Fabrice Muamba retires from professional football

MW

He won't have been starved of oxygen for long at all - the paramedics started CPR within minutes and will have administered oxygen immediately. Unfortunately any speculation at this point is futile. If he's on life support it may have been enforced in order to rest his body and assess his neurological status. He may be on inatropes which are basically drugs that maintain the BP and 'make' the heart work. The information given in the statement isn't at all detailed and it's impossible to say what his 'chances' are - even for the next 24hrs. My gut feeling is that they'll be monitoring him by the minute overnight, and may know more in the morning. Should he have any further cardiac episodes then I'm sure everyone knows that is the worst case scenario.

In hospital-speak 'critical' is never good. There'll be an amazing intensive care team caring for him overnight and all we can do is hope and pray.

Obviously fantastic news that he's still alive but there must be a massive chance of severe brain damage after being out for so long.

Slightly off topic as him possibly suffering brain damage is just speculation. Anyway over the last month (I'm sure you all know what I'm on about) I have learnt that legally if the heart can be revived then that is classed as life and only when the chances of the heart recovering is it ok for a Dr to call it a day despite what injuries may happen to the brain.

I sincerely don't know what you're talking about - but from my foggy LLB days, is life legally not defined as brain stem activity in the UK? My understanding is that if his heart stopped for any significant length of time, his brain would be deprived of oxygen and that could possibly lead to brain damage (as Dave posts suggests). Due to the fantastic/speedy response by the various medical teams, I don't think that would have been an issue though. IIRC if you have no oxygen for 6/7 minutes+ then it might be a risk. As Cat says though, all a bit futile speculating as we don't know his medical history, the specifics of what has happened etc. Just have to hope he pulls through okay.

Obviously fantastic news that he's still alive but there must be a massive chance of severe brain damage after being out for so long.

Slightly off topic as him possibly suffering brain damage is just speculation. Anyway over the last month (I'm sure you all know what I'm on about) I have learnt that legally if the heart can be revived then that is classed as life and only when the chances of the heart recovering is it ok for a Dr to call it a day despite what injuries may happen to the brain.

I sincerely don't know what you're talking about - but from my foggy LLB days, is life legally not defined as brain stem activity in the UK? My understanding is that if is heart stopped for any significant length of time, his brain would be deprived of oxygen and that could possibly lead to brain damage (as Dave posts suggests). Due to the fantastic/speedy response by the various medical teams, I don't think that would have been an issue though. IIRC if you have no oxygen for 6/7 minutes+ then it might be a risk. As Cat says though, all a bit futile speculating as we don't know his medical history, the specific of what has happened etc. Just have to hope he pulls through okay.

In practise unfortunately not. It's actually shocking at how severe your injuries can be and legally (I use the following word loosely) "life" must attempted to be preserved.

Guest Howaythetoon

Bloody hell just seen some of the footage, heart wrenching. We can only hope he recovers. I think the high intensity of modern football in terms of being super fit and all that training needs looked into in terms of what damage if any it does to the body and its organs. We've all played football and we've all stopped for a breather. There has been many a time playing footy where I've thought "fucking hell I can hear my heart pumping" during a breather. I remember when i was into coaching a few years back reading a few articles on how you can be too fit and how it can be a bad thing. Bodybuilders are at a high risk regarding the heart. Anyway fingers crossed for the lad. Hopefully a few chants at SJP tomorrow, he's not our player but I believe in positive energy/thoughts.

I sincerely don't know what you're talking about - but from my foggy LLB days, is life legally not defined as brain stem activity in the UK? My understanding is that if is heart stopped for any significant length of time, his brain would be deprived of oxygen and that could possibly lead to brain damage (as Dave posts suggests). Due to the fantastic/speedy response by the various medical teams, I don't think that would have been an issue though. IIRC if you have no oxygen for 6/7 minutes+ then it might be a risk. As Cat says though, all a bit futile speculating as we don't know his medical history, the specific of what has happened etc. Just have to hope he pulls through okay.

In practise unfortunately not. It's actually shocking at how severe your injuries can be and legally (I use the following word loosely) "life" must attempted to be preserved.

I think you're talking about the same thing here, are you not?

Beren's right I'm canny certain. Life is determined by brain stem activity, so therefore if you're not 'brain dead' you're 'alive'. Meaning that a patient can suffer horrific brain injuries and will still be resuscitated/kept alive (LSS).

Bloody hell just seen some of the footage, heart wrenching. We can only hope he recovers. I think the high intensity of modern football in terms of being super fit and all that training needs looked into in terms of what damage if any it does to the body and its organs. We've all played football and we've all stopped for a breather. There has been many a time playing footy where I've thought "fucking hell I can hear my heart pumping" during a breather. I remember when i was into coaching a few years back reading a few articles on how you can be too fit and how it can be a bad thing. Bodybuilders are at a high risk regarding the heart. Anyway fingers crossed for the lad. Hopefully a few chants at SJP tomorrow, he's not our player but I believe in positive energy/thoughts. l

It's more likely that he suffers from an undiagnosed heart condition such as cardiomyopathy. Unfortunately it's something that can have no symptoms in young people and can lead to sudden arrhythmias/arrest.

Rather shaken by this tp know a very fit 23 year old can suffer this. Come on fabrice, pul

l through.

same. Been finding it hard to finish off a piece of work since the incident happened. I'm 23 in 2 weeks but i rarely break into a light jog these days. Times like this you sometimes think man i should hit the gym but this guy wont have a single bit of fat on him. Really hope he pulls through.

Iniesta's Facebook

Great victory and fulfill our goal of adding three more points! Today was not easy! I would like to send many tempers the Bolton Muamba player! All my support for him and his family... Don't stop fighting!

Guest Howaythetoon

Bloody hell just seen some of the footage, heart wrenching. We can only hope he recovers. I think the high intensity of modern football in terms of being super fit and all that training needs looked into in terms of what damage if any it does to the body and its organs. We've all played football and we've all stopped for a breather. There has been many a time playing footy where I've thought "f***ing hell I can hear my heart pumping" during a breather. I remember when i was into coaching a few years back reading a few articles on how you can be too fit and how it can be a bad thing. Bodybuilders are at a high risk regarding the heart. Anyway fingers crossed for the lad. Hopefully a few chants at SJP tomorrow, he's not our player but I believe in positive energy/thoughts. l

It's more likely that he suffers from an undiagnosed heart condition such as cardiomyopathy. Unfortunately it's something that can have no symptoms in young people and can lead to sudden arrhythmias/arrest.

Oh I know, but I hope this incident helps researchers look into an athletes body/organs and the impact the training and intensity levels can have on the body and organs in the same way regarding bodybuilding for example. There is obviously an underlying hidden problem somewhere but something triggered that and that something is the high intensity work out of football if you like. I could have a perfect knee but if I put too much strain on it it could knack, the same applies to the heart even if there is no heart problem that exists. It happens in bodybuilding. Mind steroid abuse hampers research into how and what impact in a negative way such workouts can do to the body/organs.

This has also made me wonder how many people know how to do basic life support. If this had happened to someone in the stand next to you at the match, would you be able to do anything until medics got there? I know that lots of workplaces offer voluntary BLS training but how well are they attended?

Guest Heneage

This has also made me wonder how many people know how to do basic life support. If this had happened to someone in the stand next to you at the match, would you be able to do anything until medics got there? I know that lots of workplaces offer voluntary BLS training but how well are they attended?

They provide stewards with basic first aid during your training, but it's rarely tested.

Got a text about this before whilst I was out - said that he could be dead so I'm so relieved that he's still fighting in there.

Horrible thing to happen. Can only imagine what the atmosphere in the stadium was like at the time. The poor bloke and his family :( Hope he pulls through!

Think it's a vitally important thing. I've got 'Emergency First Aid at Work' as do the other two people in my office at work, looked at administering CPR on babies too, which was a horrific experience in itself - hope I never have to put it into practice.

They provide stewards with basic first aid during your training, but it's rarely tested.

I just used 'at the match' as an example. I really meant 'in day-to-day life' Why don't we teach it to kids in school? (obviously older kids) They might go through their whole lives and never use it but one day...who knows?