The other games today - 2011/12

Beren

I'm guessing whoever's 4th in Italy will be egging Chelsea on anyway? I'd imagine if Chelsea do win it then they'll get a 4th slot?

Nah, goes to a low coefficient country.

Eh?  There's no extra place is there, isn't that the whole point?

FYI the rules were changed after the Liverpool and Everton fiasco to stop it happening again....

Personally i would prefer they left it as it were and just have 5 PL teams.

Never...:lol:

I say that even if we were not in contention lol, if a team finishes 4th i believe he has earned the right to play in the CL.

4th shouldn't even qualify for the CHAMPIONS league to begin with.

FYI the rules were changed after the Liverpool and Everton fiasco to stop it happening again....

Personally i would prefer they left it as it were and just have 5 PL teams.

Never...:lol:

I say that even if we were not in contention lol, if a team finishes 4th i believe he has earned the right to play in the CL.

4th shouldn't even qualify for the CHAMPIONS league to begin with.

Yh true but the fact is it does.

I'm guessing whoever's 4th in Italy will be egging Chelsea on anyway? I'd imagine if Chelsea do win it then they'll get a 4th slot?

Nah, goes to a low coefficient country.

Eh?  There's no extra place is there, isn't that the whole point?

Thinking the same :lol:

Seems like there has been some right amateur dramatics in here, like  :lol:

Didn't want Chelsea to win tonight, but we'll get CL football if we deserve it. Settle down.

Bizarre logic.

Why's that?

Every year since 2002, if you finish 4th you've deserved Champions League football. If we finish 4th and don't get in then we've not got what we deserved. :lol:

Well Chelsea won't win it for a start.

If they do, and we finish 4th, they deserve it. Those are the rules. I'll be as disappointed as everyone else, but won't be crying.

So why did Liverpool deserve to get away with it.......

What did Liverpool get away with? It's Everton who UEFA should have told to fuck off based on their own precedent.

iirc it was the champions of the CL who werent guaranteed a place. Everton were covered

Except they lost the qualified

Which was stupid since the situation already occurred with Madrid and Zaragoza 5 years earlier, with Zaragoza getting knocked down to the UEFA Cup.  Was stupid of UEFA not to formalise it as the rule back then.

Didn't want Chelsea to win tonight, but we'll get CL football if we deserve it. Settle down.

Bizarre logic.

Why's that?

Every year since 2002, if you finish 4th you've deserved Champions League football. If we finish 4th and don't get in then we've not got what we deserved. :lol:

If they do, and we finish 4th, they deserve it. Those are the rules. I'll be as disappointed as everyone else, but won't be crying.

What did Liverpool get away with? It's Everton who UEFA should have told to fuck off based on their own precedent.

Not really, UEFA never said winners must qualify for it and the FA said 4th would be given a place in the CL. UEFA wanted Liverpool in but couldn't force the FA to enter them who wanted Everton to qualify. It's the Liverpool fans and UEFA who caused a stir about it Liverpool not being granted qualification. UEFA should have always made clear rules about it.

so only everton have benefited, which they didnt take advantage of

Everton could benefit this time around. If Chelsea don't finish 4th and win the CL then England would be granted another EL place (they can grant us another EL place but not a CL place) which would fall down into league standings which as it stands would be Everton.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

[move]OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww[/move]

Bizarre logic.

Why's that?

Not really, UEFA never said winners must qualify for it and the FA said 4th would be given a place in the CL. UEFA wanted Liverpool in but couldn't force the FA to enter them who wanted Everton to qualify. It's the Liverpool fans and UEFA who caused a stir about it Liverpool not being granted qualification. UEFA should have always made clear rules about it.

Yeah, they never formalised it, but when a unique set of circumstances arose in 2000, and then happen again in 2005, they should have just applied the 2000 ruling again for fairness sake.

I wouldn't get too upset tonight, what will be will be. If we finish fourth and Chelsea do somehow win it then aye go mental. Don't understand how people can be so devastated at tonights result, plenty still to be decided.

Guest Tyson

Pepe's favourite son status should spare him from receiving the bullet, from a trigger-happy Barca board. To effectively hand over the  league title at home (to Real), and follow that up by failing to break down ten man Chelsea. Current-day, it's hard to envision any other exceptions in the management game  surviving the fall-out. His aforementioned status has him sitting on eight of nine lives chewed up.

Barca have selectively hit the 'on' switch this year, and they've duly been punished for it. On the otherhand you have admire the focus that Jose has installed into his chargers. They just haven't dropped points, but as a motivational tool it's easier being the hunter. The  Barca team needs reinvention now. Pepe gets to experience first-hand the benefits of Barca's youth set-up. Scouting, technical development (and the current 1st team's tactics are ingrained into the kids, at the lower levels so their transition to top grade is swift) will help. The  yardstick for the best managers is whether they can reinvent a previously great team, and how well  they able to oversee the delicate balancing act that is a  generational handover within the playing group. The opportunity to get a wider reaching gauge of Pepe's chops begins now. 

Guest neesy111

That reads like neesy is taking the credit.  :lol:

"Well done and that but it was me who put you through since I predicted it"

Well I was shot down by quite a few people for saying it, probably by you actually.