Tottenham 5 - 0 Newcastle United - 11/02/12 - post-bumrape discussion from p43

Dave

Still can't get over that, the worst away performance I've ever seen live. :lol:

On the plus side, I had a tremendous night out in old London town.

Disappointed but it was no way as bad as the Fulham game and etc. Think this loss was a "better" loss than say a 0-1. This just showed all lot what has to be improved and which player that just is not up to it.

Of course Pardew could have played it a little bit better (Why oh way did he have to wait to half time to chance. Even if it just was after 10 minutes he should have made chances. That is one thing I can´t understand managers, why be so afraid?) but really dosn´t blame him to much. Tottenham was just to good.

Yep the brutal truth from Martin Jol back there. Maybe Pardew should have changed things sooner but atleast he's acknowledged he got it wrong. Thing is going away to play one of if not the best midfield in the league without your two starting beasts in midfield was always going to be a huge factor. Maybe we didn't realise how much of a factor it was going to be.

Sticking Tiote and Cabaye back into that side will make all the difference and there's still plenty of games left including those against the top sides for us to have another go with all our big guns. Sometimes you just have to take one on the chin and accept a hiding.

Maybe Ashley will realise the folly of not reinvesting some or all of the Carroll money.  Newcastle have put in too many good performances this season for yesterday's performance to be the norm, but if players are missing for whatever reason, there should be better options than were open to Pardew.

Newcastle's starting XI (including Tiote and Cabaye) is very efficient, the results this season have shown that.  But there's no depth in the squad, especially in CM (the engine room of the team), and that was never more evident yesterday.  Guthrie and Perch are poor substitutes for Tiote and Cabaye and were never going to challenge Modric and Parker.  But if Modric and Parker are missing, Spurs' options (injuries permitting) include Kranjcar, Livermore, Sandro and Huddlestone.  Tiote and Cabaye were obviously going to be missed but the effect on the team (and performance) could have been greatly reduced with more alternatives available to Pardew.

My opinion is that if the depth of the squad had been addressed in the transfer window, yesterday's performance wouldn't have happened.  Pardew had the honesty to admit that the balance of the team was too attack minded but does he have a lot of options when dipping into the squad?  You'd know better than me but I'm not convinced he has.

We were awful. You make your own luck but it seems every ricochet even landed at the Tottenham player's feet. Parker should have been sent off in the first half for his tackles from behind. He did at least 3 and only got booked for one of them.

I still think it's a joke that Man City loaned out Adebayor to Tottenham. We were destroyed by a player Tottenham probably can't even afford to buy or pay his full weekly wages. Man City will probably sell him to them for a knock down price!  :idiot2:

As I said last night I wouldn’t read too much into this result, it was coming from a mile off. Perch and Guthrie are absolutely non-existent as a shielding force and predictably they were left chasing shadows against a world class midfielder in Modric. Pardew frequently talks at length about the defensive protection his wingers offer, neither were at the races yesterday, furthermore they both surrendered cheaply when they received the ball to feet. This meant the defense were always going to be on a hiding to nothing against a team who thrives on high tempo, pass and move football. Colo and Simpson in particular were dragged out of position numerous times trying to cover players the midfield had left untracked.

When we actually had the ball we weren’t too bad. Guthrie was probably our best player in the final third while Santon and Cisse looked promising in parts. Ba was unusually poor, when we needed a forward who was going to hold up the ball and offer a bit of an outlet he attempted audacious pieces of skill or gifted the ball back with a misplaced pass.

Given the problems described above I think Pardew was always going to struggle today. There’s little he could do about the unusually poor performance of Ba or the lack of defensive cover from the wingers who in fairness usually pull their weight. He could have gone with a five man midfield including Gosling or Abeid but I remember the same fixture last season where we went to White Lane to contain and he was absolutely slaughtered for it.  Obviously we’ll benefit massively from the return of Tiote and Cabaye. In my mind at least there’s no way we’d of suffered a hiding like that with the pair of them at our disposal.

Guest neesy111

26 goals conceded in our 7 defeats this season, only 10 conceded in the other 18.

When we lose, we seem to lose badly.

We and Man Utd are the only teams to have not come back from going behind to win a game this season.

Never been so tired at the end of an away game, the Demba song was going on for at least 15-20 minutes non-stop in the lower tier, incredible. My missus was in the Spurs end very close to us and apparently they were just watching us for the last ten minutes wondering what the f*** was going on :lol:

s*** performance, everybody gets 1/10, put it down as a bad day at the office & make sure it doesn't happen again.

Lower tier was brilliant yesterday. The Ba song is brilliant for getting everyone singing.

it was fucking fantastic. won't forget that for a while, one of my funnest experiences at a match

Newcastle's starting XI (including Tiote and Cabaye) is very efficient, the results this season have shown that.  But there's no depth in the squad, especially in CM (the engine room of the team), and that was never more evident yesterday.  Guthrie and Perch are poor substitutes for Tiote and Cabaye and were never going to challenge Modric and Parker.  But if Modric and Parker are missing, Spurs' options (injuries permitting) include Kranjcar, Livermore, Sandro and Huddlestone.  Tiote and Cabaye were obviously going to be missed but the effect on the team (and performance) could have been greatly reduced with more alternatives available to Pardew.

The lack of depth has always been contentious from day one. I don't think you'll have found anyone disagreeing with that at any point this season, just games like yesterday serve a stark reminder of what could have been if we'd have been less fortunate on the injury front this season.

You can blame our midfield for the pressure our defence came under, but you can't blame them for how poorly the defence dealt with it.

It was only a simple ball into a space in the box to Saha for number two. He lashed it in unchallenged. It was woeful defending.

You can blame our midfield for the pressure our defence came under, but you can't blame them for how poorly the defence dealt with it.

It was only a simple ball into a space in the box to Saha for number two. He lashed it in unchallenged. It was woeful defending.

I don't disagree but Spurs picked up possession deep in their own half. Santon was caught upfield, Colo was consequently pulled out wide to cover and Williamson got caught in two minds whether to track Saha or guard his near post and ended up doing neither.  The space was there because the defence were so exposed.

Williamsons at fault for the 2nd goal, he was in no-where land when the ball was struck by Saha, ridicolous.

Anyway, the match is over and I always thought we'd lose this match, however I was optimistic about a decent line-up since AP claimed we would "go" for it. We just couldn't make a pass, could we? And I was waiting for him to bring HBA on to atleast try to keep the ball moving and maybe open up some room for Cisse to run in, but nothing. Oh wait, Ferguson & Lovenkrands , the only missing link is Ameobi.

My recent record is fucking shocking like.

Last season:

Arsenal home (League Cup) - 0-4

Man City home - 1-3

Stevenage away (FA Cup) - 1-3

Fulham away - 0-1

Birmingham away - 2-0 (although I did have a slice of bad luck there as I got all the way to Birmingham the first time round before hearing it had been called off :lol:)

Stoke away - 0-4

Chelsea away - 2-2

This season:

Forest away (League Cup) - 4-3 AET

Norwich away - 2-4

WBA home - 2-3

Spurs away - 0-5

Heaviest defeat I've ever seen on the road, pushing out last years 1-5 humping at Bolton.

We look alarmingly feeble away from home at the minute. Having only one decent defender doesn't help like. Yesterday, I was genuinely fearing a 8 or 9 haul for Spurs as they looked like they were going to score every time they are forward.

Guest kingdawson

Great result for us and hopefully you lot don't drop off and have a good end to the season. Didn't want to post yesterday as anything i would have said would have probably resulted in a negative response. Anyway again good luck with the season.

Mods please delete my account.

I'm not fearing a drop off but we had our pants pulled down well and truly by a vastly better side.

In fairness, it was the best performance I've seen by an opposing team in a good few years.