The other games today - 2011/12

Beren

As good a poster you are Brummie, the "Who's Your Messiah Now" banner will not make me shed any tears for Villa going down. I hope we're the last team they play and we can unfurl our own banner, "You never even had a Messiah LOLZ" or something along those eloquent lines.

But yeah, good club, good fan (brummie).

we would do exactly the same as they did that day.

I'm sure we'd be giving their fans plenty of abuse but I don't know if anyone would go to the trouble of actually making a banner and bringing it along? That's just being a pre-meditated wanker. Could have come up with a better insult as well, we gave them plenty of material that year.

I not only fail to understand those supporting Chelski tonight, but also those saying how "fantastic" they played. They played like crap, had a man sent off, played the Sam Allardyce / Greek 04 style of footie that made Otto Rehhagel a household name that kids muttered under their breaths on schoolyard pitches when the fat kids parked their big backsides across goal.

Barca were unimaginative in their penetration, but please, for the love of football, don't promote the drivel served up by teams like Chelsea which further underline that even if they go on to win this cup, they will not be deserved winners.

Fully agree. I'd rather have my team have playing every game with 80 % of possession instead of scoring a goal, instead of winning a game. :thup:

We're 4 points ahead of Chelsea with 4th place in our own hands.

Chelsea being in the final has completely taken it out of our own hands. We won't even be able to celebrate finishing 4th if it happened FFS. How can people try to skew this to be positive is completely beyond me.

Ya coz there's no way for Chelsea to beat us at home or Man City whose still going for the title to beat us or for Wigan who is fighting off relegation and who just recently beat Man Utd and Arsenal to beat us or fir Everton to beat us at home. There's just no way for Chelsea to catch up with us. Yeah right, you're living in cuckoo land. And for the record it's not out of our hands, not unless a severely understrengthed Chelsea (they won't have a recognized CB for f*** sake) beat Bayern or Madrid in the final which is a big ask.

Has it been confirmed that Luiz' and Cahill's injuries are so serious that they will not be available in 4 weeks time? Thought not.

Guardiola has shown himself up slightly recently, as Parky says the striker issue is glaring. He's shown confidence in the kids but you can't rely on them in these types of games AND they are still lacking top class central defensive cover.

My thoughts exactly, he has to shoulder the blame for this elimination. Constant experimenting with a three-man defence/midfielders in defence and failure to address holes in the squad - only one (injured) out-and-out striker and only two centre-backs. Pedro should have been playing in a game like this instead of Tello/Cuenca, since his decision-making is much better. I think Pep just got bored.

Aye dunno why Pedro wasn't playing, Cuenca/Tello have been very good this season but to ask them to perform in a game like that with the way Barca have been playing recently was silly. Special mention to Alves today when he came on who was terrible.

Fully agree. I'd rather have my team have playing every game with 80 % of possession instead of scoring a goal, instead of winning a game. :thup:

If you play a team of midfielders it's hardly surprising that you have 80% of possession, it's not surprising when you miss easy chances and defend like clowns either. What a bunch of fanny's Barca are.

Either of the two teams tomorrow have a better chance of beating Chelsea than Barca. They have strikers and both of the teams have more to offer in the air. They can mix their passing during the game, playing more directly if needed. Barca would have done the same today if they had had someone who could challenged the Chelsea defence in the air.

Also they don't have any center backs left.

I not only fail to understand those supporting Chelski tonight, but also those saying how "fantastic" they played. They played like crap, had a man sent off, played the Sam Allardyce / Greek 04 style of footie that made Otto Rehhagel a household name that kids muttered under their breaths on schoolyard pitches when the fat kids parked their big backsides across goal.

Barca were unimaginative in their penetration, but please, for the love of football, don't promote the drivel served up by teams like Chelsea which further underline that even if they go on to win this cup, they will not be deserved winners.

This is the age old art vs. efficiency debate, and it's useless to get into as it's always a polarized one.

But it's a little misguided in this case, as Chelsea were horsesh1t and played like they were scared of Barca. They took their few chances well, but it still reeked of a team afraid and hanging on. It was small-club mentality on the biggest stage in world football -- a stage most of us place even higher than international football and the World Cup final.

If we can't tune into the Champions League to watch an even game, where should we turn?

Anyway, as I said, I'm not gonna continue this as it'll never end.

Wat?

If you want some free money, get it on us to go down.

After tonight, I am utterly convinced. There's no point hiding it or trying to tough it out, if there were any justice in football, we would be relegated, we totally, totally deserve it.

I've also never witnessed a club where the fans were so utterly disconnected from every single level of the management of the club - and I say this having supported us through over 30 years of Doug Ellis.

:lol:

I've been waiting patiently for about 20 minutes to see the last poster in this thread being brummie.  Knew it would be gold.

The loudest chanting I've heard all season was tonight, it was five minutes from the end, "Fuck McLeish M'Lord, fuck McLeish" and "Fuck off McLeish, the Villa is ours".

Although not as funnily poignant as Saturday against Sunderland as they alternated "Martin, you're a twat" with "Alex, you're a twat".

Surely you must be more fucked off with the board though?  Hiring an ex blue with a history of turgid football.  Can't blame Mcleish for taking the contract he was offered and you knew what football he'd be serving up.

Of course I am.

McLeish is a clueless anti-football idiot, but the entire world knew that.

Except for the fucking buffoons leading us.

Guest Phil K

Wat?

Agree. Absolutely ridiculous.

Either of the two teams tomorrow have a better chance of beating Chelsea than Barca. They have strikers and both of the teams have more to offer in the air. They can mix their passing during the game, playing more directly if needed. Barca would have done the same today if they had had someone who could challenged the Chelsea defence in the air.

Also they don't have any center backs left.

Same question to you: has it been confirmed that Luiz' and Cahill's injuries are so serious they are out for the rest of the season? The final is in 4 weeks plenty of time to get them both patched up.

Of course I am.

McLeish is a clueless anti-football idiot, but the entire world knew that.

Except for the f***ing buffoons leading us.

McLeish wasn't exactly a stand out candidate, it seemed mad at the time and it seems the same now.

Wat?

Agree. Absolutely ridiculous.

SARCASM my friends., sarcasm.

This is the age old art vs. efficiency debate, and it's useless to get into as it's always a polarized one.

But it's a little misguided in this case, as Chelsea were horsesh1t and played like they were scared of Barca. They took their few chances well, but it still reeked of a team afraid and hanging on. It was small-club mentality on the biggest stage in world football -- a stage most of us place even higher than international football and the World Cup final.

If we can't tune into the Champions League to watch an even game, where should we turn?

Anyway, as I said, I'm not gonna continue this as it'll never end.

Chelsea played the way most conducive to them winning the match, their attacking play has been disjointed, inconsistent, and slow for over a year now. What their team does possess is dominant physical strength and a wealth of experience throughout the side and this was utilised effectively. They were poor for 45 minutes out of 180, the first half tonight. The second half performance was brilliant from them. Absolutely fantastic defending from 9 players and great holdup play by the lone striker.