Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

I thinks he's looked good so far, he plays the ball well and is good at holding it up, he just can't shoot for s***.

Good? A striker who can't shoot for shit? We can't afford to spend £8m of our very limited transfer budget on a striker who can't shoot.

You can't buy a goal scorer for £8m. Well Arsenal can, but there's only so many Remy's knocking about.

He's a good footballer but not a goalscorer. We knew this when we signed him.

Yup, his link up play is decent and is obviously streets ahead of Cisse/Shola but he looks petrified when presented with a chance.

There's no point in buying him unless we also have another striker lined up who can move, threaten the goal and create chances. Otherwise keep Cisse and spend the De Jong money on that player.

I would not contemplate keeping Cisse as he has turned to utter shite with no signs of getting better. We should get what we can.

I thinks he's looked good so far, he plays the ball well and is good at holding it up, he just can't shoot for s***.

Good? A striker who can't shoot for s***? We can't afford to spend £8m of our very limited transfer budget on a striker who can't shoot.

You can't buy a goal scorer for £8m. Well Arsenal can, but there's only so many Remy's knocking about.

I'm not talking about a 20 goals a season striker.

Having said that, I've just looked at this and it's amazing how few goals are scored by strikers outside the top 6: -

Premier League Top Scorers

Rank Player Name Team Goals

1 Luis Suarez Liverpool 24

2 Daniel Sturridge Liverpool 18

3 Sergio Agüero Manchester City 15

4 Eden Hazard Chelsea 13

4 Loïc Remy Newcastle United 13

4 Yaya Touré Manchester City 13

5 Olivier Giroud Arsenal 12

5 Jay Rodriguez Southampton 12

6 Wayne Rooney Manchester United 11

6 Robin van Persie Manchester United 11

7 Romelu Lukaku Everton 10

8 Christian Benteke Aston Villa 9

8 Wilfried Bony Swansea City 9

8 Rickie Lambert Southampton 9

8 Álvaro Negredo Manchester City 9

8 Danny Welbeck Manchester United 9

9 Emmanuel Adebayor Tottenham Hotspur 8

9 Edin Dzeko Manchester City 8

9 Steven Gerrard Liverpool 8

9 Aaron Ramsey Arsenal 8

10 Samuel Eto'o Chelsea 7

10 Adam Johnson Sunderland 7

10 Adam Lallana Southampton 7

10 Kevin Nolan West Ham United 7

11 Roberto Soldado Tottenham Hotspur 6

There's no point in buying him unless we also have another striker lined up who can move, threaten the goal and create chances. Otherwise keep Cisse and spend the De Jong money on that player.

I would not contemplate keeping Cisse as he has turned to utter shite with no signs of getting better. We should get what we can.

Ashley's not going to get rid of Cisse if it means spending big on a replacement.

I like him but its quite clear you don't want him to be your main source of goals.... as a compliment to someone else he's great as last week showed but you don't want him being the main man.

Basically if we buy him in the summer, we have to realise that we are going to need to get someone similar to Remy in quality to compliment what he brings.

Assuming of course we don't get Remy which in all likelyhood we won't.

I like him but its quite clear you don't want him to be your main source of goals.... as a compliment to someone else he's great as last week showed but you don't want him being the main man.

Basically if we buy him in the summer, we have to realise that we are going to need to get someone similar to Remy in quality to compliment what he brings.

Assuming of course we don't get Remy which in all likelyhood we won't.

This :thup:

I like my strikers to score goals. If Luuk de Jong doesn't score at least a couple of goals during the rest of his loan I wouldn't want NUFC to spend £8m of our no doubt very limited transfer budget on him. Our side lacks goal threat when Remy doesn't play. If Remy isn't here next season we need to buy players who can score goals. We already have strikers who don't score goals. I don't want to replace Shola with someone else who can't score. Long and Jelavic are nothing special but they can score goals. Surely NUFC can find strikers who can score goals?

Bellamy never scored that many but he was a fantastic compliment to the goalscorer that was Shearer.

I see the same with Remy and De Jong in terms of one adds a lot in terms of the general play and the other takes advantage by scoring the goals so it didn't matter a great deal that said compliment doesn't score much. ( ofcourse Bellamy and Shearer were much much better though)

For a striker to score goals is important yes but what's more important is the partnership upfront compliment each other.

We have seen far many times over the years, teams buying two strikers who score but don't compliment each other ( I.E. Cisse and Ba)

Instead of looking at each player as individual and what they can bring as individuals it would be wiser to look at how each player compliments one another for the good of the team.

I'm for signing him permanently if we can get the Remy equivalent to go alongside him( i fully realise that is lala land though)

Signing Luuk de Jong because he may turn out to be a good foil for another striker to play off isn't a good enough reason for me. We are unlikely to buy a goal scorer if we spend £8m on Luuk de Jong. Nolan plays off Carroll but Nolan also scores goals. Bellamy scored goals and his pace created chances for the rest of the team. Luuk de Jong hasn't scored goals since he was in the Netherlands.

Can we still get Gomis?