Alan Pardew

Dave

Any injuries of that nature I've got have been from trying to bullet the ball too. :thup:

I actually went for an overhead the other day whilst hungover* and missed the ball entirely :lol: It actually hurt a little bit. Like when you throw a cricket ball around for too long and over-extend your muscles?

* - even if I wasn't, I probably still would have missed.

As I recall, the overhead was literally the last thing he did before turning around and coming off so I'm not sure that could have been the trigger.

I suppose I just put taking Cabaye off just a few minutes later purely out of choice in such a stratospherically bizarre category that I immediately knew it must be injury. I mean... nobody, but nobody, would ever do that, no matter who. No manager in the universe. It would never, ever happen.

You've got a higher opinion about Pardew than most.

Who doesn't understand the Cabaye sub?

Quite a few as it happens. :lol:

i understand taking him off, i don't understand the replacement and tactics nor those surrounding the marveaux sub.

I was more referencing Beren and Jack.

I think most people are in broad agreement. Pardews reasoning that we needed to put our foot on the ball as we'd lost the initiative is fair, but that didn't make it the right thing to do and just put us further on the back foot. At home. Against Reading.

Cabaye had to go off and the crowd reaction was rotten, but perfectly understandable in the context of the match. Something that Pardew said about the substitution was interesting though. He said that while he'd have liked to put on an attacker, for him Bigi wasn't a defensive sub anyway. I think it's an indication that we'll see him end up further forward than expected, and adds weight to the need for someone like Sissoko coming in.

Guest tollemache

I suppose I just put taking Cabaye off just a few minutes later purely out of choice in such a stratospherically bizarre category that I immediately knew it must be injury. I mean... nobody, but nobody, would ever do that, no matter who. No manager in the universe. It would never, ever happen.

You've got a higher opinion about Pardew than most.

Well, I don't think he's a deranged lunatic on a mission to lose if that's what you mean....

Guest tollemache

i understand taking him off, i don't understand the replacement and tactics nor those surrounding the marveaux sub.

I think most people are in broad agreement. Pardews reasoning that we needed to put our foot on the ball as we'd lost the initiative is fair, but that didn't make it the right thing to do and just put us further on the back foot. At home. Against Reading.

Cabaye had to go off and the crowd reaction was rotten, but perfectly understandable in the context of the match. Something that Pardew said about the substitution was interesting though. He said that while he'd have liked to put on an attacker, for him Bigi wasn't a defensive sub anyway. I think it's an indication that we'll see him end up further forward than expected, and adds weight to the need for someone like Sissoko coming in.

Bigi's use of the ball has been really good at times

Someone should dig up Pardew's quotes from a few days ago that were praising the fans, just to show how quickly the man will use something as an excuse.

:thup:

Yeah, somebody should dig up everything Pardew's ever said and dissect it to a microscopic degree without any context so they can whinge on about it.

Oh hang on, that's already happened.

Can only assume you've missed my point, otherwise you're just having a pop for no reason. The point was that only last week Pardew was praising the fans for their patience and support and this week he's implying there's often a poisonous atmosphere that negatively affects the team. In that sense those quotes are worth digging up to have a look at.

I was more commenting on the general level of insane scrutiny that every Pardew quote is subjected to.

Perhaps if Pardew's quotes weren't insane themselves, people wouldn't scrutinize them as much.....

Guest tollemache

This is going to seem like me mindlessly defending him but there have only been a couple of times I've really raised an eyebrow at his press conferences. For the most part they're the same platitudinous bilge that all managers come out with, as I can see

Someone should dig up Pardew's quotes from a few days ago that were praising the fans, just to show how quickly the man will use something as an excuse.

:thup:

Yeah, somebody should dig up everything Pardew's ever said and dissect it to a microscopic degree without any context so they can whinge on about it.

Oh hang on, that's already happened.

Can only assume you've missed my point, otherwise you're just having a pop for no reason. The point was that only last week Pardew was praising the fans for their patience and support and this week he's implying there's often a poisonous atmosphere that negatively affects the team. In that sense those quotes are worth digging up to have a look at.

I was more commenting on the general level of insane scrutiny that every Pardew quote is subjected to.

Perhaps if Pardew's quotes weren't insane themselves, people wouldn't scrutinize them as much.....

Maybe, I think it's more to do with whether we're doing well or not.

Anyway, it's not going to stop so I'll have to learn to ignore it.

On one of the other strands, people are saying that we are still an attractive club to players and that a few bad results doesn't change that, as if that is the reason why all these players want to sign for us (allegedly). Well deep down we all know it's all about the money, why else would a bunch of French players want to come and play for us? They are all getting serious pay rises. The problem with Pardew continuing is that he's very likely to get us relegated, and this time not only we will lose all the good players we have, we won't be in a very good position to come back up. I'm sure unlike the last time they all have relegation clauses and they'll all be off rapido, and who could blame them.

Even if we do stay up, no ambitious self respecting player will want to continue playing for a manager who is absolutely incapable of setting up a team to win a match rather than not lose one.

Guest Roger Kint

Bigi's use of the ball has been really good at times

He looked very nervous when he came on tbh. Couldnt have been easy for him to join the game under that response from the crowd.

If he relegates a squad that has: Ben Arfa,Cabaye,Cisse,Coloccini,Santon,Debuchy,Krul,Tiote,Marveaux,Anita,(Mbiwa,Sissoko,gouffran) and had Ba for half a season.  Then he would have to go down as one of the worst managers we ever had no matter what happened last season.

It looks like Ashley's chosen to back rather than sack if the latest signings go through as expected. No more excuses after this.

Guest tollemache

I don't think the signings have much, if any, bearing on the attitude to the manager or vice versa. Don't think they'll sack him though, regardless

Yeah can understand the booing from the crowd for the subs (basically taking anyone off before Shola was a tactical disaster) but felt for the two players coming on to a chorus of boos. The two players coming on, you had Perch who lest we forget was barracked by all corners of the ground less than a season or so ago and Bigi who is young and inexperienced. Don't think either of their performances were helped by the fans on this occasion.

I think people are forgetting that we were s**** from pretty much the beginning of the 2nd half. He's clearly sent us out to hang on, we dropped deeper, stopped hassling, debuchy was pushing forward less. Irrespective of the subs, that was awful

I'd say we were shite from the moment we scored in all honesty.

Guest tollemache

Yeah can understand the booing from the crowd for the subs (basically taking anyone off before Shola was a tactical disaster) but felt for the two players coming on to a chorus of boos. The two players coming on, you had Perch who lest we forget was barracked by all corners of the ground less than a season or so ago and Bigi who is young and inexperienced. Don't think either of their performances were helped by the fans on this occasion.

yep. I mean I can just about understand it from the point of view of fans who think it's their only way of venting but I am extremely anti-boo on the whole. It's never going to help, just obliterate your home advantage, usually when you most need it

I think people are forgetting that we were shite from pretty much the beginning of the 2nd half. He's clearly sent us out to hang on, we dropped deeper, stopped hassling, debuchy was pushing forward less. Irrespective of the subs, that was awful

True, not sure how much was a decision to defend and how much was a combination of Reading coming out fast and the natural desire of nervous players to protect a lead.

Guest neesy111

I think people are forgetting that we were s**** from pretty much the beginning of the 2nd half. He's clearly sent us out to hang on, we dropped deeper, stopped hassling, debuchy was pushing forward less. Irrespective of the subs, that was awful

I'd say we were shite from the moment we scored in all honesty.

This.  Created almost nothing 1st half after the goal.  Reading stepped up massively 1st half to 2nd mind.

True, not sure how much was a decision to defend and how much was a combination of Reading coming out fast and the natural desire of nervous players to protect a lead.

I think you'd always expect a team to do that. If you're a smart manager you would have looked to absorb that pressure and hit fast on the break, subbing Shola for Obertan perhaps.Or you send your team out to take initiative rather than hand it to the other team. We seemed to be sent out to be negative

Fair point, no doubt Pardew is quite conservative in nature, especially under pressure it seems.

I think people are forgetting that we were shite from pretty much the beginning of the 2nd half. He's clearly sent us out to hang on, we dropped deeper, stopped hassling, debuchy was pushing forward less. Irrespective of the subs, that was awful

Pardew does this all the time. I can't see players like that going out there and thinking themselves 'right hang onto this lead, Ian Harte is gonna be going at us all half, better defend this 1 goal now since there is no way we can score another at home against the might of Reading'. Let's remember a good half(at least) of our side are champions league level players here Ian.

Pardew does this all the time. I can't see players like that going out there and thinking themselves 'right hang onto this lead, Ian Harte is gonna be going at us all half, better defend this 1 goal now since there is no way we can score another at home against the might of Reading'. Let's remember a good half(at least) of our side are champions league level players here Ian.

Obviously they didn't think like that, but it's a fact that (even subconsciously) players can retreat when leading, especially when nervous and short of confidence. Not trying to downplay Pardew's role, obviously it's his job to stop/correct it.