Alan Pardew

Dave

I remember one of Pardews quotes around December time saying he knew we lacked pace and power, and never really gave teams any threat of us countering them. Obviously with Gouffran and Sissoko that's changed, and that's what gives me hope for Pardew. He clearly recognises where the weaknesses are in the team and squad and knows the players he wants to fit.

The biggest problem with our play earlier this season was that the whole team had no balance, none of the players really gelled or meshed together and that affected our play, it was turd. It looks like that's changed now, sure signs of that balance being there, more so when HBA gets back. Even Santon is going down the line, things must be looking up!

Guest Dontooner

The bottom line is Pardew has being trying to piece since his arrival many different formations and teams together , looking for a winning formula.

When the formula breaks down he tries another and another.

This is the problem we need a more distinctive mature style that is dominating by nature and could put teams under constant pressure, i honestly dont see Pardew instilling a style like that over the long run.

Nothing Wrong with how Pardew is managing the team last year and this , just that the results and league positions would be very inconsistent as with our playing style.

one thing i'd love to know about pardew

sunday being a prime example where we fuck a team for 30+ minutes through good football and pull a lead back...they then come out, sit back and allow the opposition to roll over them and equalise...is this specific manager instructions or is it the players themselves who lack confidence?  mag i work with is insistent it must be the players themselves but i just don't buy it...even if he's not openly instructing them to do it surely his default position to be overly cautious has rubbed off on them over the last couple of years?

funny, as we were arguing about it and i was saying he's overly negative pardew subbed cabaye for perch when it was 3-2 :lol:  "i can't explain that" was the response :lol:

Guest Slippery Sam

sunday being a prime example where we f*** a team for 30+ minutes through good football and pull a lead back...they then come out, sit back and allow the opposition to roll over them and equalise...is this specific manager instructions or is it the players themselves who lack confidence?  mag i work with is insistent it must be the players themselves but i just don't buy it...even if he's not openly instructing them to do it surely his default position to be overly cautious has rubbed off on them over the last couple of years?

funny, as we were arguing about it and i was saying he's overly negative pardew subbed cabaye for perch when it was 3-2 :lol:  "i can't explain that" was the response :lol:

Pardew, just after he arrived here, said (and this is 100% genuine) that we, the fans, would have to get used to the team protecting a lead, rather than trying to go on for more goals.  This, as a philosophy, goes right against the grain for most NUFC fans I would have thought - it does for me.

I have not wanted him from day one. I have never felt any different. However, I hope he goes on to win cup after cup etc in his time here and ram my negative feelings down my throat.

sunday being a prime example where we f*** a team for 30+ minutes through good football and pull a lead back...they then come out, sit back and allow the opposition to roll over them and equalise...is this specific manager instructions or is it the players themselves who lack confidence?  mag i work with is insistent it must be the players themselves but i just don't buy it...even if he's not openly instructing them to do it surely his default position to be overly cautious has rubbed off on them over the last couple of years?

Pardew, just after he arrived here, said (and this is 100% genuine) that we, the fans, would have to get used to the team protecting a lead, rather than trying to go on for more goals.  This, as a philosophy, goes right against the grain for most NUFC fans I would have thought - it does for me.

I have not wanted him from day one. I have never felt any different. However, I hope he goes on to win cup after cup etc in his time here and ram my negative feelings down my throat.

There is a massive difference between protecting a lead and doing what Pardew does most of the time.

Most teams who take the lead protect it with an intention of picking the other team off and get more goals. We don't ever seem to have the slightest intention of doing that. Towards the end of games, Metalist being the latest example, Pardew rather puts out a third defensive block up front, often consisting of Shola. The idea is to win the battles around the box and hoof it up to him at the first attempt, rather than play it out to someone who can actually hurt the oncoming team.

In my opinion that's not protecting a lead, but rather inviting an equaliser. If you constantly give the ball back to them it's asking them to have another go, rather than kill the game.

Guest Klizsch

Refreshing read. Not a big fan myself but nice to see some positive comments to counterbalance my own miserable stance on well, everything.

There is no such thing as a perfect manager. Every single one has his faults. If someone else i brought in to replace Pardew there is no guarantee he will succeed. Then we go through the clown circus and instability etc

Im happy to support Pardew through all his faults. Not perfect, but right man for the club at this time.

Straight down the tunnel and was supposedly ill and feeling dizzy.  I can explain that  :razz:

There is no such thing as a perfect manager. Every single one has his faults. If someone else i brought in to replace Pardew there is no guarantee he will succeed. Then we go through the clown circus and instability etc

Im happy to support Pardew through all his faults. Not perfect, but right man for the club at this time.

The whole ethos of Newcastle United has changed in the last few years with regard to business plan and management appointments.

Under the present regime the plan is for long term appointments, managerial stability and most likely groomed promotion from within when change is needed. The days of whimsical appointments and buckling to external pressures (fans, media etc) have gone. In some ways it's a bit like the way Liverpool used to operate.

Those who advocate getting rid of Pardew may as well forget it and save their energy, he's very much part of the present ownership's plans and won't be leaving for quite some time.

The whole ethos of Newcastle United has changed in the last few years with regard to business plan and management appointments.

Under the present regime the plan is for long term appointments, managerial stability and most likely groomed promotion from within when change is needed. The days of whimsical appointments and buckling to external pressures (fans, media etc) have gone. In some ways it's a bit like the way Liverpool used to operate.

Those who advocate getting rid of Pardew may as well forget it and save their energy, he's very much part of the present ownership's plans and won't be leaving for quite some time.

Agree with you both and have been saying this for ages. Personally I wouldn't sack Pardew now, and even if I would there's no way it will happen for the immediate future under this regime.

There is a massive difference between protecting a lead and doing what Pardew does most of the time.

Most teams who take the lead protect it with an intention of picking the other team off and get more goals. We don't ever seem to have the slightest intention of doing that. Towards the end of games, Metalist being the latest example, Pardew rather puts out a third defensive block up front, often consisting of Shola. The idea is to win the battles around the box and hoof it up to him at the first attempt, rather than play it out to someone who can actually hurt the oncoming team.

In my opinion that's not protecting a lead, but rather inviting an equaliser. If you constantly give the ball back to them it's asking them to have another go, rather than kill the game.

It's by far my main gripe with Pardew. It's almost got to a point where us taking the lead before half time can be a bad thing, as you just know that we'll come out and try and "defend" it. Twice in recent weeks we have conceded an equalising goal in the opening minutes of the second half, it's not acceptable for me that.

Later on in the game, when the losing team is starting to become desperate and starts throwing more people forward, Obertan is the one that should come on, not bloody Shola. Shola is useless at winning and holding the ball up in those situations anyway, it would be much better to try and use Obertan's pace to try and hurt the opposition.

Villa obviously didn't equalise :doh:

Point still stands, and surely you can't agree with the way we sit back and invite pressure once we go ahead? It's frustrating as fuck because we have been showing that we can be a decent side when we're losing/drawing, why stop that when we're winning?

Guest icemanblue

I don't think we intentionally sit back and invite pressure the instant we go ahead, as part of the manager's game plan, though. We've had a couple of sluggish starts to the second half, which have resulted in conceding goals. That needs to be addressed, no doubt.

I don't think we intentionally sit back and invite pressure the instant we go ahead, as part of the manager's game plan, though. We've had a couple of sluggish starts to the second half, which have resulted in conceding goals. That needs to be addressed, no doubt.

We are largely a stand-off and retain shape team when not in possession. Which results in looking sluggish at re-starts and KO. We should come out all guns blazing, high pressing for 5-10 minutes then back off intio our natural shape.

Agree with your general point, but it shouldn't mean that people can't express frustration at those faults. There are some obvious exceptions of course but mainly I think it's pretty healthy debate.

Guest icemanblue

My problem with Pardew is that he does not learn from his mistakes.

I do not trust his tactics, nor his approach to the game.

That'll be why we're persisting with the 4-4-2 'hoofball', yeah?

Why am I doing this, man. :lol:

Posts like this always make me snigger. People seem to think that managing a massive Premiership club is like a walk in the park. Just play 433, lump all the flair players on, set mentality from control to overload when behind or not winning, but whatever you do, never go back. Simples. FM has a lot to answer for.

Posts like this always make me snigger. People seem to think that managing a massive Premiership club is like a walk in the park. Just play 433, lump all the flair players on, set mentality from control to overload when behind or not winning, but whatever you do, never go back. Simples. FM has a lot to answer for.

Definitely agree with this but on the other hand football is nowhere near as complicated as some try to make out. Southampton would have spent all week (maybe even 2 weeks) watching our videos and making intricate plans to take us down then we score a wonder goal, a penalty and get an own goal.

We would have scored against Southampton regardless imo, we were by far the better side outside of about 5 minutes in the first half and about 10-15 in the second. Our pressure paid off.

Anyway I don't know about him learning from his mistakes, I think he realises what he's doing wrong, or what the team are doing wrong, as he has quoted some of the problems before in interviews. He just takes far longer than most other top managers to adjust to changes. We saw it last year with our awkward transition into 4-3-3 and we've seen it this year when we went something like 11 winless games playing the same dire football. Most managers don't have the luxury of bringing in a Sissoko or a Cisse to fire them up the league so saying "look where we are now when we actually have good players" doesn't really work imo, I mean look at Moyes the poor cunt.

He's clearly a fantastic man-manager, so I'm just telling myself that if it wasn't for him, and if we did have someone like Laudrop in charge, our French contingent would be stabbing each other in the training ground, winging on requesting transfers and shit. There would be full scale French riots.

Nailed it.

Guest palnese

When was the last time we controlled a match and won convincingly? Stoke at home last year. We couldn't even keep a ten men Wigan side quiet. Yeah, we won 3-0, but the scoreline didn't reflect the game at all.

Why do we always have to fight for our lives to defend a lead, even though we're playing a weaker side?

It certainly can't be an easy job, but some of the mistakes he's made this season are baffling. Playing Cisse out wide and starting Shola in the middle, for fuck's sake. Not dropping Jonas, even though he's been worse than dogshite this season. It's criminal.

He's made too many mistakes this season, and I just don't trust him enough to not do the same mistakes all over. He talks the talk, but rarely walks the walk.

When was the last time we controlled a match and won convincingly? Stoke at home last year. We couldn't even keep a ten men Wigan side quiet. Yeah, we won 3-0, but the scoreline didn't reflect the game at all.

Why do we always have to fight for our lives to defend a lead, even though we're playing a weaker side?

It certainly can't be an easy job, but some of the mistakes he's made this season are baffling. Playing Cisse out wide and starting Shola in the middle, for f***'s sake. Not dropping Jonas, even though he's been worse than dogshite this season. It's criminal.

He's made too many mistakes this season, and I just don't trust him enough to not do the same mistakes all over. He talks the talk, but rarely walks the walk.

Except that we did and the score line did reflect the game they was lucky it wasn't more.