In the name of god Pardew let the team play football!

Parky

Maybe it's just how a crap ex-defender sees the game.

Pathetic that coincidentally he is the manager of NUFC - a club renowned in the past for its fluid, attacking football.

seconded a million times, starting to remind me of brucie at sunderland in not playing good players and making the team boring...

No idea why we played so deep today. Playing two defensive wingers at home and a middle pairing who don't cross the half way line much means very little creativity ( I know Guti hit one and it went in).

Agree Parkster. Getting beyond a joke now,I've always given Pardew the benefit of the doubt all season but I said if he couldn't (or couldn't even attemp to) get us playing decent stuff in this game with pretty much our whole team available then I'd lose a lot of faith.

To be fair to Wolves, they were more spirited than I expected and their 5 man midfield pressed us persistently and gave it a really good go. It's just ridiculous watching us play right into their hands, watching us hoof it up to Ba over and over hoping he can work something against their cumbersome but aerially strong defenders. Give the bloke a fucking chance man, same goes for Cisse and all our other proper footballers.

seconded a million times, starting to remind me of brucie at sunderland in not playing good players and making the team boring...

Yeah, and Bruce now is not even considered for the Wolves job. Overpassed by man, who has never managed [as a number one] in his 20-odd year career.

Beren:

Very similar to the reverse fixture with a much fairer result. Interesting and edifying to see that half a season on, the attitude of the board appears to have swung dramatically having watched very similar performances. Judging from the match thread, I think the same level of anger would be directed at the team/Pardew, even if we had undeservedly snuck a 2-1 win this time too.

Whilst before there was acceptance, and indeed happiness, that "some days you will play badly and get grind out a result" and that we must not grumble/must accentuate the positives,.... if you continue to apply that over the course of a season bar a handful of times (and I do mean maybe four or five, here), people will become disgruntled.

Pardew has wonderful resources at his disposal and for all the credit he deserves for guiding us to 6th in the table at the end of February, we should really analyse what he's working with here.

Tiote, Cabaye, Ba, Krul and Colo are incredible players IMO. Beneath that, you've got some real talent in Jonas, HBA and Santon. After that you've got decent players - nowt incredible, but people who can do the simple stuff, work hard and fit into a decent system around such a strong core of other more influential players. [Excluding Cisse for the moment, until more is known].

Pardew can take credit for bringing some of those players in, but in terms of shaping a team out of them, he's done a poor job. The evidence for that have been performances - nothing quantifiable that I can back up with stats I'm afraid, just what you can see with your eyes. We don't control possession, we don't dominate games or dictate the tempo of games... ever really. We are lethal with our chances for the most part, we play a direct style and we have ground out results commendably.

A good passing team doesn't happen overnight, but I see very little progress being made and if/when the results start to fade, more people will begin to ask Pardew very credible questions. Cabaye might ask him when this passing football he promised will happen, for instance.

Today was just one match, but it was (on a very small scale!) a little bit heart-wrenching to see HBA play. He seemed so much more inhibited, hesitant and burdened in his decision-making. He's obviously try to impress Pardew with his workrate, tracking and other aspects of his play - and it all looked a bit forced and unnatural to me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that it's a team game and individuals shouldn't be prioritised above the team, but I don't really want to see HBA chasing back to our corner flag. If we had a right-back who didn't abrogate responsibility for marking to any willing covering newcomer in that zone, it wouldn't be an issue but I digress.

My point is that HBA shouldn't be coached into being Ryan Taylor. We have Ryan Taylor for that. He is HBA and should be let loose unbridled, a la Laurent Robert - he looks so fucking overly-wrought out there mentally.

I said at half-time I was not worried and that goals changed games - I did not anticipate that Pardew/the team was happy cede momentum for the remainder of the match - I naively hoped it was just to take the sting out of the game until half-time. :anguish: Having watched Pardew's love of defending slim leads by throwing on Perchs and Guthries, perhaps I should have known better.

Pardew has bought himself a lot of affection/time with our results this season, but despite numerous and repeated warnings, he still has a tremendous amount of work to do in getting us to play better football because eventually results will always begin to reflect performances*.

Starting to think we're 6th in spite of Pardew and not because of him. Makes so many mistakes again and again.

Yep, recruitment team is to thank. Is it harsh if i said i no longer want him as our manager?

It's an awkward one. We could really do with no more upheaval. But it's certainly frustrating that he's not allowing this team to push on, considering the talent we have.

Questions have to be asked of him in the summer that's for sure. How much of our position is down to him? Are the players as a team playing up to their full capabilities? Will we be able to progress on with a few more good signings (which seem to be down to Graham Carr and not Pardew). Could we maximize what we've got with a different, less negative manager? Let's not forget as well that when we lose we lose very heavily as well. To be 6th after 26 games with a 0 goal difference is very strange.

The team can't pass and keep possession to anywhere near an acceptable standard given the level they're playing at. The players look afraid to break from their rigid positioning to create options for passes and to create attacking moves. Some thing is fundamentally not right about the team at the moment.

He doesn't have any idea how to play football. At no point this season have we passed the ball as well as Wolves did today, and they weren't even any good.

We have passed it around fairly well in isolated patches - maybe 5 mins here or there a couple of times - but it's been very uncharacteristic. Then there's the first half away at fulham when we did quite well on the ball, but then that turned into a disaster 2nd half as Pardew got thoroughly out-classed by Jol. On top of that there's the draw away at Villa where we looked very slick. Maybe I'd include the QPR home game after HBA came on and we looked a bit fluid - but that style soon turned to shit.

overall this season we haven't really seemed to use attacking tactics other than the vague idea to get it into the box as soon as possible because Ba is so dangerous in that area. Now Cisse is playing alongside him hoofs up from the back won't work but we haven't tried to change our tactics accordingly. players still look like strangers alongside one another but our (long gone) solidity and class has been enough to get by on.

the game plan today -> not so much hoof ball from Krul as we have seen at other times (though as soon as Shola came on that was our only tactic). it was more disjointed, awkward passing in defensive areas which culminated in a shit lofted cross from deep, usually from the likes of simpson, cabaye or jonas. funnily enough raylor was largely anonymous. pure percentage football.

the few times we looked alright was when Cisse or Ba dropped deep and took it off someone's toes, but they then found themselves 40 yards from goal with no support or overlapping runs whatsoever.

Then in the final few mins Santon took it upon himself to go on some marauding runs and Ben Arfa decided to ignore the calls for early, ineffective crosses in favour of cuts inside and shots on goal. HBA was pretty poor but he at least had the good sense and initiative to ignore pardew's nonsensical instructions.

Guest Dontooner

Beren:

Very similar to the reverse fixture with a much fairer result. Interesting and edifying to see that half a season on, the attitude of the board appears to have swung dramatically having watched very similar performances. Judging from the match thread, I think the same level of anger would be directed at the team/Pardew, even if we had undeservedly snuck a 2-1 win this time too.

Whilst before there was acceptance, and indeed happiness, that "some days you will play badly and get grind out a result" and that we must not grumble/must accentuate the positives,.... if you continue to apply that over the course of a season bar a handful of times (and I do mean maybe four or five, here), people will become disgruntled.

Pardew has wonderful resources at his disposal and for all the credit he deserves for guiding us to 6th in the table at the end of February, we should really analyse what he's working with here.

Tiote, Cabaye, Ba, Krul and Colo are incredible players IMO. Beneath that, you've got some real talent in Jonas, HBA and Santon. After that you've got decent players - nowt incredible, but people who can do the simple stuff, work hard and fit into a decent system around such a strong core of other more influential players. [Excluding Cisse for the moment, until more is known].

Pardew can take credit for bringing some of those players in, but in terms of shaping a team out of them, he's done a poor job. The evidence for that have been performances - nothing quantifiable that I can back up with stats I'm afraid, just what you can see with your eyes. We don't control possession, we don't dominate games or dictate the tempo of games... ever really. We are lethal with our chances for the most part, we play a direct style and we have ground out results commendably.

A good passing team doesn't happen overnight, but I see very little progress being made and if/when the results start to fade, more people will begin to ask Pardew very credible questions. Cabaye might ask him when this passing football he promised will happen, for instance.

Today was just one match, but it was (on a very small scale!) a little bit heart-wrenching to see HBA play. He seemed so much more inhibited, hesitant and burdened in his decision-making. He's obviously try to impress Pardew with his workrate, tracking and other aspects of his play - and it all looked a bit forced and unnatural to me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that it's a team game and individuals shouldn't be prioritised above the team, but I don't really want to see HBA chasing back to our corner flag. If we had a right-back who didn't abrogate responsibility for marking to any willing covering newcomer in that zone, it wouldn't be an issue but I digress.

My point is that HBA shouldn't be coached into being Ryan Taylor. We have Ryan Taylor for that. He is HBA and should be let loose unbridled, a la Laurent Robert - he looks so f***ing overly-wrought out there mentally.

I said at half-time I was not worried and that goals changed games - I did not anticipate that Pardew/the team was happy cede momentum for the remainder of the match - I naively hoped it was just to take the sting out of the game until half-time. :anguish: Having watched Pardew's love of defending slim leads by throwing on Perchs and Guthries, perhaps I should have known better.

Pardew has bought himself a lot of affection/time with our results this season, but despite numerous and repeated warnings, he still has a tremendous amount of work to do in getting us to play better football because eventually results will always begin to reflect performances*.

Good post , happy to see some have finally come to terms with reality and are starting to realize Pardew isnt as good as he makes himself to be. I would actually like him to succeed here if he would grow a pair and get us passing and moving in a system but if its out of his dept , Please get the next appointment right for once, someone that knows how to get results while playing attractive football.

Guest bimpy474

Its going all Fat Sam, long ball to the front, poor at the back, no pace, its like i'm living that nightmare again.......wont somebody think of the children.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

bloody hell you're all awfully fickle on this forum, no offence. A handful of bad results and talk leads towards pardew bein undermined and then a handful of decent results and all I read is praise and no slaggings for the man.

bloody hell you're all awfully fickle on this forum, no offence. A handful of bad results and talk leads towards pardew bein undermined and then a handful of decent results and all I read is praise and no slaggings for the man.

Aye I remember posts like we are playing the best football since SBR era not long ago.

Anyway, leave it man. Posters here never think they're wrong, or they have been wrong, same for me. That's the reason why a manager shouldn't totally listen to the fans' voice.

In general he has made us a far better defensive unit. Especially during that unbeaten start to the season. Since Taylor's injury we have had some dodgy defensive performances, particularly from Simpson and Williamson.

But on the the whole we are ok defensively as he makes everyone from the goalie to the strikers work there bollocks off defensively but i have yet to see any tactical nous from Pardew in terms of improving us as an attacking side. His one tactic this season has been to put percentage balls forward and let Demba pick up the crumbs. Apart from that we have just scored individual wonder goals/freekicks from R.Taylor, Cabaye, Jonas, Ben Arfa etc.