Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

He looks like he's a bit low on confidence to me. Not sure of how he can affect games or what he's meant to be doing. He's weak too.

But, he's quick, good stamina and good technique. Give him a bit of time. Reckon there's a tidy player in there who will come through.

Impossible to judge him at this stage unless it's in a 3 and with other players who have been coached into this system. He keeps getting caught in possession and muscled off the ball - players who play for teams that can play this way don't even have the opportunity to be caught in possession because they've released the ball to a player in space almost immediately. We don't bother passing and moving so how can you judge a pass and move player who has absolutely no options to release the ball other than hang onto it and get caught?

Impossible to judge him at this stage unless it's in a 3 and with other players who have been coached into this system. He keeps getting caught in possession and muscled off the ball - players who play for teams that can play this way don't even have the opportunity to be caught in possession because they've released the ball to a player in space almost immediately. We don't bother passing and moving so how can you judge a pass and move player who has absolutely no options to release the ball other than hang onto it and get caught?

Is about right, but Anita is a symptom of our ludicrous 'buy whoever we can make a profit on' transfer policy, thus he's taking the heat.

Is about right, but Anita is a symptom of our ludicrous 'buy whoever we can make a profit on' transfer policy, thus he's taking the heat.

Leon Best aside, who have bought that we have made a substantial profit on in the past few years?

I don't know the reasons behind it but fuck me, this guy was absolutely abysmal last night. Seriously, seriously bad.

This.

I can understand if it was PL game and he's not used to the pace and power etc.

But it was a Europa Game against piss poor opposition who gave hime a lot more time and space yet he was largely anonymous.

That's pretty much spot on I reckon - one of the standout features of our struggles recently is the almost complete lack of intelligent off-the-ball movement.

Looks like a really good player, you can see he's a product of the Ajax academy- very well groomed technically...he's an intelligent player. It's very hard to judge him in games where we are constantly outnumbered, though. Why wasn't Bigirimana holding with him last night? We got completely overrun (again) in the second half, Anita's been trying to do the work of two men in the last few games. He's come from a football environment where tactics such as Pardew's are alien to him, you can see the lack of movement from our team doesn't suit his ability and what he has to offer us. I really like him as a player and hope that we soon find a system that accommodates players like Vernon; under the right manager he could flourish.

And for me, when people were bemoaning his signing saying we didn't need him: of course we did, we just needed to bolster our defensive ranks as well but failed miserably to do that. That's not his fault, that's Mike Ashley's fault for refusing to acknowledge the fact that to compete at the top domestically and in European competition he's got to spend money. It's shit, but the way football is nowadays it's incredibly difficult to compete when your sole aim is to balance the books. 

Will be moved on to Fulham in the summer, as he won't be considered good enough to play our expansive football.

Will then go on to become the best midfielder in the league before moving on to Real or Barcelona to become one of the finest in the world.