Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just wish we were able to field our strongest 11 for this. :(

Aye if we went there with

Krul

Debuchy Coloccini Yanga-Mbiwa Santon

Cabaye Tioté

Ben Arfa  Sissoko  Gouffran

Cissé

...I would fancy us.

Solano fights Newcastle United's corner in Portuguese press

Newcastle United legend Nolberto Solano believes that his former team have the ability to progress to the semi finals of the Europa Cup when they face Benfica on Thursday. They are due to play the Portuguese club in the quarter finals in a game that Solano sees as winnable.

Speaking to O Jogo the Peruvian said Benfica will find Newcastle United has a strong physical presence when they face each other. He highlighted Sissoko, Tiote, Cisse and Ameobi as players who have physical attributes which Benfica will struggle to cope with. He thinks the physical advantage means his former club can pull off a shock by knocking out the Portuguese league leaders.

“Newcastle has a strong physical presence. They have amazing players like Sissoko, Tiote, Cisse, and Ameobi who are physically powerful. Distinguished by height, strength, and speed and jumping ability. I want to say that Newcastle will pull off a football shock."

Newcastle United are due to play Benfica in the first leg of the tie in Portugal on Thursday with the return leg at St James Park next week. The Portuguese club will be seen as favourites to progress to the semi finals in a competition in which sides from Portugal have done well in over the past few years.

Newcastle United defeated Russian big spenders Anzhi Makhachkala to progress to the quarter finals after beating FC Metalist Kharkiv in the previous round. If they are to get to the semi final they may face Premier League opposition with Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur also remaining in the competition.

:best:

Rossio Square pre game and Bairro Alto post game seems to be the concensus.

Any advice from Benficans?

Not really, you guys seem to be well informed. The beer is stronger and cheaper as you may know by now.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/benfica-vs-newcastle-united-travel-advice

Im trying to google map this so i can plan metro stops etc. Which stops would you use for both Rossio Square and Bairro Alto?

Not really, you guys seem to be well informed. The beer is stronger and cheaper as you may know by now.

Im trying to google map this so i can plan metro stops etc. Which stops would you use for both Rossio Square and Bairro Alto?

Where are you coming from? Which station?

Bairro Alto - Baixa-Chiado station (googled this one)

Rossio Square - Rossio station

You can use this to plan it / see the itinerary

http://www.metrolisboa.pt/eng/

You can see where you have to change metro (if necessary), color of the lines, etc. It's really easy, I use it on a regular basis to go to college when trains aren't available.

Where are you coming from? Which station?

Bairro Alto - Baixa-Chiado station (googled this one)

Rossio Square - Rossio station

You can use this to plan it / see the itinerary

http://www.metrolisboa.pt/eng/

You can see where you have to change metro (if necessary), color of the lines, etc. It's really easy, I use it on a regular basis to go to college when trains aren't available.

The airport. I get in about 4pm, and leave 7am the next day. Cheers for the help.

First pint in Lisbon at last. Quite warm here. Lovely looking city. Hotel porter a benfica and nufc fan..  Everybody dead friendly. :)

Are you allowed to piss away from the toilet though?

Guest Recrutazer0

"No urinating in public. It’s illegal. If you need to use the toilet, walk in to one of the many cafés or fast-food restaurants. This is acceptable practice given that public toilets are few and far between.

Portuguese beer is stronger (and cheaper) than the beer at home so make allowance for this."

;D ;D

Apologies to anyone from Lisbon but it's the biggest shithole of all the European trips this season.

Edit: Kharkiv was much better.

You can't apologise then insult their city anyway, man!

It's like saying "No offence, but >something purposefully and directly offensive<" :lol:

Apologies to anyone from Lisbon but it's the biggest shithole of all the European trips this season.

Edit: Kharkiv was much better.

May i ask you why? Because i never heard any tourist saying he had a bad time in Lisbon or Portugal for all that matters. But i guess you can't please everyone.

About the game: Salvio is out.

He's wrong anyhow. It's fucking mint.

Hungover to fuck but it's match day. Only got in from the docks area four hours ago.

Also, there's loads of pushers trying to peddle coke and weed. Don't bother if you are that way inclined, it's all a rip off and just legal herbs and shite.

If you are stopping tonight, head to Barrio Alto then if your still going down to the docks (about €6 taxi away).  Beer is good, locals are friendly but watch your wallets as you can tell the dodgies a mile off.

If you want a cheap prozzie, head to Rossio round the side streets.

Guest Roger Kint

Whats the atmosphere like over there anyone? Plenty of geordies kicking about?

Based on Paullys and others FB yesterday there is loads there already.