Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

Think we can do a lot better personally. Looks too weak and slow for the Premiership.

That the overriding opinion from what i've seen, he looked pretty good against Hull but that really was it. He looks completely unsuited to Pardew's tactics of chasing around like a headless chicken, mind you, so do most of our players :lol:

Yup plus his lack of form and playing time, plus settling into a new country plus Pardew and his brand of football meant this lad had no chance.

Guest bimpy474

You can still shoot with more power than a wet musket, with all those aforementioned, very real, factors taken into account.

He's a wet musket.

Aye, that's why i mentioned he hasn't helped himself either. What r0cafella just said is relevant though, imagine going to a new club in a new country, to a new team already playing shit under a manager who shows no confidence in his own players. A manager who constantly talks about how we can't compete and every team we play is quality.

A player lacking confidence being given to Pardew, i felt sorry for the lad, there's no way he had a chance to get any confidence back from Pardew.

Said it before but look at some of his YouTube videos, unless they make different footballs in Holland the lad can definitely belt a ball into the back of a net.

He might not work out here, in fact I think there is a good chance he won't but there is more chance we won't sign anyone at all. I would rather we took the relatively low gamble on a 23 year old who was deemed to be worth £13m not that long ago than no one at all.

Said it before but look at some of his YouTube videos, unless they make different footballs in Holland the lad can definitely belt a ball into the back of a net.

He might not work out here, in fact I think there is a good chance he won't but there is more chance we won't sign anyone at all. I would rather we took the relatively low gamble on a 23 year old who was deemed to be worth £13m not that long ago than no one at all.

So you think we should sign him over not signing anyone.

Insightful.

The excuses some people are giving Luuk de Jong are amazing. The majority of fans have seen the some total of nothing in him. NUFC didn't buy him so there's no need to look for a silver lining. NUFC dodged an expensive bullet when Borussia Mönchengladbach beat us to his signature. You can't blame Pardew for Luuk de Jong's performances at NUFC. Luuk was "Pardewed" long before he even got to NUFC.  He's been out of form for 2 years. The best thing for Luuk de Jong would be to go back to the Netherlands and see if he can rediscover his form.

Insightful.

So what are your thoughts?

Insightful.

So what are your thoughts?

I think he's got zero chance of ever succeeding at premiership level. If we're playing the hypothetical card of him being the only striker we could ever sign then I'd still have reservations.

I can think of plenty of average championship strikers who would outscore him.

Guest ElCid

I'd still take him on a season long loan if it didn't stop us signing someone better. We aren't going to sign all the strikers we need and I really do think there is some quality in there. We were pretty much safe when he signed, if we wanted a proper look at the lad he should have started every game he was fit for rather than playing Cisse or Shola.

But it was clear he was rubbish from early on. I'd have preferred to have played Papiss more because if we're going to persevere with an out of form player to try and get his confidence back, then I'd prefer it's one we own and not one that could have rediscovered his form and promptly f***ed off somewhere else.

We've had this numerous times with players who have turned out to actually be quite decent/good.

He came at the worst time really.

We were safe and the manager had already given up.

We weren't creating much at all.

The lad was already low on confidence.

He was basically asked to play as an attacking midfielder.

We had just sold our only central midfielder with any sort of creativity about him.

I know he already has the famous N-O cliché applied to him, this time being his shooting was as weak as p*ss but he hit some absolute belters in Holland and I don't believe at 23 years old you lose this. He was just a low on confidence player coming into a team that due to their hierarchy didn't care or had given up.

I definitely wouldn't want us to spend any significant amount of money on the lad but I would like to see him given a proper chance, especially as the one player we are willing to play up front has been out of form for so long and isn't even fit. We won't go on some massive spending spree to recruit players either so will be short for strikers and the likes are Armstrong aren't going to get a sniff. That being said Pardew is still here so there is probably no point.

You can quote as may lines as you want to but he is utter shit and has proven that in the two major leagues he has played in. If he is the type of player we are going to sign we will be relegated without a doubt.

Proven = barely played.

Never claimed he was class, good or even half decent. The fact is we don't currently have a single fit forward that Pardew will play up front so if this lad is available on the cheap I'd rather give him a change than no-one at all. We aren't going to shell out on a load of strikers who will instantly fit in and score goals, that is one of the few thing I am comfortable of.

Guest Nixon

I noted after he signed Steven Taylor said in an interview that De Jong never snatches at shots. He said he was supreme composure or something alone those lines.

I think it told in his play. He was always wanting to slow the game down, and while there were moments he linked up well with Remy, I'd be concerned if we bit at their asking price. Offer them €3-4million and see what they say. Mind you he'll need pace surrounding him as he's not a ball carrier. I'd also be concerned about his handling of the physical side of things. He said he found Germany quite a tough league in that sense, and there was instances in which he shirked things and looked a tad soft.

Guest ElCid

Proven = barely played.

Never claimed he was class, good or even half decent. The fact is we don't currently have a single fit forward that Pardew will play up front so if this lad is available on the cheap I'd rather give him a change than no-one at all. We aren't going to shell out on a load of strikers who will instantly fit in and score goals, that is one of the few thing I am comfortable of.

Sign him and play him = relegated no thanks

Proven = barely played.

Sign him and play him = relegated no thanks

We're fucked either way tbh.

:lol:

Seriously, how bad is Pardew?

His incompetence knows no bounds.

Defensive number 10, and then we slate the man for not scoring goals.

You're right, we should praise his talent for striking the ball like a 4-year-old in his back garden.

:lol:

Seriously, how bad is Pardew?

His incompetence knows no bounds.

Defensive number 10, and then we slate the man for not scoring goals.

You're right, we should praise his talent for striking the ball like a 4-year-old in his back garden.

Kinda happened when your confidence is on the floor mind.

See Fernando Torres

Why was his confidence on the floor on the back of a lucrative move to Germany?

As you know. He wasn't getting any playing time and moving to Germany hasn't been great for him.

Also note that a 50million pound move to Chelsea for Torres also didn't do much for his confidence.