Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest hydeous

I don't know if making us more offensive / aggressive will land us more points. Last years finish shows us that Pardews tactics can work, but it can be tedious to watch.

I'm unsure about Pardew. I have been, ever since last season, but that's because all of us would like to see more exciting football. A manager like Jol or AVB or even Rodgers might get this set of players playing better, more tactical football, but who knows if that will work as well as Pardews solidity at the back first football? We'll only know if / when it happens.

I'm pretty sure I'll be joining the Pardew out brigade if he doesn't turn things around. He's earned a lot of time because of last season, but I want exciting football. I really do. I haven't been enjoying watching us play this season and I don't see that changing.

I really hope Pardew turns it around, but if he doesn't, I support Newcastle. Not Pardew.

It's not even about being more attacking or otherwise though. It's how we go about both of those things. At the minute it is hoofball, sat too deep nand static that invites pressure and inhibits our abilty to create chances; leaving Ba, Cisse, Ben Arfa et al to scavenge their own chances out of nowt. Completely negative and the exact reason that Alladyce was hounded out. I don't think we should be quick to act in that way again, however worrying, but fuck me is it ever getting boring of talking about the same problems whilst some Walter Mitty idea of tactics and passing football is constantly peddled.

Guest firetotheworks

Wew wew wew wew wew.

Am I annoyed and frustrated by the way that we're playing? Definitely.

Would I entertain Pardew being sacked? Absolutely not.

Embarrassing.

I'm completely shocked at it.

Manager leads club to an amazing fifth placed finish. Not even a third of the way into the new season and people calling for his head due to a disagreement in tactics.

That's the sort of nonsense you'd expect from Chelsea fans, not Newcastle ones.

A small portion of our fans have never warmed to AP and will insist that we finished last year fifth in spite of him rather than thanks to him.

There's another small portion who've fallen in love with our players (ironically the same ones the media link to bigger clubs) and massively overrate them - subsequently refusing to significantly blame anyone but Pardew when they perform poorly individually and collectively.

There's another small portion who've fallen in love with our players (ironically the same ones the media link to bigger clubs) and massively overrate them - subsequently refusing to significantly blame anyone but Pardew when they perform poorly individually and collectively.

I find this particularly unfair. Tiote, Cabaye, HBA, Ba and Cisse are beyond criticism to some and no matter what their performances any negatives are brushed aside with "oh it's Pardew's fault."

I don't rate Tiote anywhere near as much as I used to. He had a cracking first season but he's such a liability now from what I've seen. I'd be watching every NUFC game with fear of him getting sent off.

It's very understandable why people didn't want Pardew as boss too, especially with the way Hughton was with the fans and the way he was dismissed, but Pardew is still the manager. He takes the credit for fifth place because he picked the team and made them play the way they did.

Isn't he the one who bought all the players that some people refuse to criticise as well?

Embarrassing.

I'm completely shocked at it.

Manager leads club to an amazing fifth placed finish. Not even a third of the way into the new season and people calling for his head due to a disagreement in tactics.

That's the sort of nonsense you'd expect from Chelsea fans, not Newcastle ones.

Sad, isn't it.

Tiote's known by almost every football fan I've spoken too down here as 'that nutter who kicks people'. I found it and still find it absolutely staggering that he was being linked to Man Utd at any point during his NUFC career.

E, gads. To think this forum used to be a good read. I can't believe there are people genuinely wanting AP removed less than 6months after our best finish in almost a decade :lol: :idiot2:

We've lost 4 games all season; two vs Man Utd, one v Chelsea and a genuinely underwhelming loss to West Ham (very few other teams that we play will be coached by an ex-manager, captained by an ex-captain and led from the front by an ex-number 9).

We've not been playing brilliantly this season, but then we weren't pulling up trees during the unbeaten start last year - we simply had an easier run of games until the difficult trio in November (Citeh away, Man Utd away, Chelsea home). Unsurprisingly, when we picked up a couple of knocks and suspensions, we had another slight dip against what most people would consider to be 'lesser' teams (Norwich, West Brom).

I'm still convinced that Pards is rotating the squad well to keep us involved in Europe until the New Year and picking up enough points to keep us within touching distance (6/7 pts) of the Euro spots. If we burn out all of our 'key' players by playing them in every match until March, who do we play for the last 2 months of the season? Wasn't that the issue that MON had at Villa?

EDIT: whoever changed the thread title... :facepalm:

Tiote's known by almost every football fan I've spoken too down here as 'that nutter who kicks people'. I found it and still find it absolutely staggering that he was being linked to Man Utd at any point during his NUFC career.

He did have a very good first season, and we have needed a midfield enforcer for quite a while.

Whatever happened Gosling? Is he total shit now or what?

If there's one criticism of Pardew that I will not defend its that I think he's responsible for Tiote losing his way a bit. For me, Pards has encouraged this ridiculous midfield warrior image when really he should have took him aside and told him "stop lunging in, getting booked so much and missing games you daft sod."

The Tiote of 2010 was a much better player than the one we see now charging around with his silly Mr T hard man hair cut.

After last season, expectations were naturally very high for this season. We've had an unspectacular start, but we have proven difficult to beat, West Ham aside. His insistence on 4-4-2 is an annoyance, but this early into the season and after last seasons great achievement, I find any talk of sacking him incredulous.

The people that are so ready to move him on already are the specific reason he was given such a long contract.

Oi Dekka well give im an eight year deals cause those cahnts on N.O. cahrnt be twusted yeah? :lol:

If you think about it, calm down and think rationally, imagine it was another club - would you not think it was ridiculous to want a manager out who got a team like us to 5th, by november the following season when 11th?

Yep.

After last season, expectations were naturally very high for this season. We've had an unspectacular start, but we have proven difficult to beat, West Ham aside. His insistence on 4-4-2 is an annoyance, but this early into the season and after last seasons great achievement, I find any talk of sacking him incredulous.

People just want to see a bit more football and are frustrated. There is always a backlash after a bad performance, it calms down after a few days. If we lose to Swansea tho....;)

I don't think we should sack him and the notion is pretty extreme.  After last season he's at least earnt himself the benefit of the doubt and a decent amount of time to turn things around.

Having said that, I am concerned at the way we're playing and the direction the club is going.  We had similar problems last year when playing a midfield two and the huge gap between midfield and attack is plain for everyone to see.  The midfield are sitting far too deep and that's severely limiting our passing options which I believe is why we hoof the ball so much.

If Pardew can't see that and switch things around to play this passing game he's always talking about then I don't see much hope for him.  We do have a very good group of core players who have proved that they're more than capable of playing a fluid passing game.  He needs to get away from this defensive, negative mentality and set them free, starting with playing a midfield 3 and 3 up top.

The people that are so ready to move him on already are the specific reason he was given such a long contract.

Oi Dekka well give im an eight year deals cause those cahnts on N.O. cahrnt be twusted yeah? :lol:

Llambias pretty much directly gave it as a reason for the contract. Theyre fully aware certain sections will kneejerk after a bad run, thats exactly whats happening to some.

There is no point in discussing whether Pardew should be sacked or not, because it clearly aint going to happen unless we face a relegation fight.

To add to that, we could not attract the sort of replacement that would improve matters because every manager in the country(and plenty abroad no doubt)are aware that Ashley will not give any incumbent the sort of money necessary to improve the side.

That doesn't mean Pardew is above criticism just because he oversaw a 5th place finish - even Roeder managed to get the club into 7th in his first season and Dalglish got us to finish 2nd after taking over from KK.

His record is NOT one of a consistently successful manager in the long term at a club - and that is what sets the top men like Wenger and Fergie apart from the rest. Mourinho also falls into that category and even people like Jol have a better long term CV.

I reckon Pardew is a good man manager in his first years with a club, but lacks the ability to change the team during matches so that defeats are turned into wins or draws...how many times have we come back from a goal down to win a game in the PL..?

I am still to be convinced that he can get the best out of players over a long period of time...Tiote, Cisse and Cabaye have unquestionably regressed as players this season.

Whatever any on here think, though, he is here to stay for the foreseeable future.