Fabrice Muamba retires from professional football

MW

Is there any chance of him being able to play professional football again?

Without any expertise or knowledge in the area, I would have to say no. Would you risk another cardiac arrest, and would any club allow it?

At the time it first happened I remember seeing people say things like "hopefully he can get back to playing as soon as possible" and just thinking that it doesn't matter if he ever plays again, what's important is that he lives and makes the best recovery possible.

oh how they'd react if City put a picture of a mangled plane on the front of their fanzine...

Seems to have forgotten there was nationwide grief after Munich. I guess that was that a product of twitter aswell.

Some of the Redissue cunts tweets last week.

"Will all these twatty look-at-me footballers wailing about 'praying' for Muamba stick their hands in their pockets for St Johns Ambulance?"

"What's the big deal about Muamba? Drogba goes down like that every game without needing to go to hospital"

"Should we call for a communal minute's Tweeting instead? That'd have Muamba's ticker tickety-boo in no time"

"Well put it this way: the last thing that would be of any use is a load of postuting wankers drowning us in false sympathy"

"Compare & contrast: 2: Bolton games called off after player collapses. 2: United games called off after 8 players die"

Without any expertise or knowledge in the area, I would have to say no. Would you risk another cardiac arrest, and would any club allow it?

At the time it first happened I remember seeing people say things like "hopefully he can get back to playing as soon as possible" and just thinking that it doesn't matter if he ever plays again, what's important is that he lives and makes the best recovery possible.

Exactly. Sure he'll get back to exercising and being a fit and healthy lad, but playing professional football is a whole other level. Would love to be wrong though obviously.

oh how they'd react if City put a picture of a mangled plane on the front of their fanzine...

Seems to have forgotten there was nationwide grief after Munich. I guess that was that a product of twitter aswell.

Some of the Redissue cunts tweets last week.

"Will all these twatty look-at-me footballers wailing about 'praying' for Muamba stick their hands in their pockets for St Johns Ambulance?"

"What's the big deal about Muamba? Drogba goes down like that every game without needing to go to hospital"

"Should we call for a communal minute's Tweeting instead? That'd have Muamba's ticker tickety-boo in no time"

"Well put it this way: the last thing that would be of any use is a load of postuting wankers drowning us in false sympathy"

"Compare & contrast: 2: Bolton games called off after player collapses. 2: United games called off after 8 players die"

Fucking hell. Fucking scum.

"It's aimed at the people who latched onto the situation and all their fake sentiments," he said. "The self-satisfaction of so many people on Twitter and other social networks as though their thoughts and prayers were responsible for his (Muamba's) recovery rather than the paramedics and those involved and the player's own fitness.

"You see it more and more. Whenever celebrities become unstuck it's a big issue while there are people being killed in Syria and Afghanistan who are not worth a mention.

"In no way was this intended as a dig at Muamba, why would it be? It was at the circus surrounding it."

What an attention seeking mong, man.

No. He'll almost certainly get a pacemaker and that'll be that for his professional career. Much like Ståle Solbakken and others before him.

I think there is a very good line for critiquing the Muamba reaction from football, but that's done incredibly badly. Think this piece was pretty well thought through

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/mar/21/fabrice-muamba-self-congratulation

But it was obviously horrible for the fans there, and obviously terrible for Muamba, and great he seems to be recovering though. That fails on being a sharp comment and on being funny.

So instead of congratulating itself on its eminently civilised reaction to poor Muamba's suffering, the football family might instead care to wonder to what a pretty pass things have come for a basically humane reaction to be deemed so remarkable. How low does the game have to have sunk before not directing abuse at a player receiving CPR, not chanting something repulsive about his partner, or not ranting that Bolton should have played on with 10 men for the time-wasting is deemed to be a behavioural win?

Yet you can scarcely move for those seeking to emphasise, in ever more impressed tones, how well everyone's done. By doing so they presumably seek to turn a young man's shocking and life-threatening misfortune into something of which we can all be proud. That is questionable enough – and by implication casts football as a place where humane norms disappeared long ago. Looked at another way, this has been quite the opposite of a noble week for football.

To elaborate a bit, think all the self congratulation over what is still a horrible thing went a bit out of hand, all the congratulation really belongs to the fantastic medical team.

I think there is a very good line for critiquing the Muamba reaction from football, but that's done incredibly badly. Think this piece was pretty well thought through

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/mar/21/fabrice-muamba-self-congratulation

But it was obviously horrible for the fans there, and obviously terrible for Muamba, and great he seems to be recovering though. That fails on being a sharp comment and on being funny.

So instead of congratulating itself on its eminently civilised reaction to poor Muamba's suffering, the football family might instead care to wonder to what a pretty pass things have come for a basically humane reaction to be deemed so remarkable. How low does the game have to have sunk before not directing abuse at a player receiving CPR, not chanting something repulsive about his partner, or not ranting that Bolton should have played on with 10 men for the time-wasting is deemed to be a behavioural win?

Yet you can scarcely move for those seeking to emphasise, in ever more impressed tones, how well everyone's done. By doing so they presumably seek to turn a young man's shocking and life-threatening misfortune into something of which we can all be proud. That is questionable enough – and by implication casts football as a place where humane norms disappeared long ago. Looked at another way, this has been quite the opposite of a noble week for football.

To elaborate a bit, think all the self congratulation over what is still a horrible thing went a bit out of hand, all the congratulation really belongs to the fantastic medical team.

Have to admit, I did think that a few times when everyone was going on in the media at how amazingly great the Spurs fans had been. Nowt against them, but effectively saying 'well done for not being utter cunts' is going a bit far.

Have to admit, I did think that a few times when everyone was going on in the media at how amazingly great the Spurs fans had been. Nowt against them, but effectively saying 'well done for not being utter cunts' is going a bit far.

Tbf the paid £50 to see half a game and applauded when told they had to go home at ht. Spuds fans behaved impeccably during the whole thing IMO, buy yeah, get the point it should be expected.

But....Imagine this happened in Sunderland?  :lol:

Have to admit, I did think that a few times when everyone was going on in the media at how amazingly great the Spurs fans had been. Nowt against them, but effectively saying 'well done for not being utter c***s' is going a bit far.

Agreed. One good thing is that most Spurs fans I know, and the majority of posters on the boards I use, are simply relieved that we weren't cunts rather than self-congratulatory about it. It is not hard to envisage a scenario where it wouldn't be immediately clear that something so serious was happening, or that the atmosphere was already poisonous, and fans taking the piss. I mean at every single club, obviously. I have personally sung "let him die, let him die, let him die" at injured opponents before (tongue-in-cheek, and usually only if the player in question has already been certified as a twat, but still).

However, I'm not convinced that so many people have sought to "turn a young man's shocking and life-threatening misfortune into something of which we can all be proud". It seems to me that we've just seen the usual hyperbole from the usual suspects in the press. I guess that I just haven't seen the worst of it, living in the US.

A Spurs fan may just have saved his life, though  O0

These people always seem to justify their disgusting tweets/comments as being "aimed at people who are feigning sympathy". I think that just proves they don't have the capacity to empaphise with other human beings, nor the ability to understand those who do. #psychopaths

ABH can bring 6 month cant it?

Anyway it is 'harsh' for what he has done (racial abuse) but he deserves it for his idiocy. Thick as f***.

it can, rarely does though. no problem with his sentence it's just in context it's a bit severe.