Alan Pardew

Dave

Pardew convinced me last season that he's a good manager, but loads of the stuff in this thread rings true for me, it's exactly the line I was taking at the start of last season when we were hopeless but picking up points. Concerned but I hope he turns it around again, he's done it before.

We NEED an attacking plan.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt so I'll assume he's trying to play better footy. I think he wants to build a team that can compete in midfield like it had 3 men there with Tiote and Cabaye and still have 2 men up front. I don't think Pardew, unlike me, is a massive nerd for formations, I think he thinks it's more about the individual roles players have and the amount of flexibility they have, so he may send out a 4-4-2 but tell ba to drop deep to add to midfield, tiote to cover and cabaye to go forward, ben arfa to roam and jonas to drop more central, thus not having neccessarily any kind of actual 4-4-2 shape at some points.

Problem is that when players are underperforming, or covering for other players we lose the fluidity and don't have the men in midfield that we want, and we look really stodgy and negative.

For all the talk of dropping players, that'll just make us worse. We were without Cabaye today, who certain people have been telling us for weeks has had his head turned and isn't trying, and we were much worse. We can't go dropping Cisse and Cabaye, they're top class and we need to get them playing.

For all the talk of dropping players, that'll just make us worse. We were without Cabaye today, who certain people have been telling us for weeks has had his head turned and isn't trying, and we were much worse. We can't go dropping Cisse and Cabaye, they're top class and we need to get them playing.

The players aren't at fault so dropping them will make little difference.  We've got Man u next in the league and I think we'll raise our game without wholesale changes.

We look like a League two team, or that there are just some mates that are playing.

This is the first post I've read and had to reply. I'm not familiar with ATB, but is he a WUM or just brain dead? If the latter then just delete him and be done with it.

I personally don't think he is worthy an 8 year contract, and I think a 3 or 5 year contract would have signalled the same long-term ambition by Ashley. This could prove to be a costly move, should it backfire on us - which I ultimately think it will based on our previous track-record of managers.

Pardew was indeed nominated the Manager of the Year last season, so he definately did really well no question about that. However, as I see it much of the foundation was laid by Chris Hughton, and Pardew inherited an already motivated and cohesive squad. I'm also unsure weather Pardew should be credited for finding players such as Cabaye and Cissé... or if this is a down to Carr...

I do wish him the very best, and hope he succeed with my club.

"All of us managers are just trying to get our teams nailed down. After 10 games is when you can judge whether or not you have made a good start to the season, a bad start or just an indifferent start - and at the moment we are just getting going." - Alan Pardew (http://tyneandwear.sky.com/newcastleunited/article/38928)

... and I'll be back in 3 games....

8 year contracts? 1 major signing? There's too much complacency going on based on the events of last season. We've incurred 8 extra european games before the new year alone yet the squad numbers remain the same. We have witnessed a noticeable dip in form from key players like Cabaye and Cisse, and when you look at the backup players, there just isn't competition for places. Last season Pardew managed a similarly weak squad well, getting the most from players like Ryan Taylor and James Perch. He must find a way to do it again, because there are too many automatic selections, and we are way too predictable to opposing teams. We have been relying on individual match winners to pinch results with very limited service.

I do think Pardew's got a difficult task, and some of the criticism on here is a little premature in my view. He was let down by Ashley in the summer, his reward for European football was much the same squad over many more games, so to expect another 5th placed finish is a huge ask. He may become a victim of his own success, if people expect a similar finish. I just don't believe he has the players to achieve that, not with the extra games stretching the squad through fatigue and injuries. I think we are paying for a poor transfer window, though Pardew is certanily not beyond criticism. Looking back on the window, the Anita signing, our one major deal, was a weird one. It did not address any of our needs and basically blew our whole transfer budget. I'm not sure who sanctioned that deal or why but I'd be surprised if Pardew thought that would be his final signing.

Given current form, it might be worth resting Cisse for a game or two and maybe even giving Ferguson a run wide left in a 4-3-3. It might not work, but I think we have to freshen things up. Teams will suss us out if we always play the same way, and you have to get your form players on the pitch. 2 assists in a week from Ferguson is definitely knocking on the door for a first team place in a team that is crying out for balls into the box, and his inclusion would also send out the message that nobody's place is guaranteed in the team, and that good form is rewarded. Giving Ba the main role would also be reward for his excellent form. I hope he freshens things up, but he may be afraid to do so with Man Utd next up in the league.

:thup: Excellent post. Think Pardew is more than entitled to feel let down by the lack of backing this summer - just imagine the difference Debuchy and Douglas would have made to the team we finished that game with yesterday?

6 games in and we've lost 80% of our first choice back 5, and it's costing us points - it's frustrating as it was predictable.

Also like the idea of leaving out Cisse and trying Fergie wide in a more advanced role, allows us to play a midfield 3 of Tiote, Cabaye and Jonas, which was the basis of a lot of our best performances last season.

People need to wise the fuck up and stop expecting us to be league winning contenders or some shit. We've had god knows how many managers in the last 10 years, and some are saying they aren't happy with Pardew despite all his previous success? It will come good, theres too much squad quality for it not to.

People need to wise the fuck up and stop expecting us to be league winning contenders or some shit. We've had god knows how many managers in the last 10 years, and some are saying they aren't happy with Pardew despite all his previous success? It will come good, theres too much squad quality for it not to.

:jesuswept:

Is that really the impression you've got from people's vexations? That we think we should be title contenders?

:dowie:

People need to wise the f*** up and stop expecting us to be league winning contenders or some s***. We've had god knows how many managers in the last 10 years, and some are saying they aren't happy with Pardew despite all his previous success? It will come good, theres too much squad quality for it not to.

;D

I doubt anyone expects that tbh. Im happy with all of the results bar Villa. The performances however have been poor and we arent making the most of the talent in our squad this season. How you can make the above ridiculous statement is beyond me.

either santon, arfa, jonas simpson etc. are not natural crossers. we lack good crossers operating on the flanks especially with both cisse and ba in the box. arfa is crossing that well from RW, offers something different.

Maybe a good left footed LW with crossing skills would make us much dangerous and unpredictable? WOuld like to see ferguson some more.

Jonas has a poor left foot and is expected to cross from the left, its always been this way since he has been here under every manager. No idea why he is not played wide right or at least given a shot at seeing what he can do crossing with his right.

Benny is left footed and played wide right but as he is such a gifted player its not an issue, I just feel it would be nice to see us try and give swapping them around a chance.

Guest Wally_McFool

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/2012/09/30/alan-pardew-reveals-his-england-ambitions-79310-31934505/

Pardew reveals England manager ambitions.

Ahhh, so that's why Mike has given him an 8 year deal so that if Pardew is poached away by England in the next couple of years as could be very possible, he will get whopping compo from the FA.

Not fuckin' daft is he.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/2012/09/30/alan-pardew-reveals-his-england-ambitions-79310-31934505/

Pardew reveals England manager ambitions.

Ahhh, so that's why Mike has given him an 8 year deal so that if Pardew is poached away by England in the next couple of years as could be very possible, he will get whopping compo from the FA.

Not fuckin' daft is he.

Could potentially be the next manager after Woy, he has good with the media and comes across professional.  Maintain consistent league form and Im sure he will be approached.

I don't see what the harm in trying a 4-3-1-2/4-4-2 (Diamond) would be. Certainly it would be a lot better than that dross we played yesterday, providing we get the ball on the deck and play. But that's a long shot (no pun intended).

I'd like to see:

----------------Krul--------------

---Perch---Taylor---Coloccini---Santon

-------Jonas---Cabaye---Tiote----

----------------Hatem--------------

------------Ba-------Cisse---------

Obviously, in that system the full backs would have a big job in bombing forward and getting beyond the midfield but certainly with Santon that wouldn't be a problem. The only gripe for me is that there's a lesser chance of being able to accommodate Marveaux in it, which is easier in a 4-3-3. Still, I think this formation suits Jonas better being in a central role, give Hatem a trequartista role, whilst we don't have to sacrifice our two crown jewels up front. It's never going to happen though.

correct ,

Santon frequently bombs forward from left back but has yet to do anything with it, ever.

Cisse's first goal against chelsea at stanford bridge was from Santon bombing forward then that horizontal pass he often tried. He has also been involved in plenty of good build up play for goals, I agree needs to work a lot on his end product but this is an exaggeration.

Santon frequently bombs forward from left back but has yet to do anything with it, ever.

Cisse's first goal against chelsea at stanford bridge was from Santon bombing forward then that horizontal pass he often tried. He has also been involved in plenty of good build up play for goals, I agree needs to work a lot on his end product but this is an exaggeration.

Howay man, you can hardly credit a full back for giving somebody the ball 20 yards out who then flicks it up and volleys it into the top corner.

I'm not even saying he needs to work on his end product so much as I'm saying he needs switching over to his natural side. He refuses to shoot when he comes inside and his left foot is non-existent so it's an utter waste keeping him where he is.