Swansea City 0 - 2 Newcastle United - 06/04/12 - post-match reaction from pg 39

Dave

Thought your performance today was on the whole very similar to us at Swansea a couple of weeks ago, and it's exactly how to go there and win.

You recognised that, frankly, they aren't good enough - if you defend solidly and with plenty back - to carve out that many clear chances. You looked fairly comfortable throughout give or take the inevitable moment here and there. It was abundantly clear you were a side playing with confidence in a defensive aspect - you were happy to let them have the ball up until 35-40 yards out, because you had the belief in yourselves they weren't going to pass it through you.

You're close to having a monopoly on the top 3 buys of the season.

Thought we were absolutely superb there. :clap:

:thup: Was angry at HT, but glad we nicked the second goal when we did and completely stagnated Swansea.

Massive three points. Absolutely massive.

Literally no idea how.

Gameplan was absolutely inch perfect.

Because we had 20% possession man. To me, it was only a matter of time til they cracked us.

But they didn't and we scored the 2nd and ended them.

Today we demonstrated the only way to play against them tbh. Contain them, pack the defense, let them pussy-foot around and knacker themselves out, play a striker who can finish.

There was a couple of people who didn't hold onto it as well as they should, namely Simpson and Jonas (who i thought was rubbish today tbh) - but all in all, we had it perfect.

I know you're not complaining though, Jonny, i'm just buzzing that we've demonstrated how diverse we can be. Liquid football one week to gritty, 'professional' football the next. This team can go very far.

Thought we were absolutely superb there. :clap:

:thup: Was angry at HT, but glad we nicked the second goal when we did and completely stagnated Swansea.

Massive three points. Absolutely massive.

Literally no idea how.

Gameplan was absolutely inch perfect.

Because we had 20% possession man. To me, it was only a matter of time til they cracked us.

But they didn't and we scored the 2nd and ended them.

Today we demonstrated the only way to play against them tbh. Contain them, pack the defense, let them pussy-foot around and knacker themselves out, play a striker who can finish.

There was a couple of people who didn't hold onto it as well as they should, namely Simpson and Jonas (who i thought was rubbish today tbh) - but all in all, we had it perfect.

I know you're not complaining though, Jonny, i'm just buzzing that we've demonstrated how diverse we can be. Liquid football one week to gritty, 'professional' football the next. This team can go very far.

I know - I agree. But tbf it's easier to say that now that at HT. If they'd nicked a goal, it would have been a different second half.

I'm delighted with the three points, I'm delighted with the performance and our defending. But I also didn't see that second goal coming at half time.

Guest guinness_fiend

It amused me how Swansea seemed to pass themselves knackered.  They were running on empty for the last twenty minutes or so.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

#9 Shirt is REALLY heavy. It takes a team of 6 to assist Cissé on putting it on before every match. Rumour has that Mike Ashley is ready to invest £3m of the Andy Carroll money in installing an Iron Man-esque construction rig to help Cissé put the shirt on quickly.

Swansea keep the ball excellently, however, they appear to lack that cutting edge. First half they were basically passing it around the back four the majority of the time. It changed for a bit when Tiote went off and they looked threatening for 20 mins or so. Second goal killed the game dead. We are clinical in front of goal at the moment.

Guest exilim

Anyone knows when was the last time we had 56 points after 32 games? and where did we finish in that season?