Paul Lambert appointed manager of Aston Villa

AlanSkÃrare

I'm guessing most rational Norwich/Swansea fans won't begrudge their managers leaving to find that fabled next level given the work they're done for their respected clubs.

It'll be interesting to see where Norwich go from here, I think Malky McKay would be a good appointment personally.

Baffling how there's a view that Lambert 'left Norwich in the shit'. He's taken them from League 1 to Premier League mid-table in only a few years, and he's left the club only a few weeks after the end of the season, leaving them plenty of time to get a new manager in.

Also, Villa is a good move for Lambert. He can't do any worse than McLeish, so even if he has an indifferent first season there and they finish a few places higher or with 10 more points, it'll be marked as progress and he'll keep his job. Personally, I think he'll do well at Villa.

I actually think Bruce would do ok for Norwich actually. What happened at Sunderland this season was funny, but he seems to have done decent when on a budget.

Would this put their 'Friendly Cup' thing in jeopardy?

"Lord Sugar ‏@Lord_Sugar

Who is Paul Lambert the new manager of Villa ? , who did he manage before ? can't place his face @GaryLineker"

Out of touch old bastard, fucking hell.

:lol: Class. What a retard.

"Lord Sugar ‏@Lord_Sugar

Who is Paul Lambert the new manager of Villa ? , who did he manage before ? can't place his face @GaryLineker"

Out of touch old b******, f***ing hell.

Poor man. Alan Sugar's knowledge about football these days is really shit.

"Lord Sugar ‏@Lord_Sugar

Poor man. Alan Sugar's knowledge about football these days is really shit.

His knowledge about everything is fucking shit. He uses twitter like a search engine, asking his followers stupid questions that can be answered with a quick Google. Dumb fuck. Makes me irrationally angry :lol:

"Lord Sugar ‏@Lord_Sugar

Poor man. Alan Sugar's knowledge about football these days is really s***.

His knowledge about everything is f***ing s***. He uses twitter like a search engine, asking his followers stupid questions that can be answered with a quick Google. Dumb f***. Makes me irrationally angry :lol:

He's a right miserable bastard too. If you send him the tweet, "You're fired", he'll block you :laugh:

"Lord Sugar ‏@Lord_Sugar

Out of touch old bastard, fucking hell.

Christ, he wants to learn a bit of fucking grammar, too, spaces before question marks?

You're a shambles. With regret, you're fired (or as he'd probably say, 'your fired', the halfwit).

Baffling how there's a view that Lambert 'left Norwich in the shit'. He's taken them from League 1 to Premier League mid-table in only a few years, and he's left the club only a few weeks after the end of the season, leaving them plenty of time to get a new manager in.

Also, Villa is a good move for Lambert. He can't do any worse than McLeish, so even if he has an indifferent first season there and they finish a few places higher or with 10 more points, it'll be marked as progress and he'll keep his job. Personally, I think he'll do well at Villa.

That's the thing, I keep hearing people in the media going on about unreasonable expectations (funnily enough, the same stick they used to beat you with relatively recently), as if it was unreasonable to consider a season in which we had fewer home wins in any season since the football league was formed in 1888 - ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FOUR FUCKING YEARS - to be unacceptable. And that includes seasons in which we only played 11 home games, FFS.

Admittedly, we've not won much in trophies since Sky invented football in 1992, but we've finished in the top six in nine of the twenty or so seasons since then, so it's really not at all unrealistic to think that finishing with less than 40 points, in 16th position, and having averaged one goal a game is not good enough.

McLeish was a disaster, and the only reason half the mongs in the media defend him is because there is a merry go round of utterly shit British managers who seem to walk into multi million pounds a year jobs without ever actually showing they can achieve anything, and the football world just consists of idiots protecting their own.

There's a decent core of playres there, still - Given, Agbonlahor, Ireland (who was excellent last season, unbelievably), Bent, N'Zogbia, Makoun (who likes to pass too much to play for a McLeish side) - and some really promising youngsters, many of whom did well last season (Gardner, Herd, Ciaran Clark, Bannan, Weimann, Baker, Lichaj, Carruthers) - so there's no way we should have finished 16th.

We've now managed to shift a few more of the hopeless dross MON signed on insane wages. Heskey has gone, with his 65k a fucking week. Beye, aged 35, and his 40k a week too. Annoyingly (I'd have kept him), Cuellar has still gone as well.

Word is, Lerner is going to back him with 25m to spend this summer, and I think he could spend it pretty well.

It really is inconceivable that Lambert could do any worse than that useless anti-football tossbag, so he's made a pretty canny decision, i think. Expectations are rock bottom right now. A mid table finish in his first season, move some of the shite on (Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Hutton), get some solid players in, and people will be very happy.

Last year was a reality check. To the fans in terms of how easy it is to find yourself at the arse end of the table, to the owner in terms of what happens when you try to reduce the wage bill too quickly, and to the upper management of the club with regard to the sort of football people were and were not prepared to put up with.

We were every bit as bad as you were when you went down. We were lucky not to, and if i had been a supporter of another club, I'd have wanted us to go down, so mind bendingly shit was the football we played. Almost 40 years of going to games now, and I have seen some poor Villa sides, but I've never been as embarassed of my club as I was last season. I never want to feel like that again.

I think Lambert is a decent appointment. If he moves on, he'll move into one of the really big jobs, and if he's considered for those, I think he'll have done an excellent rebuild job for us.

In fact, this reminds me very, very much of when Graham Taylor came in 1987. Correctly identified the club was a fucking shambles from top to bottom, and rebuilt, and had us promoted and then challenging for the league title. That's the sort of mess we are in now.

Completely forgot that Makoun played for Villa.

No way was McLeish going to put up with any of that passing nonsense.

Consider this. Makoun was shovelled out on loan, and at times last season, we played Heskey in midfield.

We also played Alan Fucking Hutton (one of the worst players we've ever had) in midfield. And Stephen Warnock.

God. I wish i could get some mind bleech and scrub last season out of my mind.