Paul Lambert appointed manager of Aston Villa

AlanSkÃrare

Brendan Rodgers and Paul Lambert have to date achieved something similar to what Paul Jewell (Wigan) and Steve Coppell (Reading) did in their first season in the Premiership. In fact both Jewell and Coppell did better in terms of league placing. I'm not saying either of Lambert and Rodgers isn't capable of going on to greater things than Jewell and Coppell have done - but f*ck me it's a huge leap of faith by Randy Lerner and John Henry to make these appointments...

well they are leap of faiths but Villa's one is less of a leap imho, lower expectations so Lambert will have time to impliment his long term plan and unless he morphs into some strange fusion of Sam Allerdyce Tony Pulis and Alex McLeish in football terms the crowd should be on his side by default. Liverpool however have taken a gamble and a half, they sacked a Liverpool legend after he won a trophy and got to the final of the other trophy he was in but failed to get cl football so unless Rogers performs some sort of miracle he's going to get sacked

Brendan Rogers and Paul Lambert have to date achieved something similar to what Paul Jewell (Wigan) and Steve Coppell (Reading) did in their first season in the Premiership. In fact both Jewell and Coppell did better in terms of league placing. I'm not saying either of Lambert and Rogers isn't capable of going on to greater things than Jewell and Coppell have done - but f*ck me it's a huge leap of faith by Randy Lerner and John Henry to make these appointments...

could throw burley and keegan into there aswell then.

You could.

Burley came to nothing much as a manager and Keegan's second coming (I assume you mean that particular incarnation of KK) was an ill inconceived mid season panic move. The thing is Lerner and Henry have no need to panic and I can't see that either of their appointments has done enough to get a gig of that size.

Edit: sorry see where you are coming from re Keegan as in great first season in the Premiership syndrome. But my point remains.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Shame to see Lambert and Rodgers jumping ship at the first opportunity.

Grass isn't always greener.

But it's a chance to try your luck on a bigger stage and if you never try then you never know. Chance it and you might just make it, take no chance and you'll leave with that "what might have been if I tried my luck" feeling of regret.

But it's a chance to try your luck on a bigger stage and if you never try then you never know. Chance it and you might just make it, take no chance and you'll leave with that "what might have been if I tried my luck" feeling of regret.

Lot harder for managers to step up than players imo. Plus the compensation packages will be a lot higher...

Lot harder for managers to step up than players imo. Plus the compensation packages will be a lot higher...

Aye but these two(rodgers + lambert) have stepped up in the face of a challenge before because it wasn't any easy task saving them from the drop this season.  It's worth a shot they don't have too much to lose and a lot to gain.

They are both talented and ambitious, seems like the obvious choice for both to me. They weren't going to take either club much further, the clubs they are going to are the next step so why not go for a different challenge with potentially greater rewards than try to repeat what you have already achieved?

They are both talented and ambitious, seems like the obvious choice for both to me. They weren't going to take either club much further, the clubs they are going to are the next step so why not go for a different challenge with potentially greater rewards than try to repeat what you have already achieved?

For me I don't think the jobs are the right ones, in terms of club size absolutely, but not at this moment in time. Rodgers in particular is going in to a club that will take at the very very least one full season to sort out and that kind of time frame may not be given to him. Liverpool is without doubt a tempting job to take as it's a massive club, but he needs to realise that if he isn't in the top 4 at Christmas he will be under immense pressure and could well lose his job before the season is out, which could have a huge effect on his reputation. Lambert might get a lot more time at Villa as their fans might well settle for mid table next year anyway.

I seem to recall many people having pretty similar views about Alan Pardew's appointment here, i.e. he wasn't up to it...

Who knows what Rodgers or Lambert well be able to achieve. FWIW I think Lambert has something of SAF about him...

I would say both Rogers and Lambert are probably viewed as better options by Liverpool and Villa than Pardew was for us at the time. I think there is a lot less pressure on Lambert given how close to relegation Villa were. He'd have to do a pretty crap job to do any worse. Rogers on the other hand is under massive pressure given the stature of Liverpool football club. Breaking to top 4 will be a huge ask, but given the status and the ideas Liverpool fans have of the club the are going to expect it. Realistic aim next season should be a top 4 challenge for them but to Finish above us and maybe even Spurs for a 5th place finish. I am assuming Arsenal keep hold of RVP and improve and assuming Chelsea's spending and confidence after winning the CL will see them back in the top 4.

I seem to recall many people having pretty similar views about Alan Pardew's appointment here, i.e. he wasn't up to it...

Absolutely, but Pards to his credit got some good results with us in the closing stages of the season which helped, if Rodgers gets the results at the start he'll do well winning a few fans over, but he has a massive job at Liverpool. The rot was setting in even when Benetiz was manager. Sorting out Liverpool is going to take time, a shit load of time too if their ambitions are the top 4. For us Pards came in to a Newcastle side well on it's way to a new start. The shite had been shipped out and replaced with good players who all contributed to a fantastic team spirit and togetherness at NUFC, it would have been a different story had Pardew taken over from Keegan for example, which is similar to the state Liverpool are in albeit not as bad.

Liverpool fans need a massive reality check and it just won't come quick enough for Rodgers as they'll be on his back the second the results don't go their way and they drift further and further behind Arsenal, Chelsea and the two Manchester clubs. It's up to the owners really, I think Rodgers could do well there if they ignore the fans and stick by him for a couple of years while he rebuilds.

Young managers who have done well in first season in Premiership with attacking football, in recent memory :

Alan Pardew with West Ham

Owen Coyles with Burnley

Steve Coppell of Reading

Roy Keane of Sunderland

Brendan Rodgers of Swansea

Young managers who have done well in first season in Premiership with "non-attacking general" football, in recent memory :

Paul Jewel of Wigan

Sam Allardyce of Bolton

Paul Lambert of Norwich

Alan Curbishley of Charlton

None of this bar perhaps Sam Allardyce at Newcastle has been given a shot at big job.

Make your own conclusion. I personally think Liverpool made a bold but bad choice. They should have just hired Luis Van Gaal instead.

Guest neesy111

Aye but these two(rodgers + lambert) have stepped up in the face of a challenge before because it wasn't any easy task saving them from the drop this season.  It's worth a shot they don't have too much to lose and a lot to gain.

Was the easiest season to keep teams up with the drop in quality in the league.

paul Jewels original wigan side were good going forward, Alan Curbishleys were dour as fuck away from home.

Roy Keane attcking football with sunderland ?  :lol:

Think its unfair to say Norwich were a defensive side this year, they put enough past us at home. Don't mistake defensive with organised.

Lamberts going to be a very good manager IMO. As someone else said, he has a touch of the fergy about him.

Guest Roger Kint

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews

BREAKING NEWS: Police arrested a drunk middle aged woman outside Paul Lamberts home last night screaming 'where are you? lets be 'aving you'  #SSN

Was the easiest season to keep teams up with the drop in quality in the league.

Or maybe the two actually made their respective teams better than you give credit for. It's arguable.

Guest gggg

They're not that daft

McNally (cont): 'We have not made an approach to @celticfc regarding Neil and we will not be making an approach.'