Team for Premier League & Team for Cups

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Pardew has said that the Premier League will be our priority next season. He has also said there will be much more squad rotation to cope with the extra games and the younger players will have to step up.

What do you think of us not going all out to win a cup? We're very unlikely to win the Premier League but the big money is all about where you finish in the league. The cups don't have the same prestige any more. I'd love us to win a cup but I can understand prioritising the Premiership. Maybe when we are more established we can concentrate on a cup. Hopefully our Cup team is good enough to get far in the Europa League, League Cup and FA Cup.

We'll no doubt start our best players in the Premier League. Obviously there will be some crossover but, depending on who we draw, fixture pile up and based on the squad we currently have, who would you see us having in the Cup team squad?

Will Elliot or Harper be the keeper or will Krul continue to play every game?

In defence I can see Williamson, Perch, R.Taylor, Ferguson and Tavernier competing to be in the back four.

In midfield there will be Abeid, Ferguson, Gosling, possibly Marveaux, R.Taylor, Obertan, Sammy Ameobi, Vučkić, Amalfitano and Bigirimana to choose from.

In attack there'll be Shola Ameobi, Sammy Ameobi and possibly Obertan to choose from.

Think that's pretty accurate. The League Cup especially is a great opportunity to bed in some of the younger members of the squad. I think the key is getting the right balance though as we don't want a repeat of the Peterborough game under Hughton where he picked too many of the youngsters.

Would love us to take it serious in one of the Cups. We have enough quality now to make the later stages,and with the big teams often sending out weak teams we could go all the way.

Also another spot in Europe is up for grabs which is what we're aiming for in the league anyway.

Ironic thing is I don't think we'd have gone out of the FA cup at the stage we have done for the last few years had we played some of the bairns. Like it or not the FA cup doesn't mean as much to some players as it should.

Would have thought Krul is young enough and keen enough to start most games. The intensive schedule could benefit his development but I trust our coaches will be on top of it and know if/when we're over working him.

Don't think you really get 'overworked' as a keeper, just greater exposure to risk of injury by an opposing player.

The keepers work harder and perform more activity during training than during a match.

Think that's pretty accurate. The League Cup especially is a great opportunity to bed in some of the younger members of the squad. I think the key is getting the right balance though as we don't want a repeat of the Peterborough game under Hughton where he picked too many of the youngsters.

Completely depends on the draw of the cup, if we draw a lower league team at home, then it's a great chance to play the youngsters. If we draw Man United/Chelsea away, then why not play a strong team and chance a win, at least we get an extra game and a bigger name out of the cup.

Would have thought Krul is young enough and keen enough to start most games. The intensive schedule could benefit his development but I trust our coaches will be on top of it and know if/when we're over working him.

Don't think you really get 'overworked' as a keeper, just greater exposure to risk of injury by an opposing player.

The keepers work harder and perform more activity during training than during a match.

If anything it's a reverse and a chance to keep your reserve keeper match fresh not that the prospect of Elliott playing any games filles me with confidence.

With a few good additions to the squad there's no reason we can't field a strong team in every game, there's no sense in just sending out a team full of backups in the League Cup and effectively resigning ourselves to not winning it. I'll be particularly annoyed if we fart about with reserve teams in the Europa League. It's a winnable tournament, we should be going balls out to win it.

Hopefully by the end of August we'll have 15 or 16 players that we feel can start and not look massively out of place in our starting eleven. Hopefully we rotate a couple of players constantly rather than just resting the entire first team every so often.

With a few good additions to the squad there's no reason we can't field a strong team in every game, there's no sense in just sending out a team full of backups in the League Cup and effectively resigning ourselves to not winning it. I'll be particularly annoyed if we fart about with reserve teams in the Europa League. It's a winnable tournament, we should be going balls out to win it.

Hopefully by the end of August we'll have 15 or 16 players that we feel can start and not look massively out of place in our starting eleven. Hopefully we rotate a couple of players constantly rather than just resting the entire first team every so often.

Certain Pards will think the same thing.

Completely depends on the draw, one of the reasons why the focus is on the league is because you're guaranteed a set amount of games and you know exactly who you're going to play and in what order.

Cups are good fun, but you can't plan too much as a manager as you're at the mercy of the draw - imagine if we had cup draw similar to 97/98 and 98/99 under Pards. I'd be confident of another trip to Wembley.

Pardew's always played strong sides in the cups, even against lesser opposition.

Scunthorpe: Krul, Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Coloccini, Williamson, Marveaux, Gosling, Cabaye, Best, Ba, Lovenkrands

Forest: Elliot, Simpson, Coloccini, Perch, Ferguson, Abeid, Guthrie, Gosling, Marveaux, Ben Arfa, Lovenkrands

Blackburn: Krul, Simpson, Santon, Perch, Coloccini, Cabaye, Marveaux, Guthrie, Ba, Ben Arfa, Gutierrez

Blackburn: Krul, Simpson, Santon, Williamson, Coloccini, Abeid, Cabaye, Obertan, Best, Gutierrez, Ben Arfa

Brighton: Krul, Simpson, Williamson, Perch, Santon, Ben Arfa, Guthrie, Cabaye, Best, Shola Ameobi, Gutierrez

So the only real exception there is Forest away, where we changed things around and played a more fringe side. But the fulcrum of the team - Krul-Colo-Cabaye-Ba/Ben Arfa - are there consistently. He played a strong side down at Stevenage too, but unfortunately he set the side up horrendously lop-sided and we were well beaten. I can see Pards taking all the cups seriously, but particularly Europe. Games like the Olympiacos/Braga tournie over in Portugal aren't just for the sake of it, the likes of Monaco and Fenerbahce too. They're the standard of teams were going to be up against, in those sorts of environments.

Looks to me like Pardew's looking to make Europe a pretty big priority. He knows what will happen to him if he wins something for us, i think he's gagging to do so.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/07/22/pardew-to-leave-stars-at-home-for-first-euro-clash-79310-31446407/

Pardew to leave stars at home for first Euro clash

Jul 22 2012 by Lee Ryder, Sunday Sun

ALAN PARDEW has revealed he may leave FIVE first team players at home for Newcastle United’s first European game since 2007 – in order to combat the Magpies’ testing start to the campaign.

United’s curtain raiser with Tottenham Hotspur on August 18 could be quickly followed by a far flung trip to deepest darkest eastern Europe if the play-off draw isn’t kind.

And following on for the play-off game a few days later – which could yet be switched to Tuesday 21 if United are paired with understanding opponents – the Magpies will have less than two days to get ready for the trip to Stamford Bridge on August 25.

The Chelsea game can’t be moved due to the Met Police’s decision to refuse a request from United.

But while, the whole situation will be eased if the Magpies play their home leg first and the game is switched to the Tuesday night, Pardew must prepare for a worst-case scenario.

That would be jetting back into the UK in the early hours of Friday morning, just a day before the big game and another long trip to London.

Pardew told the Sunday Sun from Vienna: “The first week could not be worse for us really.

“The activities in London and the Notting Hill Carnival means the game can’t be moved.

“There’s nothing we can do about that.

“It’s our first European game and then two days later at Stamford Bridge for a tough game.”

Pardew may even devise a European team to use in the early stages of the competition.

This would see some of the more experienced campaigners like Shola Ameobi and Steve Harper used for the Europa League and blended in with youngsters like Haris Vukic, Mehdi Abeid and Sammy Ameobi.

Pardew said: “I can’t see me playing the same team in both games. Physically it is almost impossible.

“I might even leave five players behind and not make them travel because I’m hoping the squad is going to be good enough for two competitions.”

Pardew has not ruled out Harper playing a role in Europe but Tim Krul, who has been handed the No 1 shirt for next season, will be eager to play in continental competition.

It was back in 2006 Krul kept a clean sheet in Palermo.

Pardew said: “Tim is a fantastic keeper. One injury, though, and the door is wide open again.”

thats a massive gamble,  despite getting some results in the last couple of visits to Stamford Bridge,  most of the time you are not going to get much from there and if we were too send a weakened team into europe and it gets beat and we go out followed by the full strength team losing to Chelsea the season is going to start on a huge downer. 

agree with Madras it all depends on the quality of the opposition in europe plus if it gets pulled forward to the Tuesday then that changes things again.  Once the season starts though i don't want team for the league and team for the cups i just want us to take each team as it comes and Pardew picks the best team he sees fit for that particular match and just rotate everyone in the squad with the odd exception like Cisse and Colo being rested in the likes of early round of the carling cup.

All players WANT to play in ALL games but playing a weaker side in the Carling Cup is fine if you also have European football, we may not be in the Champions League but out of all three cups we will take part in The Europa is the one I would love us to win.

More than that though surely our big players will be desperate to play in Europe too, are we using the Europa League as a selling point to new signings ? I imagine we are so lets show we are taking seriously.

Guest ItalianMagpie

Screw these bollocks, we should always play the best team (with few exceptions). Priority to the EPL? What for? Do we really think we can win it or finish in the top 4?

IF we were a club that  regularly competes for the title or at least ends up regularly in a Champions League spot then I could (maybe) understand this kind of talks. But for us the EL is a great chance to finally win something important, we cannot blow it cause we think we can beat the billionaires in the league.

The players all talk about how much they want to play in the Europa Cup so I wonder how they will react when they are rested for those games.  It always seems as if the European clubs seem to take the Europa Cup much more seriously than we do in the UK.  What's the point in trying to qualify if you are not going to take it seriously once you are in it.

I hope we put out a strong enough team to get through the qualifier - maybe in the Group stage, we will have more of an opportunity to rest players.

I would like us to try to win a trophy as I think it is important to get that monkey off our backs.  I think it is too easily accepted that we can never win anything but if teams like Portsmouth have managed it, I don't see why we can't although you need a bit of luck with the draw.  And players want to win things so it is an easy get out for them if other clubs come calling.