Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

Doing well this season. I know he was s*** for us but would he have been better to keep than signing Riviere and Chucky?

No. He was very bad at the football.

Don't disagree. Guess that means the Dutch league is s***.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Suarez and Van Nistelrooooooooooooy!

Doing well this season. I know he was s*** for us but would he have been better to keep than signing Riviere and Chucky?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Afonso Alves and wor Luuk disprove that. Every league has a few great players. Nee offence to the Dutch like!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Afonso Alves and wor Luuk disprove that. Every league has a few great players. Nee offence to the Dutch like!

Afonso Alves actually was very good before his Boro move. Either way, it's still possible to be a very good player and never to have quite made it in England.

Guest chicken little

ignoring the notion of standard (in a generalised sense), the style of Dutch football is incredibly different to the English game (primarily it is much slower) so I don't read much into players excelling in one but not the other.

Look man, he played for us in our absolute rockiest of bottoms when we couldn't score a fucking goal to save our life in a team that looked as timid, boring, and weak as anything I've ever seen from us. We looked as shit if not shittier than the relegation season. I can't imagine anyone bar Demba Ba and Loic Remy scoring goals for us.  He played fucking awful for us don't get me wrong, but a lacking confidence striker who relies on service who plays for a team at its lowest, not creating chances isn't going to score a single fucking goal.

Look man, he played for us in our absolute rockiest of bottoms when we couldn't score a f***ing goal to save our life in a team that looked as timid, boring, and weak as anything I've ever seen from us. We looked as s*** if not shittier than the relegation season. I can't imagine anyone bar Demba Ba and Loic Remy scoring goals for us.  He played f***ing awful for us don't get me wrong, but a lacking confidence striker who relies on service who plays for a team at its lowest, not creating chances isn't going to score a single f***ing goal.

Agree with this.

Think he could have been a decent player had he not come in just about the worst circumstances possible. Surprised it didn't scare away his brother

Eredivisie is a league full of young promising players still developing. Naive defending coupled with an inclination towards attacking football breads goalscoring forwards. It's actually been great at producing strikers over the years (Suarez, van Nistelrooy, Romario, Ronaldo, Bergkamp, RvP, Makaay, Ibrahimovic, Huntelaar, Bony etc) but its also inflated the records of some average players (Ruiz, Altidore, Kezman, El Hamdoui, Bas Dost, Nkufo, Vennegoor of Hesselink etc). Even Michael Higdon scored 14 there last season.

It's hit and miss, but de Jong scoring some goals again now he's back really doesn't prove much. He was poor in Germany and here. Languid, slow running style, and no aggression to his play for such a big striker. You need ridiculous technique (Berbatov) or be a first rate poacher (Gomez) to make up for those deficiencies.

Guest reefatoon

Vennegoor of Hesselink, hell forgot about him. What a name.

Yep, what a total wet arse he was. His surname is Venegoor, but when he got married he took on his wife's name (Hesselink) too, the total soft cock.  What bloke with a pair of stones would do that?

Yep, what a total wet arse he was. His surname is Venegoor, but when he got married he took on his wife's name (Hesselink) too, the total soft cock.  What bloke with a pair of stones would do that?

Happens all the time in Japan - husband takes wife's surname to keep hers going providing he has a brother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Vennegoor_of_Hesselink#Name

Harsh to blame him for what happened in the 17th century.

Guest reefatoon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Vennegoor_of_Hesselink#Name

Harsh to blame him for what happened in the 17th century.

Not at all, it's all his fault.

Its a weird league to judge players off when the likes of Michael Higdon and Jozy Altidore can smash it up I suppose most strikers have half a chance of looking decent.

I saw Luuk de Jong play several times for FC Twente and each time he looked fantastic; mobile, aggressive, two-footed, prolific - I was sure he was headed for the top. But it's very tricky to figure out a player's real level in the Eredivisie, for reasons noted here.

Interestingly, Vurnon Anita always looked class at Ajax and I believe he still is, but Pardew hasn't a clue what to do with him.

It's not just a question of level, but also of type of football, culture, manager at new club, tactics and many more. Also, some players just decline more quickly than others, or never reach their potential. There are no gurantees in any transfer, not even in transfers amongst Premier League clubs. The Eredivisie's record for bringing along top class forwards is second to none imo, but not every transfer can work out, just like not every wonderkid can work out. Football isn't that simple.

As for De Jong, he was never potentially top class, but I did expect him to be good enough for our current level. Sadly, he was not.

I've never seen somebody so unable to strike a ball cleanly or get involved in the game positively. I remember him play OK away at Hull when they were beyond s**** but that's about it.

This is what seemed odd to me as well, for a Dutch forward. They generally have very good shooting technique, which is why they produce so many good goal-scorers.

What's weird about De Jong's ball striking ability was that I remember watching him in an away match last season (can't remember which one) and in the warm up he was hitting the ball really cleanly and pretty much scoring every time with real striker's finishes.  I know a game situation is different, but I was amazed at the way he kept snatching at his shots or hitting them with such little power in the actual match.