NUFC finances for 2010/11 announced

Dave

If Ashley gets someone in who will put their sponsor around the ground but rename it St James' Park, i reckon most people would be over the moon. Cannot say I'd give a f*** if it had Sony or something on most the stands or whatever, as long as it wasn't where it says NEWCASTLE UNITED on the East Stand.

why would a company pay millions to sponsor the ground and then call its St James' Park??

To get the fans on side. Would be a perfect popularity stunt/ business move.

Anyone forking out the necessary millions would be doing so to project their brand to a wider TV/press audience. Getting onside with the locals wouldn't be their prime concern, I don't think.

If Ashley gets someone in who will put their sponsor around the ground but rename it St James' Park, i reckon most people would be over the moon. Cannot say I'd give a f*** if it had Sony or something on most the stands or whatever, as long as it wasn't where it says NEWCASTLE UNITED on the East Stand.

why would a company pay millions to sponsor the ground and then call its St James' Park??

Anyone forking out the necessary millions would be doing so to project their brand to a wider TV/press audience. Getting onside with the locals wouldn't be their prime concern, I don't think.

Well everyone in the football community is calling it St James' Park anyways. So calling it the Sony Arena wouldn't really have that much impact would it?

Well everyone in the football community is calling it St James' Park anyways. So calling it the Sony Arena wouldn't really have that much impact would it?

I've no idea. But anyone buying the naming rights would no doubt be hoping that it would.

I've no idea. But anyone buying the naming rights would no doubt be hoping that it would.

See for me it would be a popular stance with all football/sports fans too though, not just ours.

Guest VaVaVoom

Great news! We really are moving forward on every level!

RE: Naming rights...Sony @ St James' Park would be awesome, that and a massive Sony screen in the ground somewhere too! ;)

Guest Craig-NUFC

See for me it would be a popular stance with all football/sports fans too though, not just ours.

If SJP is still called SDA in 5 years time, I'm pretty sure other teams fans and all media outlets will call the stadium SDA.

If, to use the given example, Sony did buy the rights to the ground, they would do so on a long term contract, and so naming it something like Sony Arena would be more effective in getting their name out to the masses, rather than just having Sony hoardings scattered around the ground to be seen by 52,000 people every other week and a TV audience once a month.

Sad fact, but if SJP is never named that again, then Newcastle fans will probably be the only people still calling the stadium by its proper name.

I don't think a market leader like Sony would even consider us... We aren't exactñly synonymous with their market position; a club that struggles for consistency and sells their most valued assets to anyone prepared to pay the right price. Unless mike changes/tweaks his model a bit (doesn't sell star players) and we regurlarly challenge for top 4 positions I can't see why anyone would pay ten million a year or whatever it is they are asking for for naming rights....

Taking this with a pinch of salt. Unless it is revealed that Sports Direct Ltd has paid 50m for all the advertising they're getting I won't be giving credit to Mike Ashley.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00705/sport-graphics-2007_705154a.jpg

Hate the man, made alot of money from us, yet he wouldn't dream of renaming the stadium or plastering as much s*** around it.

Wouldn't rename the stadium but quite happy to rename Newcastle women.

There were ample 'Cameron Hall' and 'Shepherd Offshore' signs around the stadium. Admittedly not as many as the SD signage but it was the prominant advertising at that time.

Guest Howaythetoon

When Sir John Hall decided to save us and that's what he did by the way, he always stated from the start that his decision to come on board was primarily a business decision. He could see the boom in football coming from a mile off and got involved mainly due to the potential benefits from a business perspective. That said, he also understood how important NUFC was to the people and local econamy and that's why he also got involved. He had morals in that respect. I don't begrudge any of the money he has earned from NUFC because without his involvement we would not exist today, certainly not as a Premier League club and even a Football League club. He is/was a good man and whenever he gets interviewed about the club today you really do sense sandness in his eyes and voice, especially in not winning anything and seeing how it all ended, i.e. the sale to Ashley and relegation.

He didn't really run NUFC mind, he was basically a spokesman, an ambassador, he left the running of the club to FS, his son and Fletcher, and of course KK, who was arguably the Owner, Chairman and manager all rolled into one such was his grip on all things NUFC at the time.

I believe SJH saw a ceiling point with NUFC and indeed football in the same way he saw an impending boom in the game, and decided to get out while the iron is hot so to speak. In doing so he entrusted the club in the hands of his son and FS who to be fair, ran the club well underneath him when he was the owner. They let him down badly though, money got to them and after KK walked, they went from bad decision to bad decision until Sir Bobby.

Of the grusome twosome (DH and FS) I do believe FS was the lesser evil and I believe he wanted to own the club outright and that's why he spent his dividends on buying more shares. DH on the other hand was a playboy and cared little for the running of the club. He cared about money and power with as little invilvement as possible in terms of the day to day running of the club. FS took a lot of stick on his behalf even though DH had just as much a say and in some ways, possibly more.

Historically, the Halls and even FS, gave us our best times post-war in terms of league finishes, European football and our chances of competing for honours and so deserve some credit, especially Sir John. For me, the man is as big a legend as KK himself. When the dust is settled so to speak, historically, he will be credited with the enormous honour of saving this club and revitalising it. His Legacy is St James' Park, Alan Shearer, KK, the 3-2 win over Barcelona and even Sir Bobby. All events that would never have happened had he decided, when offered, to say no to saving this great club of ours.

The fact he made millions doesnt bother me, what he pocketed, the club has wasted far more on the likes of Owen, Luque, et al. Those are the ones I trully begrudge.

When Sir John Hall decided to save us and that's what he did by the way, he always stated from the start that his decision to come on board was primarily a business decision. He could see the boom in football coming from a mile off and got involved mainly due to the potential benefits from a business perspective. That said, he also understood how important NUFC was to the people and local econamy and that's why he also got involved. He had morals in that respect. I don't begrudge any of the money he has earned from NUFC because without his involvement we would not exist today, certainly not as a Premier League club and even a Football League club. He is/was a good man and whenever he gets interviewed about the club today you really do sense sandness in his eyes and voice, especially in not winning anything and seeing how it all ended, i.e. the sale to Ashley and relegation.

He didn't really run NUFC mind, he was basically a spokesman, an ambassador, he left the running of the club to FS, his son and Fletcher, and of course KK, who was arguably the Owner, Chairman and manager all rolled into one such was his grip on all things NUFC at the time.

I believe SJH saw a ceiling point with NUFC and indeed football in the same way he saw an impending boom in the game, and decided to get out while the iron is hot so to speak. In doing so he entrusted the club in the hands of his son and FS who to be fair, ran the club well underneath him when he was the owner. They let him down badly though, money got to them and after KK walked, they went from bad decision to bad decision until Sir Bobby.

Of the grusome twosome (DH and FS) I do believe FS was the lesser evil and I believe he wanted to own the club outright and that's why he spent his dividends on buying more shares. DH on the other hand was a playboy and cared little for the running of the club. He cared about money and power with as little invilvement as possible in terms of the day to day running of the club. FS took a lot of stick on his behalf even though DH had just as much a say and in some ways, possibly more.

Historically, the Halls and even FS, gave us our best times post-war in terms of league finishes, European football and our chances of competing for honours and so deserve some credit, especially Sir John. For me, the man is as big a legend as KK himself. When the dust is settled so to speak, historically, he will be credited with the enormous honour of saving this club and revitalising it. His Legacy is St James' Park, Alan Shearer, KK, the 3-2 win over Barcelona and even Sir Bobby. All events that would never have happened had he decided, when offered, to say no to saving this great club of ours.

The fact he made millions doesnt bother me, what he pocketed, the club has wasted far more on the likes of Owen, Luque, et al. Those are the ones I trully begrudge.

:clap:

Totally agree. Because of the money in the game now we've very little hope of eclipsing what happened under SJH

In the last few months we have all seen whats happened to Darlington, Rangers, Portsmouth, and now Port Vale with more rumoured to follow. I'm so relieved that we seem to be profiting now and that we appear to be self sufficiant.

We could easily have became a name in that list. Despite them having poor PR relations and admittedly making huge mistakes in the past you have to comment them for the way they have turned the club around financially.

Hats off to Mike Ashley and Co. and a begrudging thank you for sorting the club out.

Made some awful errors while you have been here but the position we are in now probably outweighs the shit that has gone on in the past.

Although , ultimately, the fans are the major reason for how we are doing at the moment , with the majority sticking with the club during hard times.

Taking this with a pinch of salt. Unless it is revealed that Sports Direct Ltd has paid 50m for all the advertising they're getting I won't be giving credit to Mike Ashley.

Hate the man, made alot of money from us, yet he wouldn't dream of renaming the stadium or plastering as much s*** around it.

Wouldn't rename the stadium but quite happy to rename Newcastle women.

There were ample 'Cameron Hall' and 'Shepherd Offshore' signs around the stadium. Admittedly not as many as the SD signage but it was the prominant advertising at that time.

What? Have you seen the state of the stadium now ffs. How can you even mention the few Shepherd Offshore signs that there used to be!! Incomparable!

Ashley owns the club outright. Its in his interest for the club to make a profit. He spent/wasted alot of money buying us, and don't kid yourself that he wants some of it back, hes a ruthless businessman, its something he does well.

Totally agree.

Guest neesy111

I have contacts high up in Sony. Trust me, they're interested.

I do think Sony have far bigger issues than launching a takeover of us i.e. try to make a profit after 4 years of straight losses.

I do think Sony have far bigger issues than launching a takeover of us i.e. try to make a profit after 4 years of straight losses.

Maybe they want to know how it should be done from a bloke who's making profit at two multi-million pound companies. ;)

They made profit two years ago didn't they, just this year they lost money? Sure I read £4bn loss but year before £18bn made.

disagree with some parts of that.

a)SJH never saw a ceiling point but knew when they were headed downwards, on and off the pitch and he sold up to whoever would buy, if he loved the club like you say he'd have been more thoughtful over who he was selling to.

b) fred bought more shares to stop the price falling further and he'd have more shares to sell if we found a buyer, pure self interest (in his buying more shares)

c) for all your' championing of him and his son and friend you have to wonder how well they could have done if they only wanted what was best for the club in the same way people now castigate ashley, if they hadn't drained every bit of cash they could from the club.