Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Cardozo7

Is it just me or we should REALLY have a dinner before or after the 1st leg here in Lisbon, with members of both our forums?

O0

As long as it's not bangers and mash  :iamatwat:

Sounds like you're feeling the same as me when we got Lyon and Inter. Tough as all get out, but felt like the real deal. At this stage I reckon it's anybody's - just look at your tie against Anzhi. Willian gets injured early on, then they get a red, then Anita (?) gets away with one, then a late goal. We get a last minute goal against Lyon to go through, then the farce in Milan. Chelsea could so easily have gone out by now. Fine margins.

Happy with Basel, just a bit pissed that we're away second leg yet again. I like that people are calling them easy, when they knocked out Zenit, with ten men for a large chunk of the game. It's the quarter-finals of the Europa - everyone is good, apart from the refs.

Just please, please, play Lloris FFS.

Love how both teams are happy with the draw :lol:

Clubs with history, not new rich "shitty" clubs!

Yea, but I was thinking more regarding the percieved strengths of the teams. Personally I just assumed that they were of the "easier" opponents, not being from one of the big 4l, but after reading up a bit I feel rather foolish :blush:.

On the other hand, a lot of them seem to judge us solely on our league position, which does not reflect our current squad and form.

I believe we will have two cracking matches, hopefully we can get through.

Guys what is the level of importance that this cup has vs premiership?

Here in Benfica nobody really cares for this, until now, I hope.

Premier League survival was our priority. Barring a massive disaste we look to have achieved that with the league now being a bit of a dead rubber (apart from the Sunderland game) so I think we'll prioritise this fully now

This cup has priority now, we're pretty much safe from relegation in the league and aren't going to finish anywhere special either.

I think the feeling is the same from our manager too.

Pretty big, for us now at least. Should be our main focus for the rest of the campaign imo.

Love how both teams are happy with the draw :lol:

Clubs with history, not new rich "shitty" clubs!

Yea, but I was thinking more regarding the percieved strengths of the teams. Personally I just assumed that they were of the "easier" opponents, not being from one of the big 4l, but after reading up a bit I feel rather foolish :blush:.

On the other hand, a lot of them seem to judge us solely on our league position, which does not reflect our current squad and form.

I believe we will have two cracking matches, hopefully we can get through.

Benfica x Newcastle, vintage european classic, LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

Guest Cardozo7

The f*** is wrong with Bangers and Mash!? I knew the friendship would sour quickly.

Boofica.

We provide the food and you just bring the beer...i heard Geordies can do that very well  :angel:

About the tie i think Benfica will not put out their very best 11 on the 1st leg as we have a very hard away game to Olhanense that following weekend and as it's a sh*t hole where we usually drop points the manager might want to keep their main players fresh and focused on that game cause we really want the title back.

Having said that, you really need a result in Lisbon or at least to lose but with some sort of goal scored cause in the SJP game, Benfica will come with their very best 11 as we don't have a game that following weekend and chances are that we will score at least a goal as we do pretty much everywhere.

Going forward we are very strong and have plenty of options and talent with the likes of Salvio, Gaitan, Lima, Cardozo and Ola John. The central defence is very strong as well with Luisao (the captain) and Garay (that probably will move to Man Utd at the end of the season) but the wing backs are our weakest link. In the middle of the park our strenght really varies as we often play 4-4-2 against weaker oposition (mainly in the domestic league) which makes our central area vulnerable but increases our chances of scoring goals, but against stronger oposition we play in 4-4-1-1 (like yesterday in Bordeaux or like the previous round in Leverkusen). So, we expect 2 exciting attacking games with plenty of good football but in all honesty i don't anyone in Portugal knows what team will Benfica send out on this games as the rotation as been a regular feature.

Let the best team win and let the best team be Benfica  :coolsmiley:

Kinda nice the Benfica lads are on here offering City/Hotel advice.....

If someone wants to sleep by my place it's OK by me, I have a PS3.

Just be advised that I walk around naked inside my house and I like to rub myself against the walls.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Just be advised that I walk around naked inside my house and I like to rub myself against the walls.

:megusta:

Sounds like my kind of place.