Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

I hope and think we can do better. One good season in the Eredivisie does not a good striker make...

Though he is young, short on match fitness and confidence, I wouldn't be totally opposed to him being signed at the end of the season to replace Cisse. Luuk scores alot of goals from headers, which requires service. Debuchy aside, he isn't going to get that here.

Guest chopey

We need to spend a shit load of money this summer, I don't think any of it will be spent on powder puff DE jong

Was in the Fulham end with a Client on Saturday and was really close to LDJ's area of the pitch so spent a lot of time watching him.

Inevitably, he's not got a forward option when he wins the ball. 90% of the time he passes back into midfield.

The partnership with him and Cisse just cannot work. Cisse was occupying LDJ's space loads in the first half so when LDJ won a ball, Cisse was surrounded by the same group of players as him.

He's the type of forward that needs players making runs off him. I'm sure it's been said before but him down the middle and Remy and HBA moving either side would be the obvious short term solution.

He's certainly competent in the air and gave Fulham's CB's some problems in that regard. It's no good winning flick on's or holding the ball up if you've got fuck all to work with though.

I like him and feel we could do something with the guy but we'd have to mould our attacking set up around him.

Winning flick ons and holding the ball up is all well and good but we need an out and out goal scorer. If Luuk de Jong doesn't turn out to be that then NUFC can't afford to spend their limited striker budget on him. It's no good having someone supplying the bullets if there is no one who can reliably fire them.

Winning flick ons and holding the ball up is all well and good but we need an out and out goal scorer. If Luuk de Jong doesn't turn out to be that then NUFC can't afford to spend their limited striker budget on him. It's no good having someone supplying the bullets if there is no one who can reliably fire them.

Agree with that but can't see that we won't invest in a 'goalscorer' when Remy fucks off and Cisse is sold. We'll have to. Surely?

Agree with that but can't see that we won't invest in a 'goalscorer' when Remy f***s off and Cisse is sold. We'll have to. Surely?

If we spend £8m on Luuk de Jong how much of our transfer budget would be left to buy a goal scorer? Also, as others have said, we don't want to put all our eggs in one basket so ideally we'd need to buy two goal scorers (based on his form for the last 2 seasons I'm not counting de Jong as a goal scorer). That way when one is out of form or injured we have someone else to come in.

That's before we count the cost of buying the goal scoring and creating midfielders we also need.

Guest Roger Kint

Haven't spent fuck all in 18 months and we are worrying about spending 8 million.

How pitiful we are

When we realistically need three strikers its not pitiful at all to question £8m on one who doesnt score

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Luuk as a striker has been piss poor but as a number 10 he has had some encouraging moments. Link up play is good, wins a lot of fouls but as a number 10 you also have to show attacking intent and get a few goals and assists. So I'd give him a few more matches and see if he can work on his end product

I like him, but ultimately don't think we can afford to have this kind of player in the team, because we don't utilize him properly, due to our crap build up play ,and he's not enough of a great athlete to carve out opportunities out of nothing, which is what we often rely upon. We're a shambolic disgrace of a side.

I don't follow German football so I don't know how good Borussia Mönchengladbach are or how they play but they couldn't find a way to "utilize" Luuk de Jong "properly". Do Borussia Mönchengladbach have wingers? Do they create many goal scoring chances?

Good questions.

I don't follow German football so I don't know how good Borussia Mönchengladbach are or how they play but they couldn't find a way to "utilize" Luuk de Jong "properly". Do Borussia Mönchengladbach have wingers? Do they create many goal scoring chances?

If you watch the game against Fulham you might have noticed that for all his poor form, it was Cisse who was getting in positions to score goals. If Borussia Mönchengladbach have wingers you'd fancy he would be more likely to be on the end of the crosses ahead of LDJ.

I did find this article and put it on here right before he signed

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1886885-should-luuk-de-jongs-bundesliga-failure-concern-premier-league-suitors/page/2

Borussia Monchengladbach manager Lucien Favre has phased out the No. 9 position at the club, which is why Luuk de Jong, a €15 million signing from Twente, does not have a future at Gladbach.

De Jong scored six league goals in 23 league games last season in a campaign adversely affected by knee surgery and resentment towards Favre.

De Jong must wonder how different his debut season would have been if he had assistance from Max Kruse or Raffael.

Kruse, an all-round attacker, was Freiburg's MVP after being involved in 19 league goals (11 scored and eight assisted) and could be included in the German 2014 FIFA World Cup squad.

Raffael, an audacious, crowd-pleasing footballer, was looking to rebound after a tough period at Dynamo Kyiv and spent the last half of the season on loan at Schalke.

Arriving at Gladbach, Raffael had the inside-track having played under Favre at FC Zurich and Hertha Berlin.

Instead of Kruse and Raffael competing to play behind De Jong, Favre radically altered Gladbach's playing style to cater to a 4-4-2 without a No. 9.  De Jong has thus been frozen out (he averages 7.4 minutes in the Bundesliga this season).

Both Kruse and Raffael are deep-lying forwards, dropping into midfield to facilitate, taking on opposing players and conjuring up moments of brilliance every game (and it's been working beautifully so far, with 16 goals and eight assists between them).

De Jong is a classic example of the Gladbach administrators wanting him but the manager, Favre, objecting and being burdened with a player that isn't his.

"Our head coach Lucien Favre has said from the start he didn't have 100 percent confidence in De Jong filling the striker position," Borussia board member Hans Meyer said, via Sky Sports. 

Meanwhile, sporting director Max Eberl said, via Sky Sports: "It's a difficult situation for Luuk, but we are just as happy to have him first in our squad as other clubs would be when they have such a player."

By going to a formation without a No. 9, Favre knows there is no going back for De Jong.

Favre is pushing De Jong out of Gladbach, so this is the context behind his struggles that you need to factor in when you're assessing him

He would be a good signing along with another couple of strikers and an attacking midfielder. But if we can't buy those players there's no point in signing him permanently. I like him though, seems an intelligent player with good touch.

O0

Is pretty much the way I see it too Ian. Sadly,soley due to the continued failings of the regime to adequately plan and reinvest and because of our inept management structure, we need a massive rebuilding phase this summer imo, and I have zero faith in them doing it.

Next season is going to be hellish.

I did find this article and put it on here right before he signed

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1886885-should-luuk-de-jongs-bundesliga-failure-concern-premier-league-suitors/page/2

Borussia Monchengladbach manager Lucien Favre has phased out the No. 9 position at the club, which is why Luuk de Jong, a €15 million signing from Twente, does not have a future at Gladbach.

De Jong scored six league goals in 23 league games last season in a campaign adversely affected by knee surgery and resentment towards Favre.

De Jong must wonder how different his debut season would have been if he had assistance from Max Kruse or Raffael.

Kruse, an all-round attacker, was Freiburg's MVP after being involved in 19 league goals (11 scored and eight assisted) and could be included in the German 2014 FIFA World Cup squad.

Raffael, an audacious, crowd-pleasing footballer, was looking to rebound after a tough period at Dynamo Kyiv and spent the last half of the season on loan at Schalke.

Arriving at Gladbach, Raffael had the inside-track having played under Favre at FC Zurich and Hertha Berlin.

Instead of Kruse and Raffael competing to play behind De Jong, Favre radically altered Gladbach's playing style to cater to a 4-4-2 without a No. 9.  De Jong has thus been frozen out (he averages 7.4 minutes in the Bundesliga this season).

Both Kruse and Raffael are deep-lying forwards, dropping into midfield to facilitate, taking on opposing players and conjuring up moments of brilliance every game (and it's been working beautifully so far, with 16 goals and eight assists between them).

De Jong is a classic example of the Gladbach administrators wanting him but the manager, Favre, objecting and being burdened with a player that isn't his.

"Our head coach Lucien Favre has said from the start he didn't have 100 percent confidence in De Jong filling the striker position," Borussia board member Hans Meyer said, via Sky Sports. 

Meanwhile, sporting director Max Eberl said, via Sky Sports: "It's a difficult situation for Luuk, but we are just as happy to have him first in our squad as other clubs would be when they have such a player."

By going to a formation without a No. 9, Favre knows there is no going back for De Jong.

Favre is pushing De Jong out of Gladbach, so this is the context behind his struggles that you need to factor in when you're assessing him

Oh the days of having a manager who had balls, a plan and mettle to buy his own players.

Mind you, I wouldn't want Pardew having any of the above :)