Alan Pardew

Dave

He set us up perfectly yesterday and made good subs. Sure we didn´t created so much but we could still have won and I still think that we didn´t lose was the most important. Will be nervous that we have to win next week (a scoring draw and we are out) but maybe that´s a good thing, now we can´t sit back. Hopefully Cissé is back though and Ben Arfa takes Obertans place.

Anyway, as I said, Pardew did a good job. Ben Arfa in form would have buried that!

HBA knocks that chance in and it's basically a flawless away performance from Pardew. Considering he had to rethink his plans with Cisse ill, he did a great job.

We have gone away to a team whose home Europa results since qualifying were;

2-0 win vs Young Boys

1-0 win vs Liverpool

2-0 win vs Udinese

3-1 win vs Hannover 96

We went there without a single forward capable of starting the game. 7 of our 11 wouldn't normally start and Ben Arfa had his first game for 10 weeks.

They are second in their league, 2 points off top. They have spent over £100m in the last 2 seasons and have a very good manager with experience/success at the very top level.

They have conceded 1 goal in 7 Europa games.

We went there with a team of attacking players with the potential to break, had the odd good chance, including the best of the game and restricted them to long range efforts and a couple of half chances.

It is clearly a job well done.

2-0 win vs Young Boys

1-0 win vs Liverpool

2-0 win vs Udinese

3-1 win vs Hannover 96

We went there without a single forward capable of starting the game. 7 of our 11 wouldn't normally start and Ben Arfa had his first game for 10 weeks.

They are second in their league, 2 points off top. They have spent over £100m in the last 2 seasons and have a very good manager with experience/success at the very top level.

We went there with a team of attacking players with the potential to break, had the odd good chance, including the best of the game and restricted them to long range efforts and a couple of half chances.

:thup: Bring on the home leg!

2-0 win vs Young Boys

1-0 win vs Liverpool

2-0 win vs Udinese

3-1 win vs Hannover 96

Pardew managed this one well, no doubt about it.

2-0 win vs Young Boys

1-0 win vs Liverpool

2-0 win vs Udinese

3-1 win vs Hannover 96

100% Agree. Some sense in this thread at last

Guest Roger Kint

2-0 win vs Young Boys

1-0 win vs Liverpool

2-0 win vs Udinese

3-1 win vs Hannover 96

100% Agree. Some sense in this thread at last

:thup:

Definitely would be a great result if this was a one-off match, but, as I mentioned before, the 2nd leg will tell if this is as good a result as we think.

I dont get this comment. Been said on here a few times. Surely this goes without saying even if we had won 3-0?

Glass half full.

Guest firetotheworks

Definitely would be a great result if this was a one-off match, but, as I mentioned before, the 2nd leg will tell if this is as good a result as we think.

I dont get this comment. Been said on here a few times. Surely this goes without saying even if we had won 3-0?

Glass half full.

Nah, it's because as things stand there's still a so much to do and account for. As bad as Anji were, that could be us next week and visa versa.

The result is good and I was pleased with the performance, but it's by no means anywhere near being the end of the story. It's effectively a 0-0 at half time and starting the second half knowing that you must win.

Guest neesy111

It was a good result, we clearly have more idea how to keep cleans sheets in Europe than the league this season.  Who know's what the reason for that is ???

A great result would had been coming back with an away goal and a lead imo.

Glass half full.

Nah, it's because as things stand there's still a so much to do and account for. As bad as Anji were, that could be us next week and visa versa.

The result is good and I was pleased with the performance, but it's by no means anywhere near being the end of the story. It's effectively a 0-0 at half time and starting the second half knowing that you must win.

except the second half will be on grass and over here and the majority of teams traditionally do better at home than away.

You take each Match on it's own. I don't think any other manager in Pardew's place would have dome better. Actually if Ben Arfa wasnt his first game back in ages he would have nicked a win for us.

Let's not let our Deslike of someone make us unfair.

You take each Match on it's own. I don't think any other manager in Pardew's place would have done better. Actually if Ben Arfa wasnt his first game back in ages he would have nicked a win for us.

:lol:

You take each Match on it's own. I don't think any other manager in Pardew's place would have done better. Actually if Ben Arfa wasnt his first game back in ages he would have nicked a win for us.

What's so funny about the line you highlighted ? Do you mean that some other manager could have definitely got the team to play better and win the game against Anzhil ?

What's so funny about the line you highlighted ? Do you mean that some other manager could have definitely got the team to play better and win the game against Anzhil ?

Nothing's funny about the line I highlighted, I agree, he's the best manager in football. 

The criticism goes too far sometimes, so does the other side of it, you're doing it now.

You take each Match on it's own. I don't think any other manager in Pardew's place would have dome better. Actually if Ben Arfa wasnt his first game back in ages he would have nicked a win for us.

It's nothing to do with whether I like Pardew or not.

We were brilliant defensively but we would have probably beaten those lot had it not been for yet another performance where we looked soft offensively.

0-0 is a decent result, I just think we could have maybe put ourselves in a better position, especially considering how average or poor Anji looked.

It was a good result, we clearly have more idea how to keep cleans sheets in Europe than the league this season.  Who know's what the reason for that is ???

We're pretty decent a nullifying the opposition when we're behind the ball, tbh. It's only problematic when teams get in behind us, then we're the worst of the worst. The teams we've come up against so far haven't tested us in this way, fortunately.

Guest Dontooner

Unfortunately, relying only on players only can get us playing at this standard, need some tactical input and movement to break open the game.

Stoke 1st half have been there for the taking, we need to win this game , they don't come easier than this.

We look like what we are; a collection of very good players. We scrape by due to their individual ability but there's no cohesion, understanding or variety of tactics. We don't look like we train at all and this is the first time the players have seen each other all week. Those problems are the manager's job.