Tottenham 5 - 0 Newcastle United - 11/02/12 - post-bumrape discussion from p43

Dave

Guest The_Miz

Tough afternoon at the office. Only just starting to get some feeling back into my feet. Pretty good display from our fans at the end there, but other than that not many positives to take. Ferguson's cameo is probably the only good think that I can think of to come out of this afternoon.

Got to give some credit to Pards - made a point of coming straight over to the fans at the end to thank us. Then John Carver was going around making sure that the players all acknowledged the fans, again probably on Pardew's instructions. Doesn't make up for the 90 minutes that went before that, but it is this attention to detail I like about Pardew. I would go as far as saying that it actually lightened my mood a little. Obviously I was still pretty p*ssed off, but that definitely made me less angry about it all - it really annoys me how often players don't acknowledge the away fans properly, it wouldn't take much for them to at least look like they cared.

Good noise from our lot then?

Have heard a lot better but given that we were 5 down then it was excellent. Their were pockets of singers, but also quite a few sections of sitters down from the off - that isn't a criticism, people who have paid £40 for a ticket are more than entitled to do so, my point is merely that in my experience if there are lots that are sat down it tends to indicate that there are perhaps less regulars than usual and the atmosphere suffers a bit.

The lads in the lower tier lead the Ramadan song down at the front - they really were going mental and it was going on for the last ten minutes. A couple of times it got quite loud when the upper tier joined in. I noticed Pardew kept looking over, so it must have been loud enough for him to hear. Like I said at the end he shook Harry's hand and was very quick to stride over and thank the fans so it was clearly noticeable.

:thup: Cheers for that. Feel really sorry for them having to endure that shite followed by the lengthy trip back home. Good to hear some made their own entertainment.

Guest johnson293

He always mentions Ben Arfa as one of the striking options.

Ah right - Well hopefully Raylor will be fit for the wolves game, and he can (Pardew) dispense Obertan back to the bench.

Pards still sounds upbeat

Why would'nt he be?

We are still 1 point from 4th, Tiote and Cabaye will be back next game and 3 of the next 4 games are at home....

As others have already pointed out we were due a complete fckin ass raping, we were lucky against Blackburn and Villa and only really won because we faced teams that are wasteful infront of goal.

You can only get away with playing Perch and Guthrie in a 4-4-2 at this level for so long.....

CBA to go through all the negative messages, yes it was f*ckin disgusting display but iam not going to let one result destroy what has been a fantastic season and can still be a fantastic season.

HTL !  :indi:

they clearly just let this one go, can understand tbh, too difficult to win, could have been really costly to lose half the team putting up another battle against  a strong team, was always going harrys way. maybe a battle worth losing.

Guest The_Miz

Pards still sounds upbeat

Why would'nt he be?

We are still 1 point from 4th, Tiote and Cabaye will be back next game and 3 of the next 4 games are at home....

As others have already pointed out we were due a complete fckin ass raping, we were lucky against Blackburn and Villa and only really won because we faced teams that are wasteful infront of goal.

You can only get away with playing Perch and Guthrie in a 4-4-2 at this level for so long.....

CBA to go through all the negative messages, yes it was f*ckin disgusting display but iam not going to let one result destroy what has been a fantastic season and can still be a fantastic season.

HTL !  :indi:

I'm actually with you...we were probably owed a tonking after the Blackburn game, but when all factors are aggregated up, we are flying this season.

they clearly just let this one go, can understand tbh, too difficult to win, could have been really costly to lose half the team putting up another battle against  a strong team, was always going harrys way. maybe a battle worth losing.

get away! "we can let our hair down and if we get beat we get beat"

well whats the point in getting upset, it tells us nowt, other than the manager is wise enough to know some things are not worth the risks.

I was going to say before the game, the one place we looked stronger than them was upfront.

Yet Saha/Ade combined really well today, looks a good combo. Obv ours didnt have a chance to show what they could do unfortunately.

well whats the point in getting upset, it tells us nowt, other than the manager is wise enough to know some things are not worth the risks.

yeah but it's not too good that he's telling you that before the game.

What happens with Guthrie for the Wolves game? Will he be benched - he can't play wide right.

I'd play a 4-3-3

Cabaye  Tiote  Guthrie

Barfa              Ba

Cisse

Need ball retention, and those 3 will provide that, letting ben arfa to be creative for the strikers

Well, good luck for the rest of the season lads.

My worry is that everyone will look at that and remember the way to go against us is to park the bus. Fair play to Pardew for not doing that I guess, but it obviously utterly failed. I thought you might look to bypass the midfield, but Cisse and Ba didn't really get much of a chance to hold it up and they were chasing the game from the off against a strong defence. Your back-up midfield was woeful. After we just played the ball around him for the first goal, Colocinni clearly decided to stick to Adebayor like a limpet, which meant that he kept getting pulled out of position and the other defenders weren't good enough to compensate. Playing Saha rather than VDV was actually exactly the right thing to do, because it kept the pressure on Williamson. If VDV had played, then Perch might have been able to pick him up just in front of your defence.

Tiote and Cabaye back makes a massive difference. Just make sure you turn over Arsenal and Chelsea.

Really got mauled today, no point in trying to say otherwise. I thought Spurs were awesome tbh and Adebayor looked as good as any striker in the league.

We were, of course, shyte.  But it's gone and we have to move on.

Nothing wrong with that, but it wouldn't do any harm to look at the Spurs style of play and use it as a blueprint in how to build a side playing attractive and effective football. Would Ryan Taylor be a key missing player for them?

If Ben Arfa was being kept out of the side by someone who produces going forward and/or is making a significant contribution defensively (see Gutierrez on many occasions earlier in the season) then I don't believe very many would give a s***, probably just the French mentalists.

Who he's behind in the pecking order is the entire argument, I don't know how anyone can dismiss it.

Exactly. 

agreed.  Haven't seen his post match interview but in the last few post game interviews Pardew has often complained that we haven't "threatened their goal" enough.  Well it might help if we played our most creative attacking player and in doing so we may create some chances. 

Two massive home games coming up, lets get HBA, Cabaye, Tiote back in the side and get 6 points.

maybe he was fore warning the fans before they travelled. in terms of the bigger picture, im left feeling meh about today. cos we could have dug in and kicked and scrapped and chased it and maybe got a draw or a narrow hard fought defeat , with a few knocks, hamstrings or cards of whatever colour.-- and those consequences could have cost us more than 3 points over the next fixtures. I think pards learned something at Norwich tbh.  Maybe It was a wise move not to fuck ourselves up over this fixture.

Really got mauled today, no point in trying to say otherwise. I thought Spurs were awesome tbh and Adebayor looked as good as any striker in the league.

We were, of course, shyte.  But it's gone and we have to move on.

Nothing wrong with that, but it wouldn't do any harm to look at the Spurs style of play and use it as a blueprint in how to build a side playing attractive and effective football. Would Ryan Taylor be a key missing player for them?

No he wouldn't. But then Spurs haven't had our recent history (and yes blame can be and has been allocated for all of that).

maybe he was fore warning the fans before they travelled. in terms of the bigger picture, im left feeling meh about today. cos we could have dug in and kicked and scrapped and chased it and maybe got a draw or a narrow hard fought defeat , with a few knocks, hamstrings or cards of whatever colour.-- and those consequences could have cost us more than 3 points over the next fixtures. I think pards learned something at Norwich tbh.  Maybe It was a wise move not to f*** ourselves up over this fixture.

bollocks, in that case he should just have went for the "players missing, they are good "route, instead he sounded like a lower league manager playing away to a prem club in the cup. he's done this a few times, came out with some weird stuff in public which just makes you think "shut uuupppp!" but the results have let him away with it.