Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mathieu-debuchy-says-used-newcastle-8998932

Mathieu Debuchy says he used Newcastle United as a stepping stone for a bigger Premier League club.

The Frenchman – speaking to the media in his home country – stated it was always more than likely he would use Newcastle as a platform for better things.

When asked if it would be a stepping stone after signing for Newcastle, he said: “Yes, it was expected.

“After that, you never know what can happen, but I had already talked to my agents, and Newcastle was clearly a step before going into one of the table top clubs.

But Debuchy says Newcastle is still a club close to his heart.

He said: “I still had a great year and a half in Newcastle. I regret having left the fans, but that was expected.

“Everything was done quickly, I signed up for the World Cup, so I could not say goodbye.”

Debuchy also said that he received a call from Mike Ashley after his departure.

He said: “The president called me, he does not do it with everyone, it was a strong gesture on his part.

“It means that I have done good things in Newcastle.

“It was a bit difficult for me, I had a good relationship with the public and those of the club. It was brutal [the reaction of Newcastle fans], but I’m very happy to be at Arsenal.”

No surprise, obviously. But somehow still sad to see it so obviously spelled out. This is how we sell the club to players, not because we want to progress in any way ourselves.

Nice to see Ashley call him and offer his thanks for the quick profit too.

I'd much rather we signed players using us as a stepping stone than signing bog standard fillers like Colback or has-beens like we did in the past. It's just a case of reinvesting that money again which is the issue. In theory signing a player for 5m then selling him for 10m and replacing him with someone for 6m should be a potential upgrade.

Janmaat is better imo. One of the few deals we did well on.

Moot point really, as he'll be out the door before the end of next season too.

He will be in demand - might even go in the summer. Kerching.

I'd much rather we signed players using us as a stepping stone than signing bog standard fillers like Colback or has-beens like we did in the past. It's just a case of reinvesting that money again which is the issue. In theory signing a player for 5m then selling him for 10m and replacing him with someone for 6m should be a potential upgrade.

That will never lead to success. Which is fine by the club, but it shouldn't be acceptable to you as a fan. If these players get better then why can't we get the benefit?

Janmaat is better imo. One of the few deals we did well on.

Moot point really, as he'll be out the door before the end of next season too.

He will be in demand - might even go in the summer. Kerching.

I'd be surprised if Liverpool don't come calling. Would be a perfect fit there.

That will never lead to success. Which is fine by the club, but it shouldn't be acceptable to you as a fan. If these players get better then why can't we get the benefit?

Also negates the fact there is a very limited number of international footballers who'd be prepared to move here in the first instance so once you start going through them you're going to run out.

Also negates the fact there is a very limited number of international footballers who'd be prepared to move here in the first instance so once you start going through them you're going to run out.

The days of us being able to attract the very best (Ginola/Shearer/Owen/et al) are long gone though, where does that leave us recruitment wise?

1: Sign players to whom Newcastle will be the best they can ever achieve? ala Colback, Gouffran etc.

2: Sign players who will use us as a stepping stone? ala Cabaye, Ba, Cisse, Sissoko, Debuchy, Mbiwa, Cabella.

3: Sign has-beens looking for one last hurrah? as in the Shepherd era.

4: Bring players through the academy and create a home-grown team? like Southampton.

5: Sign the world's best? Ala Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City etc.

Of course ideally we'd either be doing 4 or 5 but our academy/coaching set up isn't good enough and we unfortunately don't have the pulling power of the very big clubs. Where does that leave us? Of the three remaining groups i'd much rather be bringing in players who want to prove themselves.

There's also no reason why we couldn't build a side up but at present that doesn't seem possible either until Ashley goes.

Imagine a side of,

Krul

Debuchy/Janmaat  Coloccini  Mbiwa    Santon

Sissoko          Cabaye

Ben Arfa                  De Jong          Cabella

Ba/Remy/Cisse

Ah, that's sweet, helping mercenaries achieve their dreams. Thanks Mike.

You obviously don't know what mercenary means

I'd say 'Motivated solely by a desire for monetary or material gain' is about as suitable a description as could be found for the likes of Debuchy. Not that I blame the lad,  I'd completely take the piss out of a club like ourselves if I had no emotional attachment.

Not a mercenary at all. We've had few at our club. Smith & Owen spring to mind.

Debuchy came here to prove himself and move on. If nobody had come in for him after 3 years he would've been very disappointed. A mercenary wouldn't care.

The first decent thing you've ever said on here. :thup: