Fabrice Muamba retires from professional football

MW

to be honest i've known people have heart attacks, by pass surgery and be out in 4 or 5 days.

it's only really amazing because it's all been in the public eye.

Not really the same though is it?

do you really think he was dead for 78mins or he wasn't  breathing on his own for that long ?

he's lucky he had his problem in his scenrio instead of of in a school or factory when the staff are ore expenendeble hence there being less help on hand.

not a major slagging off, you'd expect companies with huge investmets in that area to have the medfial side provided for.

to be honest i've known people have heart attacks, by pass surgery and be out in 4 or 5 days.

It's (as far as I know) unheard of that a top athlete manages to return to his/her sport after a major heart issue. As much as I want to believe he'd one day be back on the pitch at a top level, I can't imagine a club would let him back on the pitch no matter how much he wanted it. Big difference between your average joe doing a normal job after something like this and athletes that have to train and put a strain on their body beyond normality virtually every day.

Guest BooBoo

Pleased to see the lad back on his feet, but to be honest I'm sick of hearing about him.

I wish him all the best, but found the reaction to his condition somewhat weird.

Pleased to see the lad back on his feet, but to be honest I'm sick of hearing about him.

I wish him all the best, but found the reaction to his condition somewhat weird.

Why? It's a sport we all spend hour after hour talking about so when 'one of our own' goes down with something like that it's natural that people will be upset/show concern? Obviously none of us know him personally but you get to know these players through watching them progress throughout their careers so you develop a tenious connection and stuff like this is always going to tug on the heart strings.

I never get the 'soldiers/normal people die every day, why don't people get upset about this!?' thing. It's obviously tragic and although any soldier that dies is very sad I will have never heard of him before and have absolutely no idea of the sort of person he was so my sympathy will be somewhat limited.

Guest BooBoo

I just think once it was seen he wasn't at risk of losing his life, it became OTT with all the t shirts, minutes applause and floral tributes.

Tributes for the likes of Gary Speed are more than justified, but this just fell like folk were falling over themselves to offer support for a lad who they probably wouldn't have previously recognised if they bumped into him on the street.

It's (as far as I know) unheard of that a top athlete manages to return to his/her sport after a major heart issue. As much as I want to believe he'd one day be back on the pitch at a top level, I can't imagine a club would let him back on the pitch no matter how much he wanted it. Big difference between your average joe doing a normal job after something like this and athletes that have to train and put a strain on their body beyond normality virtually every day.

Kanu had major heart surgery sixteen years ago and still plays. Fadiga collapsed while training for Bolton and had to receive a defibrillator and continued his career. Evander Sno had a heart attack on the pitch and still plays. Loic Remy's transfer to Marseille was held up by the discovery of a potential heart defect and he is still a top player.

I just think once it was seen he wasn't at risk of losing his life, it became OTT with all the t shirts, minutes applause and floral tributes.

Tributes for the likes of Gary Speed are more than justified, but this just fell like folk were falling over themselves to offer support for a lad who they probably wouldn't have previously recognised if they bumped into him on the street.

I see your point.

Agree. Harsh on Muamba but I think that's right.

Guest Shaun

Fuck off. What a disrespectful thing to say.

Fuck off. What a disrespectful thing to say.

:lol:

wahey, notw intern perchance?

What a remarkable story this has been.

The fact that he's been discharged from hospital after everything that's happened is a story in itself, but the fact that he's actually able to return to training again is something else. Unbelievable and hope everything goes well for him.