Newcastle United vs Aston Villa - 05/02/12 @ 1:30pm (Sky) - Pre-match thread

JH

Best being dropped for Ba is the only change i can see coming. Pardew isn't really one to drop a player after one bad performance (in reference to Ben Arfa), but judging by how he has handled him in the past, it's a possibility.

Sherla will somehow manage to keep his spot in the starting 11.

Krul

Simpson    Willo    Colo    Santon

Ben Arfa    Guthrie  Raylor  Jonas

Shola    Ba

is what I think we'll see, with a bench of Cisse, Obertan, Best, Gosling, Perch, Ferguson and Elliot.

Personally I'd put Santon RB, Raylor LB and Gosling/Perch in midfield, but don't think Pardy will do the same.

3-1 win (Ba x 2, Guthrie)

Shola will probably play his best game of the season in this now that he has competition.

He's known he's had competition for the last 2 games and he's got worse, same with Best, they've both bottled the challenge.

yeah but he was basically guaranteed a start the last few games and has been lazy as fuck. now he isn't and it would be typical of him. Would also be typical of him to be shocking again though too. I hope he isn't needed again for the rest of the season personally.

yeah but he was basically guaranteed a start the last few games and has been lazy as f***. now he isn't and it would be typical of him. Would also be typical of him to be shocking again though too. I hope he isn't needed again for the rest of the season personally.

Other than the Mackem game I'd agree with you, for some reason he seems to be able to lift his game against them.

Am really, really looking forward to this. To seeing Cisse and thinking about how the table might look if we win with Stoke metting sunderland, Liverpool meeting tottenham, Chelsea meeting United.  :)

It won't come that far in the end of the season of course, but just enjoying it right now.

Even more exited about the wolverhampton game actually. Just to see, what could quite possibly be our best line-up of the season untill now:

Krul

Simpson - Willi - Colo - Santon

Ben Arfa - Tiote - Cabaye - Jonas

Ba - Cisse

Guest hobshobs

Shola will probably play his best game of the season in this now that he has competition.

Yep. He only has to control the ball once, win a single header in 90 minutes or make one decent pass and that will easily qualify as his best game of the season.

It won't come that far in the end of the season of course, but just enjoying it right now.

Who knows tbh! Everyone thought we'd tail off after a good start and that never really happened, we went through a sticky spell but came out of it well enough, we'll be getting the boost of Ba and Cisse, then the boost of Cabaye return in a few weeks, and then Tiote coming back. Keep the faith! 

Watched them draw with QPR tonight, complete shite in the first half, much better in the second. Their defence was fairly appalling though, definitely fancy us at home with Ba and/or Cisse.

Who knows tbh! Everyone thought we'd tail off after a good start and that never really happened, we went through a sticky spell but came out of it well enough, we'll be getting the boost of Ba and Cisse, then the boost of Cabaye return in a few weeks, and then Tiote coming back. Keep the faith!

But we aren't competing for 4th (or 5th for that matter), as we are now with results going our way next round.

Yep. He only has to control the ball once, win a single header in 90 minutes or make one decent pass and that will easily qualify as his best game of the season.

Bwah, not true.

He's on smack if he starts Shola.

I'd go...

Standard back 5

Obertan - Guthers - Raylor - Jonas

Ba  -  Cissé

I can see absolutely no creativity if we line up like that.

He's on smack if he starts Shola.

I'd go...

Standard back 5

Obertan - Guthers - Raylor - Jonas

Ba  -  Cissé

I can see absolutely no creativity if we line up like that.

Aside from HBA there is no other option IMO and he was shit tonight. Need two wingers on the field to drive their shit full backs back.

If one of the wingers starting is shit bring HBA on.

It will never happen, but I'd like to try a midfield of:

Obertan - Guthrie - Jonas - Ben Arfa

And just attack the shit out of them. That's nit knee jerk for obertan scoring, just don't really rate Taylor and he's our other option on the wing. Think Jonas has been pretty handy centrally recently and has no problem keeping and ball or with defensive workrate.

With Ba being back and Cisse available I am more at ease with our ability to score, however still having Tiote and Cabaye missing is a major concern. Had either 1 of the been available for this then I would say we would win, as it is I think it will be a draw.

Their side that played today:

01 Given

02 Hutton

03 Warnock

05 Dunne

21 Clark (Bannan - 70' )

24 Cuellar

07 Ireland

10 N'Zogbia

19 Petrov

09 Bent

20 Keane

Thankfully they too look weak in the middle of the park. You'd fancy Ba, and possibly Cisse, to get something against that defence too. Can see N'Zog causing Simpson a lot of problems mind. Still, a very winnable fixture.

Krul

Simpson Williamson Coloccini Santon

Perch

Guthrie                             

Obertan      HBA            Jonas

Ba

Their side that played today:

01 Given

02 Hutton

03 Warnock

05 Dunne

21 Clark (Bannan - 70' )

24 Cuellar

07 Ireland

10 N'Zogbia

19 Petrov

09 Bent

20 Keane

Thankfully they too look weak in the middle of the park. You'd fancy Ba, and possibly Cisse, to get something against that defence too. Can see N'Zog causing Simpson a lot of problems mind. Still, a very winnable fixture.

They do look weak in the middle but so do we unfortunately.

I can't see Cisse starting, I reckon he'll be used as a wild card on the bench as they won't know much about him. Could lift the fans too to see him come on, will raise the noise a bit.

I hope he keeps Ben Arfa in the team because the onus will be on us to break them down as the home side. Obertan will be more effective coming off the bench espescially if we can get the first goal like yesterday.