Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

We've strengthened this window but we still need a forward. We look woefully short up top.

How has the first team been strengthened? With everyone fit and available the starting line-up is exactly the same as ended last season.

I'd class Anita as a starter like. We definelty have more options in midfield.

We've strengthened this window but we still need a forward. We look woefully short up top.

How has the first team been strengthened? With everyone fit and available the starting line-up is exactly the same as ended last season.

In place of who? Anita gives us a midfield option like we had with Guthrie.

But anyway, that's your idea of strengthening? Replacing one decent player with another?

Does it really need explaining again how this lots transfer policy works? We don't operate on a budget for f***s sake.

If we finish the window with no one/one more in then I'd be concerned about the lack of ambition being shown. There is/was a real chance to build on last season with players available that the club have already confirmed they have targeted. Still a few days to go but Pards isnt exactly filling me with confidence as it stands.

The club aren't interested in ambition. A good season last time out will have done absolutely nothing to change that.

You are one negative man Wullie.

Not really. If you want to kid yourself that Ashley's in this for the footballing success, go ahead. :lol:

'Marginally stronger' is about right. We've got a couple more options in midfield, but that's counteracted by less options up front. If we don't sign a right-back and a striker, it'll have been a failure.

Simpson aside we don't need to strengthen the first team, the argument always was we lack depth and the first team was mint if we could improve on Simpson.

We have strengthened the squad in midfield but the rest is either the same or got worse.

We needed to get a RB, CB and Forward tbh, but oh well it's not like we are desperate it's the same team that finished 5th with some key members having their first full season, key members coming back from long term injury and the likes of Anita coming in.

Hoping we get Debuchy in but even if we don't then it's still a very good side than can be competitive.

But anyway, that's your idea of strengthening? Replacing one decent player with another?

Anita is a far superior player to Guthrie. His work rate, pace and bite in midfield make him a better option before you even start taking technical ability into account. I think he'll be played instead of Tiote against the lesser sides of the league while he'll be interchanged with Jonas a lot too. That alone means we're not as dependant on those who played last time out, it gives us another quality option we never previously possessed.

We also have Amalfitano and Birgirimana as raw but viable quality options in the cup competitions meaning we should avoid debacles such as the Tiote Stevenage scenarion we had a the season before last.

Don't get me wrong I still want to see more faces through the door (we're crying out for a striker) but I do think we're stronger coming out of this transfer window providing we don't flog anybody, even if it's just a wee bit.

Anita is a far superior player to Guthrie. His work rate, pace and bite in midfield make him a better option before you even start taking technical ability into account. I think he'll be played instead of Tiote against the lesser sides of the league while he'll be interchanged with Jonas a lot too. That alone means we're not as dependant on those who played last time out, it gives us another quality option we never previously possessed.

We also have Amalfitano and Birgirimana as raw but viable quality options in the cup competitions meaning we should avoid debacles such as the Tiote Stevenage scenarion we had a the season before last.

Don't get me wrong I still want to see more faces through the door (we're crying out for a striker) but I do think we're stronger coming out of this transfer window providing we don't flog anybody, even if it's just a wee bit.

Fair enough, I've not seen anywhere near enough of Anita to be able to make that judgement as you have. Agree about the youngsters replacing Smith etc.

I want Debuchy and a forward, that would be upgrading the first team and replacing Best. Not convinced anything will happen.

Anita isn't an upgrade on Guthrie yet, he probably will be when he settles in but at this time I think Guthrie would have fit in better and he proved that last season when played.

Fair enough, I've not seen anywhere near enough of Anita to be able to make that judgement as you have. Agree about the youngsters replacing Smith etc.

I want Debuchy and a forward, that would be upgrading the first team and replacing Best. Not convinced anything will happen.

:thup:

Definitely.

Guest neesy111

We are 2 injuries (to both strikers) away from a major crisis.  Least we had best to come in last season or Lovenkrands at worst. 

If that's not weakened us then...

Guest bimpy474

If you dont strength in this league then you go backwards or if you're lucky standstill.

We needed to add 2 or 3 quality players and we simply haven't done that.

YET.

Guest neesy111

If you dont strength in this league then you go backwards or if you're lucky standstill.

We needed to add 2 or 3 quality players and we simply haven't done that.

:thup:

http://www.mercato365.com/infos-clubs/lille/newcastle-une-nouvelle-offre-pour-debuchy-885129.shtml

Newcastle: A new offer for Debuchy

Newcastle intends to submit a new offer for Mathieu Debuchy, the Lille right-back, who could be sacrificed in case of non-qualification for the group stage of the Champions League.

As we reported previously, Newcastle is poised to make a new proposal of around 7.5 million euros for Mathieu Debuchy (27), the right-back of Lille, whose contract expires in June 2015. Having rejected the first two offers from the Magpies, the club president Michel Seydoux could make concessions in case of non-qualification for the group stage of the Champions League. The French international has already agreed to join the club led by Alan Pardew. While Maicon is in talks with Real Madrid and Manchester City, Inter Milan are also keeping an eye on the issue.

To compensate for a possible departure of Debuchy, Lille are considering Gregory van der Wiel (the 24 year old from Ajax Amsterdam) and Anthony Réveillère (32 year old at Lyon). However, both seem out of reach in terms of wages.

Probably just based on the Mirror article, but you never know. They don't mention it.

Guest bimpy474

Show Mrs. Bimpy your posts on here and it will happen.

I meant a medically induced one, not a fist related 360 pound leathering disorder one.

So if Lille do qualify (which they should), this isn't happening?

If I had to guess I'd say that's been spread from their end as an attempt to mitigate the sale should it happen. Of course if they get through then sell him anyway that pisses on the principle, but after saying there was no chance of selling him, this seems like a convenient excuse in waiting.