Things you used to get wrong about football when you were little

Pilko

The whole idea of football 'club' baffled me. Thought all the players went to some working mens' club after the games, or something.

Squad numbers for international sides used to baffle me n'all. I'd have me little 'Road to 98' scrapbook; on one page there'd be Nicky Butt sporting a 15, then on the next page, Anderton would 15. Couldn't understand how players could share a number, as if it was a club squad-list.

I used to have problems pronouncing foreign players names. I used to call Srnicek 'Zodeecheck'. Also I learned a lot of players names from my sticker albums so I thought Peter Ndlovu was 'Peter Noodle-vu' :yao:

oh crikey, i used to pronounce, and this was in the 70's when commentating while you were playing football was mandatory, eddie colquhoun as eddie col-u-qwu-hen.

Used to hate watching football until I was 10, Match of the day bored the living shit out of me. Never understood why my older brother and dad used to watch it.

Dad got me a liverpool poster in 1991, so I think I said I supported Liverpool, then for some reason I supported Everton, despite not knowing or even liking to watch football. Still not sure why I picked Newcastle, might have been I liked the subutteo team my brother had. Oddly though I subconsciously  supported the teams that Beardsley played for while he was there.

This is my true shame.

Used to hate watching football until I was 10, Match of the day bored the living shit out of me. Never understood why my older brother and dad used to watch it.

Dad got me a liverpool poster in 1991, so I think I said I supported Liverpool, then for some reason I supported Everton, despite not knowing or even liking to watch football. Still not sure why I picked Newcastle, might have been I liked the subutteo team my brother had. Oddly though I subconsciously  supported the teams that Beardsley played for while he was there.

This is my true shame.

Mike mark II

I'm the opposite, when I was younger I was ridiculous but as I got older didn't seem to improve and everyone caught up (I do honestly blame shit managers who were too chummy/scared with/of other kids dads :lol:). Then the old kids football programme story hit and injuries ruined my career. All I really needed was a wooden walking stick and to take a local football team to the big time and that kids football programme would have been me.

i've always been addicted. and in response to ian w not being able to play decently till he was 16.........thats one of the weirdest things i've ever encountered and i've met it a few times. lads who liked their football, beer, women etc but were horrific when it came to playing football. you see i grew up in an area where we all played and the worst player was adequate, then when on the YTS and making new friends who liked their football, lunchtime kick about and "what the fuck, is he wearing calipers"

At school I was nowhere near the team, I'd say I was probably one of the worst players in my year. Then when I went to uni I was suddenly against a load of people from public school and I ended up being quite decent. Also was a very late bloomer physically and in terms of coordination. Confidence was probably important as well... PE teachers used to write that on my report IIRC.

I wasn't really interested in beer or women until I was about 16 either TBF.

Used to hate watching football until I was 10, Match of the day bored the living s*** out of me. Never understood why my older brother and dad used to watch it.

This is my true shame.

Mike mark II

This is indeed the shame I live with everyday.

First time my Grandad took me to SJP I asked him why I couldn't hear the commentary like on TV. I assumed it came through the tannoy. :lol:

Public address system.

:lol:

Frankenstein was the name of the creator, not the monster.

I thought for many years that there was a cup called 'the snubs cup'. There was a teletext headline that said "Keegan snubs cup" and when I asked what the snubs cup was my family just laughed and made fun out of me by making me believe it was a real thing.

I thought for many years that there was a cup called 'the snubs cup'. There was a teletext headline that said "Keegan snubs cup" and when I asked what the snubs cup was my family just laughed and made fun out of me by making me believe it was a real thing.

Not football related but at a certain point every week when watching Bruce's Play Your Cards Right I'd always ask "Mam, what's a pykrie?" and she'd never know what I was on about.

It was when Bruce was showing us the car the contestants could win - the registration was always PYCR1 :lol: I was a reet stupid child.

First time my Grandad took me to SJP I asked him why I couldn't hear the commentary like on TV. I assumed it came through the tannoy. :lol:

Public address system.

:lol:

Frankenstein was the name of the creator, not the monster.

:okay: Was gonna go with the copyright thing. My bad. All this fancy knowledge does me no good  :(

Kinda love lying smileys tbh :lol: