Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Never been his biggest fan but he's really impressed me at right back. He's a pretty intelligent player but was never physical enough to play in the middle in this league. However full back is one of those positions where you can get away with being 5'6" and 9 stone wet through and I think he's clever enough to retrain in that position.

aye, one thing he's always had is good timing in the tackle and that'll certainly help him if we decide to deploy him at FB going forward

he could probably cover on the left as well which would be a bonus over daywalker

Ultimately the most impressive thing about Anita for me is that he's been totally up for this fight whereas Janmaat, even with all his theatrics and chest beating, has bottled it. Anita had his best game for us against WH last year when also playing at RB IIRC and he epitomised the bravery and determination we needed to win that game and stay up.

Considering how Anita has been shuffled around and out of the team he's been a model pro all the time he's been here TBH.

Ultimately the most impressive thing about Anita for me is that he's been totally up for this fight whereas Janmaat, even with all his theatrics and chest beating, has bottled it. Anita had his best game for us against WH last year when also playing at RB IIRC and he epitomised the bravery and determination we needed to win that game and stay up.

Considering how Anita has been shuffled around and out of the team he's been a model pro all the time he's been here TBH.

Wouldn't call him a model pro. Clearly has a balanced personality but he doesn't have that spirit of determination on the pitch a model pro needs.

He is doing well at right back now tho. I've gone from wanting to punch him in the face to wanting him to continue at right back for the foreseeable future.

Wouldn't call him a model pro. Clearly has a balanced personality but he doesn't have that spirit of determination on the pitch a model pro needs.

He is doing well at right back now tho. I've gone from wanting to punch him in the face to wanting him to continue at right back for the foreseeable future.

What? He's one of the most inoffensive players we have.

Can't argue with this at all.

a model pro is just someone who gets on with it, never complains, and does what he's asked if it means operating outside his comfort zone

anita ticks all the boxes tbh

Think it's fair to say that having Rafa as manager and the trust Rafa has put in him has helped improved his confidence and he's playing by giving his all. Sure maybe when Rafa first came and put him in the center of midfield, it didn't quite work out well but anyone would struggle playing alongside finger-pointing Shelvey or the ginger Pirlo. Glad that he seems to be ok for Saturday.

Guest reefatoon

Also, he's a significantly better midfielder than Colback. So am I like, but it's worth saying.

Never showed it, always looked just as shite.

This is key for me. He's had bad games before, but he always gives 100% and doesn't hide, no matter what position you play him. Long term he's probably not good enough, but he fully deserves to be in the side on merit in our current position. If we had his attitude throughout the squad we would never have been in this position.

Guest Howaythetoon

Him, Dummet, Darlow, Lascelles and Colback have been really good under Rafa - surprisingly so. Dummet and Colback are extremely limited ability wise, shite in fact, but I think Rafa is someone who can make them become competent players within a certain system.

He's performed exceptionally well considering the circumstances but there's no way in hell we should even consider him being our RB (or anywhere in the starting XI) next season. If we stay up anyway.

Him, Dummet, Darlow, Lascelles and Colback have been really good under Rafa - surprisingly so. Dummet and Colback are extremely limited ability wise, shite in fact, but I think Rafa is someone who can make them become competent players within a certain system.

If we stay up I think Rafa will be looking to replace Colback. He's doing okay at the moment in that he at least knows how to stick to instructions and keep to the team formation, but even then he is regularly being caught short of pace and ends up tugging players down to stop them getting past him.

If we go down then yeah, Colback would be fine for a championship side.

I bet Townsend and Lascelles are probably making the strongest cases for being key starters next season and likely Sissoko too (who I think Rafa sees massive potential in). The rest are all up in the air IMO.