Alan Pardew

Dave

This thread is like banging your head against a brick wall. The anti-Pardew lot won't concede that he made good subs or did basically anything at all right and the pro-Pardew lot won't admit that the fact we were poor for most of the game is kind of unacceptable against a s*** team like Stoke.

Bringing on Marveaux was an excellent move which could have been made earlier and Campbell made an impact.  Haidara's shown that he's not out of his depth at all in this league so we made 3 good substitutions. 

Jonas getting another full game is a baffler as he was largely ineffective again and shouldn't have been on the pitch in the 2nd half, he spent more time behind a fullback than in front of one.

Guest icemanblue

Honestly? :lol:

Aye. Honestly. It doesn't have to be a particularly entertaining match to enjoy it, like. I guess I'm just not that much of a purist. I had some class craic with the, almost exclusively, jovial people around me. Even though it was about -13 and we were watching turgid football. The general atmosphere has improved tenfold since January. I really don't think I've laughed as much, walking out of the ground, as I did today. It was a class day.

Aye. Honestly. It doesn't have to be a particularly entertaining match to enjoy it, like. I guess I'm just not that much of a purist. I had some class craic with the, almost exclusively, jovial people around me. Even though it was about -13 and we were watching turgid football. The general atmosphere has improved tenfold since January. I really don't think I've laughed as much, walking out of the ground, as I did today. It was a class day.

I am surprised at how much I ended up enjoying the game as well, love those last minute goals.

Pardew, I hate your guts, but fair play on the subs today. Besides Jonas fucking Guttierez getting 90 minutes anyway, but that's a given.

It worries me that we simply dont create enough inside the box, and no, swinging aimless crosses over and over dont count.

People even talk about how poor our set pieces are which baffles me.  Yes we are poor at it but we should not be relying on set plays to get results .

What about getting the basics right first, like creating chances from open play.  remember when we were little kids on the school pitch imagine if a teacher told you, "listen boy our biggest chance of scoring is from corners and freekicks".  We would had told him to f*** right off.

Utterly ludicrous post given that Man Utd have scored 19 goals from set pieces.

As ludicrous as you comparing us to man utd lol

Fair enough, I've had plenty of "It was a great day apart from the football" days, not that it's as bad as that at the minute.

It worries me that we simply dont create enough inside the box, and no, swinging aimless crosses over and over dont count.

People even talk about how poor our set pieces are which baffles me.  Yes we are poor at it but we should not be relying on set plays to get results .

What about getting the basics right first, like creating chances from open play.  remember when we were little kids on the school pitch imagine if a teacher told you, "listen boy our biggest chance of scoring is from corners and freekicks".  We would had told him to f*** right off.

Utterly ludicrous post given that Man Utd have scored 19 goals from set pieces.

As ludicrous as you comparing us to man utd lol

lol

Guest Slippery Sam

The beard is probably just some  'wont shave until we're out of the yuffa/safe in the league' shite.

The beard is probably just some  'wont shave until we're out of the yuffa/safe in the league' shite.

originally something to do with russian beards or some other bollox like that and keeping it for 2nd leg of anzhi game

personally i think it suits him 

The thing is, he wouldn't have made any changes until we went behind, despite the fact we weren't really threatening their goal with the safety first option of Jonas on the left. He always needs to be forced into making any real attacking substitutions. Against Stoke, who have almost no attacking threat other than set pieces, did we really need Tiote and Jonas in the same midfield?

Most games in this league are tight and not many are won by a comfortable margin, and that's even when the mega rich sides are playing those that relatively haven't got a pot to piss in. And so invariably results are down to moments of individual brilliance, defensive mistakes or something a referee does or doesn't see. The manager can influence it by putting on and taking off players who will make a difference. This season AP has not always got his bit right but today he did get it right against a side whose sole purpose is to be hard to break down. Well done :thup:

Tron just said it, at home against Stoke he chose to start Jonas and Tiote and not play Marv or Anita. Credit him all you like but if he didn't make these bullshit fear-based calls in the first place we might not be in holes that we have to dig ourselves out of.

Results make people forget, not me. We were seconds away from 31 points with 9 games to play. Looks a lot healthier this morning but bearing in mind the opposition and importance of the game yesterday I found his approach baffling. Took them to score before we remotely livened up, albeit they were shit. But we were at home and needed the points more than them.

Mojo, while we're playing the hypothetical game; if (by some miracle) we won the waffa cup, would you still be wanting Pards out (now, or even for the next few seasons)?

I know that a few people were sceptical about last season's 5th placed finish and even more are reluctant to give him the benefit of the doubt for the more disappointing campaign that has followed. So if the 'achievements' of last season don't count for much in the immediate aftermath, how much of a grace period would a trophy bring?

The record books don't record how well a team played, unless they're doing a Barca and smashing the goal-scoring records each season, so ultimately a club is judged on it's silverware (see: Arsenal 2006-present). Does Pardew have the possibility of 'immunity' if he wins the lottery of the Europa?

Said before I believe he should get next season anyway, WHEN he manages to keep us up that is. Waffa cup win would buy him more time in the eyes of many I'd imagine, personally I wouldn't let it sway me that much if we ended up in the same situation in the league next season.

Parky is 100% right, he's a negative manager, and that will never change imo.

I think the jury is still out over how negative he is - I think he's still finding his feet with the raised expectations at a much bigger club (all due respect to WHU) and knows ultimately that results > performances. This worked to a treat last season, with favourable circumstances; not so good this season but, despite all of that, he's still got himself in position to have a good finish to the season and go into the summer riding the crest of optimism.

If he can get a cup win, or something to put the crowd firmly behind him*, then he's only going to feel more secure in the position and open to being more adventurous. His FA Cup team was a good side to watch, I wouldn't say no to having a more balanced version of that, would you?

*bear in mind that last season's over-achievements only served to heighten the disappointment at the November/December results this season.

we're just not developing Stu, showing no signs of efforts towards reaching that goal...the only thing that developed this season was mike getting his wallet out and handing him better players in january or we'd be in deep, deep trouble (but let's not tread that path again)

there's still no defined way of playing, we knock it about ok at times but it's directionless when they try it...like he's getting the players to pay lip service to attacking football 'cause that should be what we're doing with the quality of player we have, but he honestly just doesn't know how to do it in my opinion...i don't think a cup win would help this one bit, in fact maybe the opposite because if he can win a cup by being cautious and nicking results then he might keep it going in the league, we had one successful season of doing it in the league last year but i doubt it'll happen again

i'm on board for some stability though, really, so not massively in favour of binning him now because if nothing else the players seem to like him and change might upset the applecart -which frankly hasn't been so good for a long time

unless there are signs of development from the kick off next season though we need to bin him sooner rather than later, i'm sorry but we do

Would you another season of 'rubbish' performances if we won the waffa or league cup by the end of 2013/14?

Just curious if you're more fussed about watching 'attacking' football or wanting to win things.