Flash in the pan or here for good?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yeah, challenging for 6th again with a good Cup run would be a very good season.

Agree with this. If we can establish ourselves as regular top 6 , Id be very happy. anything from 1st to 6th would be good.

Yeah, challenging for 6th again with a good Cup run would be a very good season.

Agree with this. If we can establish ourselves as regular top 6 , Id be very happy. anything from 1st to 6th would be good.

yeah first would be good

Guest Roger Kint

I think we'll strengthen in the summer but we can't really count on Chelsea and Liverpool to have another utter shitstorm of a season like they have this year.

Realistically I think we're looking at 7th. I'd be happy with that and a good cup run.

This for me, happy with comfortable top half in and around the Euro places.

I've doubted our ability to challenge for Europe this season but looking at our squad, there's no reason why we can't continue to challenge for Europa League spots.

We genuinely have one of the best midfield lineups in the league, our first choice strikers are excellent, Krul is one of the best up-and-coming goalkeepers in Europe and our manager seems to know what he is doing.

The key for me is keeping the first team fit because our strength is depth is not good - if Cisse gets injured we have Shola to replace him, if Ben arfa gets injured we have Obertan to replace him, if Colo gets injured.....fuck knows!

Next season will be interesting because we'll have a lot more fixtures to contend with so our league form could potentially suffer. If we can add some strength in depth though I think we could still realistically challenge for 5th or 6th

Guest sicko2ndbest

Arsenal look like they're going to be very active

Chelsea new manager means big transfers

Man Utd are not going to take kindly to being the 2nd club in Manchester

Spurs will get a huge windfall if modric bale go! If they keep same team they will be very strong again

Liverpool will not accept this season and ensure there are changes

Man City are ... Well Man City

It's going to be tougher for sure

Chellenge for Europe again/comfortable top half.  I think we'll fall short of pushing for CL.

Fully expect Chelsea and Liverpool to improve, Everton are always up there and I expect the likes of Fulham and Stoke to be more capable of a top half finish, without the distraction of the Europa.

I expect us to lose 1, maybe 2 of our class players (Ba, Tiote, HBA, Cisse etc) and 2 or 3 not so good players (Simpson, Guthrie, Best).  If we invest wisely, replace them with quality and don't start the season with a thin squad, I think we can compete on both fronts.

Centre back, full back, wide forward and some midfield cover (already supposedly got Amilfitano), plus a couple of young uns/back up players and keep the majority of the first team together and we'll have another top season IMO. 

But I am worried we won't fetch in enough quality or spend enough.  Pards has already talked up Vuckic, Sammy and Ferguson, saying they'll be playing more games and we won't drastically change our transfer plans.  I'm convinced the latter is ready to step into the first team and make an impact, I'm not so sure on the first two though.  Sammy is still raw as hell and just seems clumsy, Vuckic is never fit and suffers from not having a position.  Are players like Gosling, Perch and R.Taylor good enough as back up?

The ACN could fuck us right up and all, I'm dreading that.

I still think Chelsea might struggle to get it right for next season. Drogba will probably go, Lampard is older as well. They've actually relied on them this season despite them being in and out of the team. The investment in Torres hasn't paid off, and I think they'll go through another year of rebuilding.

As for Spurs, if they get into the Champions League, I think they'll go for it in the summer. Signing Vertonghen is massive. They need new forwards as well though, doubt Adebayor will stay. The Redknapp situation is still unclear.

Liverpool need huge investments to get back on track. I think we'll have the better of them next season again if we sign a couple of decent players in the summer.

Also, I don't we should underestimate what a little more squad depth, replacing Simpson and Williamson as well as this team gelling will mean. We could well see some significant improvement.

Nothing lasts forever, but I don't think we're a one-season wonder either. The revenue from 5th-8th/occasional EL qualification isn't enough to establish anyone in those positions -- not the way CL money established a "top four" quadropoly. But that seems to be changing too. Loads can change. Who knows what effect FFP will have, or what effect there will be from Man City sitting on the top of the table until the oil runs dry in Abu Dhabi? Unless our revenues ramp up, we'll continue to be in a position where we have to sell big sometimes. I don't believe this will happen in the summer, but we may lose a favourite sometime in the near future if a big offer comes rolling in. And who knows if our incoming transfers will continue to be quite so effective?

Top 7 aim again, next season will be much tougher the demands of competing in Europe and the League will take their toll. So I think the sensible approach is to aim for a top 7 place again and anything else is gravy.

Top 7 aim again, next season will be much tough the demands of competing in Europe and the League will take their toll. So I think the sensible approach is to aim for a top 7 place again and anything else is gravy.

Yep

Top 7 aim again, next season will be much tougher the demands of competing in Europe and the League will take their toll. So I think the sensible approach is to aim for a top 7 place again and anything else is gravy.

This. As much as we want to try and push on from the last positions, you'll have City and Man U up at the top. But other than that you'll not have a massive margin for error between 3rd and 6th/7th (if Liverpool get their act together), exactly like this season. I'd be content with us being regular challengers for EL/a cheeky challenge for CL now and then. Throw in some promising cup runs and I'll be happy.

A realistic expectation for next season is to stay in the top six.  We have a small squad as it is and with the likely departure (or speculated departures) of Smith, Best, Guthrie, Simpson, Lovenkrands, we will need to recruit quite a few players over the summer, one to improve the squad and two, to ensure we have enough players to meet the rigours of European football in addition the current seasons format.

Given the excellent recruitment under Carr, this is not a huge concern for me but I would have thought we need at least 6-8 players that can step into the team (assuming the others go) pretty quickly.

Squad - as we all know, there is a very close knit community in the squad and my concern is with a number leaving and a number coming in, would be loose the foundation on which this great season has been based? 

European Championships, Olympics and ACN - we stand to loose a number of players to these respective competitions which I feel might disrupt our season preparations and the integration of new players.

On a positive note, I think the management team and support team we have are clearly very capable - lets hope the board provide the funds we need to compete and get through the summer with the core of our team still here and intact :)

Guest Roger Kint

A realistic expectation for next season is to stay in the top six.  We have a small squad as it is and with the likely departure (or speculated departures) of Smith, Best, Guthrie, Simpson, Lovenkrands, we will need to recruit quite a few players over the summer, one to improve the squad and two, to ensure we have enough players to meet the rigours of European football in addition the current seasons format.

Given the excellent recruitment under Carr, this is not a huge concern for me but I would have thought we need at least 6-8 players that can step into the team (assuming the others go) pretty quickly.

Squad - as we all know, there is a very close knit community in the squad and my concern is with a number leaving and a number coming in, would be loose the foundation on which this great season has been based? 

European Championships, Olympics and ACN - we stand to loose a number of players to these respective competitions which I feel might disrupt our season preparations and the integration of new players.

On a positive note, I think the management team and support team we have are clearly very capable - lets hope the board provide the funds we need to compete and get through the summer with the core of our team still here and intact :)

Your first sentence doesnt really match anything else you have said :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

I would be amazed if we signed 6-8 players, that would be a pretty busy summer.

Unlike Summer 2011?

The thing that's in our favour is the age of the squad, Colo is the only regular that has hit the 30 mark and as a CB that's not as much as a concern as other positions. All the stars are on long contracts too, so we are in a strong place right now. I think we can maintain it, if we lose one or more of our star men it'll make our task a lot harder but we've put ourselves in a position now to be able to cope, and there is no need for us to cash in unless a megabucks offer comes along, then I would hope we would be able to find adequate replacements.

Important summer coming op for sure, transfer activity will  probably shape the future for the club as either a top PL side or a one season wonder. I'm pretty confident right now that we'll come out of it as the former not the latter.

Aye, my views exactly :thup:

Guest firetotheworks

Top 10 minimum again for me. Other teams will improve and we'll have a hefty schedule. I don't want us to start getting cocky about where we think we should be.

Top 10 minimum again for me. Other teams will improve and we'll have a hefty schedule. I don't want us to start getting cocky about where we think we should be.

Deluded Jawdee. Expecting a reasonably comfortable top half finish two years in a row. And you wonder why we get mocked.