Alan Pardew

Dave

Three months into the season and we have only lost to Man Utd and Chelsea. We haven't played our best but we're realistically only 3 points behind where we're targeting. It's been a decent start to the season. We have many good players and a decent manager. We'll be fine.

Is it only me that thought our style was more acceptable during that first half yesterday? We went 4-3-3, we kept the ball, we didn't hoof as much as previously.

The way we defended after half-time was spot on, they didn't create anything until they caught us out with a rare long ball.

No fault whatsoever in those tactics. We had no reason to bomb forward and leave ourselves open when we'd taken the lead. Counter-attacks maybe weren't good enough but still, I don't think we can fault Pardew for much yesterday. Had Cabaye stayed on I think we would have won it.

Is it only me that thought our style was more acceptable during that first half yesterday? We went 4-3-3, we kept the ball, we didn't hoof as much as previously.

The way we defended after half-time was spot on, they didn't create anything until they caught us out with a rare long ball.

No fault whatsoever in those tactics. We had no reason to bomb forward and leave ourselves open when we'd taken the lead. Counter-attacks maybe weren't good enough but still, I don't think we can fault Pardew for much yesterday. Had Cabaye stayed on I think we would have won it.

Completely agree with this, the first half tactics were spot on. If we were counter-attacking as quickly as we were in the latter part of last season (still a valid concern that we aren't, mind) then it would have been even better.

Second half was frustrating, but losing Ba, Cabaye and to a lesser extent Perchinho whilst Colo had a relative off-day certainly contributed to that. Criticising Pardew for this seems excessive.

Don't agree with the second half bit. I thought we sat back far too much and were too deep, especially against a team so poor at going forward. I'm not saying we should have bombed forward, far from it but there was a balance to be found and we didn't do that. Why let a team with one proper striker come on to you so that he's constantly in and around the box?

10 games in, 10th place and 3 points off fourth.

2 defeats to Man United and Chelski.

Last three games, 2 away draws to the Mackems and Liverpool and a home win.

We have a set of fixtures now coming up where we need to take some serious points. The next six league games could really shape our season. No more excuses of playing poorly, we have to go and dominate games against these teams and keep the ball. It will be interesting to see where we are Mid December.

:thup:

Don't agree with the second half bit. I thought we sat back far too much and were too deep, especially against a team so poor at going forward. I'm not saying we should have bombed forward, far from it but there was a balance to be found and we didn't do that. Why let a team with one proper striker come on to you so that he's constantly in and around the box?

Maybe a bit, yes, but I wouldn't say Liverpool are that poor going forward. They are having trouble scoring, but kept the ball well. Had we opened ourselves up more I think we would have given them - and especially Suarez - the space they need to actually penetrate. They were clueless on how to open us up for long periods.

I still think our counter-attacking could be better, maybe comitting Ben Arfa further up the pitch was the missing piece.

Spot on, exactly what I feel. I think that we should have a more offensive approach. But that´s just me. I can live with us playing more deeply if pardew likes that. But it has to be some kind of balance.

The second half yesterday was like a training session were we was practicing defense, and every time we won the ball we just gave it to Liverpool straight away.

Instead of doing that every single game we should be better to control the game with ball possession. But we can´t. That´s the problem. There is no surprise that we concede when we are in the lead if we are just kicking away the ball for 45 minutes. In such a long time there will always be "a lucky bounce" or "a mistake" to happen.

Maybe a bit, yes, but I wouldn't say Liverpool are that poor going forward. They are having trouble scoring, but kept the ball well. Had we opened ourselves up more I think we would have given them - and especially Suarez - the space they need to actually penetrate. They were clueless on how to open us up for long periods.

I still think our counter-attacking could be better, maybe comitting Ben Arfa further up the pitch was the missing piece.

That, and that more players got to attack, at least 4-5 players. We are to easy to take the ball from.

10 games in, 10th place and 3 points off fourth.

2 defeats to Man United and Chelski.

Last three games, 2 away draws to the Mackems and Liverpool and a home win.

We have a set of fixtures now coming up where we need to take some serious points. The next six league games could really shape our season. No more excuses of playing poorly, we have to go and dominate games against these teams and keep the ball. It will be interesting to see where we are Mid December.

:thup:

Yep.

Agree in the main although as i have said a few times i felt we was too negative once we got the lead sitting back on a lead is one thing but we was sitting far too deep IMO.

None the less it's a good point and as Elliotman says lets see where we are in mid December as we will have a good idea where abouts we will probably finish at the end.

In a nutshell for me, top post.  Ba and Cabaye going off killed us.  But despite that, we were a bit too negative for my liking.  Sitting that far back and punting the ball away time and again isn't really an effective way of defending a one goal lead. 

They keep the ball but in the final third they only have one idea, so why not keep that threat away from our box where he's extremely dangerous? Thought we were setup well though in the first half(minus Cisse on the left) and apart from our slow start did well. They started very well.

Guest Dontooner

Good game to analyze whose percentage football is more effective and fluid. West Ham with a team made to play it long and Newcastle a team with better ball skills.

Good game to analyze whose percentage football is more effective and fluid. West Ham with a team made to play it long and Newcastle a team with better ball skills.

What's odd is that they play through the middle better than us and we keep pumping long pointlessly.

Big half ahead, this would be the first real stinking result of the season if we don't win.

He needs to ask why this season we are incapable of,putting a full game performance in. It's every game we look Jekyll and Hyde, great in parts and horrible in others.

Allardyce is less confused about what he wants and how to put it into practice. That's all there is to it.

better ball skills are you sure?  how many fucking times have one of our players played a simply pass and the receiver of the ball fails to control it.  too many fucking times, 

why is that? probably because the player who made the pass cant even pass wind or the receiver can't control the ball to save his life , probably both.

after watching that shower of shyte now i know why pardew likes the long ball, because our players cant pass water even under no pressure what so ever. 

worst of all we're not that much better at long balls, is there one of our players capable of a cross in the last third of the pitch, fucking havent seen it for a while.

fuck off pardew you tosser

Guest SholasDad

Big half ahead, this would be the first real stinking result of the season if we don't win.

He needs to ask why this season we are incapable of,putting a full game performance in. It's every game we look Jekyll and Hyde, great in parts and horrible in others.

We never really look 'Great' in parts of games do we though?