Squad strength for next season

Unbelievable

Guest VaVaVoom

Presuming we get a new 1st team full back in the summer then our starting 11 in this 433 would be pretty fuckin good.

1st Team...

---Krul---

Santon---S.Taylor---Coloccini---*Pieters

Cabaye---Tiote---Jonas

Ben Arfa-----Cisse---Ba

* Hopefully!

Backup...

Elliott, R.Taylor, Williamson, Perch, Guthrie, Gosling, Obertan, Marveaux, Shola and Best.

Prospects...

Alnwick, Tavernier, Streete, Ferguson, Abeid, Vuckic, Richardson and Sameobi.

I expect Harper, Forster, Simpson, Guthrie, Smith, Lovenkrands and Ranger to leave.

Defence: Providing we get someone like Pieters for LB, I'd be happy with Raylor, Willo and Perch and cover and Streete and Tavernier as prospects but we could do with someone like M'Biwa in as well as he is experienced and can cover the entire back 4.

Midfield: Letting Guthrie and Smith go free's wages and allows Vuckic, Abeid and Gosling move up the pecking order for CM. Would like to see us bring in someone like Diame to cover Tiote. No need for new wingers if we are to stay with this 433.

Attack: Happy with Best and Shola as back up behind Ba and Cisse. Still think we need another striker though. A young talent who will be happy to sit on the bench and challenge for the team.

Over all we need a starting LB (Pieters), versitile defender (M'Biwa), centre midfielder (Diame), and a striker (???) to bolster our match day squad.

On top of that we need a few youngster in also to fill the squad out and push our best 18.

1st Team...

---Krul---

Cabaye---Tiote---Jonas

Ben Arfa-----Cisse---Ba

Don't know much about Pieters but that looks fucking terrific on paper.

1st Team...

---Krul---

Cabaye---Tiote---Jonas

Ben Arfa-----Cisse---Ba

Don't know much about Pieters but that looks f***ing terrific on paper.

Have Newcastle ever played a team with just one Englishman in it? Just curious, not trying to make a point or anything.

How much money do you think will be available? Is there room for you to increase your wage bill, or will you be using the money from ditching Smith, Lovenkrands et al to pay the new guys?

Unless we sell a first teamer, I don't see us spending much more than about £10m. The scouts and Pardew will have their work cut out as normal.

1st Team...

---Krul---

Cabaye---Tiote---Jonas

Ben Arfa-----Cisse---Ba

Have Newcastle ever played a team with just one Englishman in it? Just curious, not trying to make a point or anything.

Don't think we have tbh. Not on a consistent basis anyway. Makes sense though - worst pool of English players in my lifetime.

How much money do you think will be available? Is there room for you to increase your wage bill, or will you be using the money from ditching Smith, Lovenkrands et al to pay the new guys?

Unless we sell a first teamer, I don't see us spending much more than about £10m. The scouts and Pardew will have their work cut out as normal.

That would have been my guess too. I would have said the same for us, but we saved a fair bit in January. With the proper start of FFP it is going to be a fascinating close season.

1st Team...

---Krul---

Cabaye---Tiote---Jonas

Ben Arfa-----Cisse---Ba

Don't think we have tbh. Not on a consistent basis anyway. Makes sense though - worst pool of English players in my lifetime.

Yeah, we might not have been far off if it wasn't for Walker and Parker being pretty much ever-present. Clearly not a coincidence that we probably each have our strongest team in a while and there are few Englishmen involved.

GK - Krul Forster Elliot

RB - Simpson Raylor Santon Tavernier Perch

LB - Santon (Pieters) Jonas Ferguson Perch

CB - Colo Williamson Saylor (Mariappa) Perch

RM - Ben Arfa Obertan Marveaux Raylor Jonas

LM - Jonas Obertan Marveaux Ferguson Sammy

CM - Cabaye (Tiotes replacement) Abeid Guthrie Perch Vuckic

CF - Cisse (Ba's replacement) Best Shola Sammy

This is what i'm hoping for, get Guthrie tied down, perhaps a second full back and let Simpson go. Obviously would prefer Ba to stay but if he goes he must be replaced.

Trying to be realistic and thinking that one of our top players will go, possibly two. I think that will be strong enough to compete whether we make Europe or not.

EDIT - If Krul was to go for 20Million i'd be happy to give Forster a season and invest that money elsewhere.

1st Team...

---Krul---

Cabaye---Tiote---Jonas

Ben Arfa-----Cisse---Ba

Even if we had we've always had a healthy contingent of others from the British Isles.

GK - Krul Forster Elliot

This is what i'm hoping for, get Guthrie tied down, perhaps a second full back and let Simpson go. Obviously would prefer Ba to stay but if he goes he must be replaced.

Trying to be realistic and thinking that one of our top players will go, possibly two. I think that will be strong enough to compete whether we make Europe or not

Marriappa?  :scared:

GK - Krul Forster Elliot

Trying to be realistic and thinking that one of our top players will go, possibly two. I think that will be strong enough to compete whether we make Europe or not

Haha we do need a centre half but when everyone is fit it'll be Colo and Saylor starting. He's someone Pardew has looked at previously, won't cost a lot, and won't come in expecting to start every week.

GK - Krul Forster Elliot

Haha we do need a centre half but when everyone is fit it'll be Colo and Saylor starting. He's someone Pardew has looked at previously, won't cost a lot, and won't come in expecting to start every week.

We need to sign someone who should be challenging for a starting spot though.

I'm hoping for a lot, lot more than the squad you've posted.

GK - Krul Forster Elliot

We need another top class centre half regardless of Saylor. It wont beMariappa. Douglas from Twente seems to be the favorite.

GK - Krul Forster Elliot

Yes but Pardew said in January that we won't be pursuing Mariappa again in the summer. It was basically a case of "now or never" in January when we were in for him then.

Aye, I wouldn't expect much more investment than than. Still, and I will now indulge in a little daydreaming, I think we can significantly strengthen the squad with that (net) amount.

For a first choice centre back, I would expect Douglas to be available for around 5 million max, and there is also the Mbiwa transfer release clause rumor around that mark, so that's about half our budget.

Then, for the full back requirement, I'd expect Pieters to be available around that 5 million mark as well, although I hope we have identified somebody with a little more attacking pedigree. Still, 5 million should go a long way towards getting a quality full back in this market.

Then there is the "nice to haves", which as far as I am concerned would be a promising young central defender and a ditto striker. Let's say 1-2 million each, which should be covered by selling Forster to Celtic and possibly Simpson.

All of which would leave us with:

GK - Krul, Elliot, Harper, Alnwick

RB - Santon, (Simpson), Raylor, Perch, Tavernier

LB - Pieters/LB, Raylor, Perch, Ferguson

CB - Colo, Douglas/Mbiwa, Saylor, Williamson, Perch, young CB

RM - Ben Arfa, Obertan, Marveaux, Raylor, Sammy, Tavernier

LM - Jonas, Marveaux, Obertan, Sammy, Ferguson

CM - Tiote, Cabaye, (Guthrie), Jonas, Marveaux, Gosling, Perch, Abeid, Vuckic

CF - Ba, Cisse, Best, Shola, Ranger?, Sammy, young CF

I'd be delighted with something like that!

Guest Geordiedog

Aye, I wouldn't expect much more investment than than. Still, and I will now indulge in a little daydreaming, I think we can significantly strengthen the squad with that (net) amount.

For a first choice centre back, I would expect Douglas to be available for around 5 million max, and there is also the Mbiwa transfer release clause rumor around that mark, so that's about half our budget.

Then, for the full back requirement, I'd expect Pieters to be available around that 5 million mark as well, although I hope we have identified somebody with a little more attacking pedigree. Still, 5 million should go a long way towards getting a quality full back in this market.

Then there is the "nice to haves", which as far as I am concerned would be a promising young central defender and a ditto striker. Let's say 1-2 million each, which should be covered by selling Forster to Celtic and possibly Simpson.

All of which would leave us with:

GK - Krul, Elliot, Harper, Alnwick

RB - Santon, (Simpson), Raylor, Perch, Tavernier

LB - Pieters/LB, Raylor, Perch, Ferguson

CB - Colo, Douglas/Mbiwa, Saylor, Williamson, Perch, young CB

RM - Ben Arfa, Obertan, Marveaux, Raylor, Sammy, Tavernier

LM - Jonas, Marveaux, Obertan, Sammy, Ferguson

CM - Tiote, Cabaye, (Guthrie), Jonas, Marveaux, Gosling, Perch, Abeid, Vuckic

CF - Ba, Cisse, Best, Shola, Ranger?, Sammy, young CF

I'd be delighted with something like that!

Nail, head etc....

If we qualifay for Europe we need at least 6 or 7 players. 3 challenging the first team CB, LB and DM and 4 squad players. The Europa league is very long tournament and it needs a depth in squad to do well in that competition.

If we qualifay for Europe we need at least 6 or 7 players. 3 challenging the first team CB, LB and DM and 4 squad players. The Europa league is very long tournament and it needs a depth in squad to do well in that competition.

Might as well just fuck it off now then tbh. Pointless.

I don't think we need that many at all. That squad I've put above already consists of 34 players, which is more than enough to cover for injuries, suspensions, ACON and competing in multiple competitions. I don't think another DM is required if we keep what we have and I would be interested to hear where you think we need more squad players except for central defense and attack. I would rather focus on quality than quantity this close season.

You saying we need to buy 6 or 7 players? if so i disagree we need about 4 players and to give some youth players like Vuckic, Abeid, Sammy, Tavernier, Ferguson etc etc more minutes than they got this season.

Also need to remember that Marveaux, Sammy, S.Taylor etc etc being back will be like new signings.

Buy 4 and promote some youth and we will have enough to compete on all fronts IMO.

For all those injured players back we will have new injuries to count for. There will be always injury 3 or 4 at the time. If you see the reserve team result recently we are thrashed by many it is kinda crazy. Qualifying for Europe will be a different ball park and it will test our limits. Even the like of Spurs struggled this season to get anything out of the competition.