Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-mulling-over-deal-7095850

Newcastle United mulling over a deal for Luuk de Jong

May 09, 2014 11:16

By Mark Douglas

The Dutch forward is yet to open his account for Newcastle United during his loan move, but that doesn't mean a deal is out of the question.

Newcastle United are set for talks with Luuk de Jong’s agent next week as they mull over a deal for the Holland striker.

De Jong is still waiting to open his account for the Magpies since making a loan move in January but the club have not closed the door on brokering a permanent deal for the 23-year-old, who has spoken of his desire to join United in the summer.

Newcastle are looking to bring in three new forwards in the close season as part of a squad overhaul and Papiss Cisse’s serious knee injury has made the summer search even more urgent.

Lyon forward Alexandre Lacazette is a priority target but there remains interest in de Jong (pictured right) – at the right price. Although he has struggled to score goals during a tough run, Newcastle have seen signs of improvement despite his slow start to life on Tyneside.

United have agreed a fee with Borussia Monchengladbach for his permanent transfer but want to talk to de Jong’s representative before deciding on their next move. They are understood to have other options and want to move quickly to seal deals after the end of a damaging season.

Unless they make substantial progress in their recruitment drive, Newcastle’s striking options will be decidedly threadbare when the club return for pre-season in July.

Shola Ameobi is yet to start contract talks with the club and Loic Remy has indicated that he will wait until after the World Cup before confirming his intentions next season.

His appearance at Arsenal on Sunday – although Arsene Wenger insisted it was not at his invitation – did not bode particularly well for Newcastle’s hopes of retaining arguably their most consistent performer of the campaign.

Papiss Cisse’s knee injury may also rule him out of the start of pre-season which would leave Newcastle with just Yoan Gouffran and rookie Adam Armstrong to pick from – if they don’t manage to negotiate deals for strikers in the close season.

De Jong and Lacazette are two names being considered by Newcastle, who were also linked with Hertha Berlin forward Pierre-Michel Lasogga yesterday.

Newcastle also have an interest in Tenerife forward Ayoze Perez but interest is understood to have cooled as the young Spanish forward has made substantial wage demands.

De Jong’s desire to stay on Tyneside may depend on fitting into Newcastle’s wage structure, with United intent on staying within budget as part of their substantial squad overhaul.

The player appears keen to clinch a permanent deal. Last month he said: “I hope to be important for the team, and after this season, I hope to stay. I like it (English football). It’s more physical than Germany and Holland.”

There were more positive noises from United yesterday when Bob Moncur (pictured right) – a club ambassador – said that he believed there would be money to spend at Newcastle this summer.

“Quite clearly there has got to be a lot of work done before the start of next season,” he said. “I understand that there is money to spend this summer in strengthening the squad. That said that is not as easy as it sounds in the modern day transfer market. Clearly that has to be done. That’s a fact, new players are needed for next season. But at least there is a solution.”

As United look to next season, there remains a measure of uncertainty about Alan Pardew’s future. The Newcastle boss will today address the media for the first time since the hostile reception that he was afforded at St James’ Park last weekend.

He admits that it has been a blow to see the tide of public opinion turn against him.

He said: “Obviously, I’m a little bit sad about the situation but my resolve has to be strong to make sure the players are ready for Liverpool.

“We need to go to Anfield and put in a top performance.”

Newcastle also have an interest in Tenerife forward Ayoze Perez but interest is understood to have cooled as the young Spanish forward has made substantial wage demands.

Ooooh...substantial wage demands. Can't be having that, better sign De Jong up quick so he can fail to score goals at a cheaper rate. 

How substantial could a 20 year old, Spanish second division wage demands really be? :lol:

Apart from the top 3-4 clubs I can't imagine Spanish club's wages come near those in England.

Guest Roger Kint

How substantial could a 20 year old, Spanish second division wage demands really be? :lol:

Apart from the top 3-4 clubs I can't imagine Spanish club's wages come near those in England.

Werent we looking to put him in the reserves first? If he is asking for first team money you know we will run away at paying it for a non purple. Can only assume we were looking at Sammy esque wages.

Also the idea he would get more than de jong :rolleyes:

Ooooh...substantial wage demands. Can't be having that, better sign De Jong up quick so he can fail to score goals at a cheaper rate. 

Can't be paying a transfer fee and non-shit wages. One or the other.

I don't want to completely judge him on what we've seen over this stretch. He did go from playing almost no football at all in Germany to being dropped into the middle of the worst 5 month display I've ever seen from a professional sporting club. Can he be completely blamed for not settling here given everything that has gone on? That said, you have to take a chance when it's given and he didn't show much at all. I'd take him here, but certainly not at the prices that had been mentioned originally. 

He's playing under Alan Pardew. No player can be judged on that, the man who freezes out his two most naturally gifted players. I'd take the chance on LDJ with a different manager but under Pardew, no way.

He's playing under Alan Pardew. No player can be judged on that, the man who freezes out his two most naturally gifted players. I'd take the chance on LDJ with a different manager but under Pardew, no way.

Even Pardew can't take the blame for a striker being shit scared of the penalty area. Adam Armstrong played about 15 mins this season and he's had more shots on goal.

Even Pardew can't take the blame for a striker being shit scared of the penalty area. Adam Armstrong played about 15 mins this season and he's had more shots on goal.

Good point. Fuck LDJ and give Armstrong some fucking gametime next year.

Also, why are all our younger strikers so short?

Guest TruToon94

No idea if he's any good. It is Pardew managing him after all but really isn't worth the risk.

Guest TruToon94

De Pong failed his 12 game trial. Not suited to the league and lacking in confidence as well as strength.

Shame it's taken us fourteen years to realize the same for Ameobi. 

I suppose he's better than nothing if we manage to sign nobody as expected.

understand what you mean but has looked awful in a poor team ,confidence rock bottom and cannot help to feel sorry for him so a couple of million or a free no issues with that .As we stand we have Cisse out till whenever and a young kid getting 10 minute run outs  :frantic:

• 2 weeks later...