Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

strange that he can go from so s*** to so good.

I imagine that was him taking a while to get used to the pace etc of the english game....when its all said and done, for the sake of a dozen shaky games, we now have Mathieu F*cking Debuchy in our first eleven. For that we should be grateful!

MOTM today for me, class player.

I think it would be a bit of a culture shock for him coming into a league which is so fast paced, and one where defensive duties should come first. He has learned when to stay back and when to push forward, and it clearly has helped sissoko playing out of position to have somebody overlapping, giving him an extra option.

I think it would be a bit of a culture shock for him coming into a league which is so fast paced, and one where defensive duties should come first. He has learned when to stay back and when to push forward, and it clearly has helped sissoko playing out of position to have somebody overlapping, giving him an extra option.

looking back it seems like we struck lucky with cabaye appearing to hit the ground running but we expected the same from gouffran, debuchy, sissoko and yanga m'biwa.

'Getting used to the league' can cover many things but it doesn't excuse the almost laughable lack of recovery pace he showed in some matches, or some of the diabolical decision-making that resulted in penalties and red cards. Some of it was schoolboy stuff.

He's in great form now - happy days - but it doesn't change my opinion of how he played previously. As Tiresias says above, he's clearly bucked his ideas up.

get yopu point but if you come in to a much higher paced, more powerful league, teams not doing well, confidence dips, you have less energy etc. using the colo example I don't think he'd have been nearly as bad in his first season (Oh yes he was Ron!) if he hadn't been surrounded by chaos and lack of confidence all round him.

Shortly after he joined we won four in six; a run that ultimately kept us up. And what was the excuse against Man City first game of this season?

I'm not going to continue this because it's going nowhere, I just think it's a little unfair for so many people to be calling out those of us that thought he put in some rubbish showings in our shirt. Obviously it's stupid to write players off completely (and I can't remenber doing that myself) but him playing well now doesn't change how he played before.

'Getting used to the league' can cover many things but it doesn't excuse the almost laughable lack of recovery pace he showed in some matches, or some of the diabolical decision-making that resulted in penalties and red cards. Some of it was schoolboy stuff.

He's in great form now - happy days - but it doesn't change my opinion of how he played previously. As Tiresias says above, he's clearly bucked his ideas up.

It actually does.... because he came from France were the pace was a lot slower he could get himself back into position.

He thought he could get away with it here but he can't so he's adapted his game, hardly ever see himself allow players to get in behind him anymore his positional sense is a lot better.

He's had to adapt his game a bit to adapt to the league and as you say its all happy days now.

Shortly after he joined we won four in six; a run that ultimately kept us up. And what was the excuse against Man City first game of this season?

I'm not going to continue this because it's going nowhere, I just think it's a little unfair for so many people to be calling out those of us that thought he put in some rubbish showings in our shirt. Obviously it's stupid to write players off completely (and I can't remenber doing that myself) but him playing well now doesn't change how he played before.

he did play rubbish, doesn't mean he is rubbish and players coming into poorly performing teams from "lesser" leagues have to be given time.

It actually does.... because he came from France were the pace was a lot slower he could get himself back into position.

He thought he could get away with it here but he can't so he's adapted his game, hardly ever see himself allow players to get in behind him anymore his positional sense is a lot better.

He's had to adapt his game a bit to adapt to the league and as you say its all happy days now.

There are a lot of factors that go into this. It's not only him who has adapted his game. Pardew looks to have also adapted to Debuchy's playing style. Sissoko now covers for his marauding runs, and quite often slots into RB while Debuchy catches his breath and jogs back into position. Clearly instructions coming from the manager and coaches during training and match preparation.

He's playing like the player I believed we were signing a year ago.

:thup:

Fantastic performance today, both going forward and defensively, really has bucked his ideas up massively.

He's unrecognisable now compared to the player that arrived.

Delighted for him  :smug:

I doubted him and I don't mind saying that, he started off shit including at the beginning of this season. Don't think I wrote him off but I just said what I genuinely thought. Glad he's now performing like the player we expected him to be. :thup:

Agree. I don't think anyone could have watched those performances last season and thought he was going to turn out well. Can we not change our minds these days or does one opinion have to last forever?!

I doubted him and I don't mind saying that, he started off s*** including at the beginning of this season. Don't think I wrote him off but I just said what I genuinely thought. Glad he's now performing like the player we expected him to be. :thup:

Agree. I don't think anyone could have watched those performances last season and thought he was going to turn out well. Can we not change our minds these days or does one opinion have to last forever?!

We have clear evidence from recent history where defenders have had trouble adapting to the league. He was poor and it was frustrating but I never thought he couldn't turn it around.