Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

The left side was massively exposed. He's not a left back and it showed. I don't really see the point in having a go at Anita when he's playing out of position thanks to our policy of hoping our plethora of mediocre left backs won't spend half the season on the treatment table.

Guest neesy111

The left side was massively exposed. He's not a left back and it showed. I don't really see the point in having a go at Anita when he's playing out of position thanks to our policy of hoping our plethora of mediocre left backs won't spend half the season on the treatment table.

This, it really should had been Mbemba LB or Sissoko there.

9 fucking players have played at LB this season.

Pity he's shite in his actual position too

Colback isn't a left back either but he got slated for his performance there (justifiably so). Anita has been a total non entity since we signed him and when he has started games he's nearly always hooked before the end.

Guest neesy111

It's no wonder we concede so many goals from set pieces as we give away a stupid amount of freekicks from all positions.

Pity he's shite in his actual position too

Yeah by all means slate him as a midfielder since that's what his actual job description is, but that's not where he was playing yesterday. If we are talking in general terms then he is one of a number of central midfielders we have bought through Carr who aren't physically capable of imposing themselves in the premier league alongside Colback and seemingly Saivet.

I'm not sad enough to actually go looking for a quote but come on, you must've said something negative about Colback as a left back at some point, it's exactly the same in that they started at lb and then we're moved to the centre.

He's just not very good.

I'm not sad enough to actually go looking for a quote but come on, you must've said something negative about Colback as a left back at some point, it's exactly the same in that they started at lb and then we're moved to the centre.

He's just not very good.

I have said negative stuff about Colback as a left back, but when he's played there he's generally been well protected, either by the midfielder in front of him or Coloccini who comes out of central defence and closes any space. Yesterday Anita was often left isolated with no cover either side. With their physiques I don't think you can have either Colback or Anita given sole defensive responsibilities either in midfield or defence, and I've said this plenty of times previously.

Anita has looked iffy there in the past. Mixed bag.

Leftback has been an issue all year and was the year before. We had something good going down the right with sissoko and Janmaat. Not ideal but reasonably effective. The problem is that became our only attacking outlet. We still lack through the middle but especially down the left. Sissoko playing at LB and to a point Aarons are the only times we have seen some attacking intent that comes close to matching the right. Obviously neither the left, right or centre works at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Any good at RB today?

Yes, he stuck to his guns and stopped Montero a few times when he could have done a lot of damage. I don't think he got done badly at all and you can't really ask for more than that from a makeshift RB.

Any good at RB today?

He did most things well and didn't look out of place, I think he gave us more protection than Janmaat usually does.  Two weeks ago I would have thrown him in the Tyne.