Alan Pardew

Dave

the strain of the extra games in the league cup is not worth the bother.

We have appalling luck in terms of League Cup draws. I won't bat an eyelid if by some miracle we get passed Man Utd as the next round will give us a trip to another top side. I bloody hate the competition, the amount of times we get pulled out against crack sides in the early rounds is ludicrous. When you see some of the shite that has got to semis, finals and even bloody won the thing; we've had some very good sides in my lifetime and we've had precisely two quarter final appearances.

Look at the time we beat Chelsea away, an amazing result. Who was next? Arsenal.

worst thing about the lack of transfer activity this year is yet again we go into a season with a squad that is not big enough or strong enough to  co

mpete in all the competitions that we have entered for the 4th season running.

to be fair when we were relegated i wasn't bothered about cups as all that mattered that year was getting promoted.  the next season was all about

staying up.  then last season i thought we could give the cups a go but then with the nightmare pre season and sales of big players and not

knowing who the likes of cabaye were again i just thought lets concentrate on the league.

all those expectations changed this summer, we have a good team and everyone knew 3 or 4 new players coming in would put us in a great position off

to kick on.  we even had the manager and chief scout saying the same on radio interviews and for the first time in 4 years i was looking forward

to having a crack at  winning something.  yet we are only in September and the manager has written off the league cup and gambling  with the kids to progress

in Europe.  the fans have every right to feel let down and cheated.

http://i.imgur.com/xRVT6.png

http://s8.postimage.org/w5wiggj39/grammar_police.jpg

:lol:

Looking back I would have honestly sold Tiote for £15million plus in the summer if it had meant spending on three new additions.

Unfortunately it's likely the only way we'll see incomings, if they are self funded.

I don't believe for one second our lack of incoming transfers has anything to do with a lack of outgoings or even a lack of money being available. There were just no good deals to be had, where a good deal is defined as one where the player in questions joins us at a considerably lower transfer fee than we value said player at.

Looking back I would have honestly sold Tiote for £15million plus in the summer if it had meant spending on three new additions.

Unfortunately it's likely the only way we'll see incomings, if they are self funded.

Our transfer policy is what's likely to cause us to miss out on targets imo. We've seen in the past that once we've made an offer, then more often than not, we stick by it and don't negotiate any further - sometimes we do actually pull it off and get our man but sometimes we don't (as we've seen this summer).

I can't see him lasting the season. Think we will underperform and he'll get sick of firefighting for the board, end up saying something that puts them in a bad light and they'll bin him.

As long as he's up their arse he's got a chance, but eventually even he will start to doubt the shit he is spewing and question the direction of the club.

Last season was our tide mark.

Why do we have to stand still and appreciate what we have? I think we all did that at the end of (and during) last season and in the summer. That's over now, it was great, but this is a new season and we're Newcastle United- we've got to keep fighting and striving for better and get NUFC into the position we once were in. Overall, I think that this summer was a tad underwhelming but we didn't sell and that's crucial.

I still think we'll have a good season this year. Win against Everton and this thread will be forgotten (as usual).

There were just no good deals to be had

:lol:

Amazing that people keep buying this tripe.

"No good deals" basically is Ashley-speak  for "not keen on spending his own money."

I wince when I see our fans discounting any form of silverware. Fuck me.

League position attracts and keeps hold of players unfortunately, though. Though I agree.

Really? I reckon most players would rather retire with a few medals than some 5th placed finishes.

I wince when I see our fans discounting any form of silverware. Fuck me.

League position attracts and keeps hold of players unfortunately, though. Though I agree.

Really? I reckon most players would rather retire with a few medals than some 5th placed finishes.

The players we want are wanting European football though (obviously CL first priority), that's mainly brought via League positions. Also, we win say the FA cup one year, it's not as big an attraction to players as it's unlikely we'll win it again. They'te not going to go, 'well Im going to Newcastle to win the FA cup'. Not that I advocate it but it's surely true.

It's good for us 9the fans) and for the players at the coub at the time of winning it, doubt it's as much of an attraction as finishing 4th to prospective buys.

In that interview, Pardew doesn't really say we should be grateful to Ashley, he says we should be thankful for what we've got.

How the fuck should we be grateful for what we have, we are still in profit over transfers in the last 3 years.  For a club that is getting close to 50k a game, then we should be expecting money the club generates in transfers every season tbh.

You don't seem to have read my post properly.

There's a difference between being "thankful for" and being "grateful to".

Can't see him walking from his contract with so many years left. Was he not insentivised to keep costs down? He is probably as much to blame as he thinks he can emulate last season. Chelsea's have spent loads, not sure on spurs, but there is no chance of 5th, Everton are stonger as well. 7th is the best best we can hope, fighting Liverpool and possibly Fulham.

I wince when I see our fans discounting any form of silverware. f*** me.

The players we want are wanting European football though (obviously CL first priority), that's mainly brought via League positions. Also, we win say the FA cup one year, it's not as big an attraction to players as it's unlikely we'll win it again. They'te not going to go, 'well Im going to Newcastle to win the FA cup'. Not that I advocate it but it's surely true.

It's good for us 9the fans) and for the players at the coub at the time of winning it, doubt it's as much of an attraction as finishing 4th to prospective buys.

The attraction is joining a club that can win things and are going places. If a player is here not expecting/trying to win competitions, then they're either unambitious, or we're their stepping stone.

Don't think Pardew will leave anytime soon, as long as results don't go horribly wrong.

He knew the conditions, the policy etc when he took the job. He's happy working with it at a club that is of a size he could only dream of ever taking charge of before he came here. He's not going to quit because of disagreeing with the board if they don't back stab him or break too many promises.

As for us, I think we should be happy for Pardew to stick around for as long as Ashley is in control. Not many managers would be happy working with this regime and the way they conduct business. Pardew is probably one of the better ones out there in terms of being willing to do the job. I can see him being a bit tired of it come the end of his contract if we are standing still and not progressing as a club. But the "long term project" might well be going very well, and FFP might have come into play a bit more, which will only mean a stronger position for us.

We're not alone in that though. Much of what Tottenham did was funded by the Modric and van der Vaart sales, Arsenal invested knowing that van Persie was going to leave for a fair whack, Liverpool's owners have been pretty outspoken in their stance that they're not going to spend more can the club afford and Everton made a tidy sum from the Rodwell deal. It's rather amusing that while the media constantly tell us we're a selling club and if a huge bid comes in we'll take the cash yet we're one of the few that managed to keep hold of our biggest names this summer :lol:

Personally I don't subscribe to the idea that the Premier League is perpetually improving in quality. I do think, in certain circumstances, that keeping your best players can be just as good as spunking millions up the wall.  Only time will tell whether it was the right decision.

You can justify it in hindsight, otherwise it's a huge gamble. Besides, Ashley doesn't have the best track record of selling somebody and replacing them in the same window