points of the top four in the wake of Sunday's 2-0 win over Liverpool, only for Tottenham's subsequent victory over Swansea to restore their five-point lead over both Newcastle and Chelsea.

That will be a tough gap to close with just seven games remaining, but the strength of Newcastle's recent form provides cause for optimism.

Alan Pardew's side have lost just one of their last six matches, a run that has fuelled hopes of a return to Europe for the first time in five seasons.

The Europa League is their most likely destination, although the situation is complicated by the various permutations surrounding the FA Cup semi-finals, but while the Champions League might be an unlikely prospect, it remains a possibility.

"Getting into Europe is the biggest thing for us now and it is very important for us as players and for Newcastle as a club," said Tiote, who returned from injury to produce a commanding midfield performance at the weekend.

"There has been a long time where we have not seen Newcastle in European competitions and we want that to change. It will be a big thing for us to play in Europe next season.

"The first target is obviously the Europa League, but why shouldn't we be thinking about the Champions League as well? Who knows, it could happen."We have got ourselves into a good position, but any talk about Europe will mean nothing if we don't keep winning between now and the end of the season."

The next challenge is Friday's Bank Holiday trip to Swansea, a game that is swiftly followed by Monday's home encounter with Bolton.

The Easter weekend is often a time when the end-of-season picture becomes clear, and Newcastle's players are fully aware of the potential significance of the next seven days.

Six points from six would all but guarantee a top-six finish and could push the Magpies back to the brink of the top four. A couple of defeats, however, and the likes of Everton, Liverpool and Sunderland could be snapping at their heels.

"We play two games in four days now and if we could get two more wins, that would be absolutely massive at this stage of the season," said Tiote.

"The win against Liverpool has given us even more confidence, but we know it will not be easy to go to Swansea. If we win though, it will put us in a really good place.

"Then we will try to win again on Monday, and if you win two games in a weekend now, it can make a massive difference to where you finish."

Tiote's return to full fitness is a major bonus, with the Ivory Coast international having missed seven of Newcastle's last 11 league games because of a combination of injury and international duty at the Africa Cup of Nations.

The midfielder slotted in seamlessly at the weekend, and if Pardew is to regularly field a front three of Papiss Cisse, Demba Ba and Hatem Ben Arfa, Tiote's defensive capabilities will surely be required.

The African's long-term future remains a source of some conjecture, with Chelsea continually linked with a summer move for his services.

He has shown no desire to leave Tyneside since signing a new six-and-a-half year contract in February 2011 though, and claims helping Newcastle back into Europe would rank alongside his greatest achievements.

"If we qualify for Europe, I will look back on this season as one of the best in my career," he said. "It has not always been easy because I have had a few injuries and I missed a few games because I was playing in the African Cup (of Nations).

"But I feel like I have come through that now and I want to do everything I can in the games that remain because we can still achieve some really big things.

"We expect to win every game we play at the moment. We are in a very confident mood right throughout the team."We are not just about one player - we are about the whole of the squad doing well. Everyone is working very hard for each other, and I think that is the main reason why we are doing so well."