Alan Pardew

Dave

Let's not forget that a deflected goal from Haris Vuckic got us through the qualifying round. :lol:

Also worth pointing out that we didn't play anything like a first team in the EL until Maritimo at home on 22nd November. And even then we went back to the reserves for Bordeaux away. Not one of the squad is in double figures for EL starts this season. The likes of Amalfitano, Tavernier, Ranger and Abeid all got starts. Bigirimana and Obertan are amongst the players we started the most.

Whilst it's admirable that we got so far after playing these sides, the only person at the club that I genuinely believe has suffered from our participation in the Europa League is the manager. Primarily because IMO he's overly concerned with stopping the opposition and taking that time away has meant he's been out of his depth.

Yep, the lack of time to prepare for each game has definitely affected Pardew. I don't know whether to criticise him for that or not really, although I guess it is worse for someone who works so much on preparing for a specific opponent.

On the other hand, it seems to be a generally accepted truth that European football harms teams domestically, except we don't accept it when it applies to us.

Might be accepted, but doesn't necessarily make it the truth...

Stoke dropped one place from the season before when they were in the UEFA Cup. Fulham dropped from 7th to 12th but still finished 16 points clear of relegation. Neither of them spent £20m in the January.

Steve McClaren got a significantly worse Boro team to the equivalent tournament's final and managed to finish in a comfortable mid-table position to boot. Not that much of an achievement now is it?

Yes, you can only beat what's put in front of you, but the first genuinely decent side we played we went crashing out.

Guest bimpy474

What was it about the Europa League that made him make us play long ball. What was it about the Europa League that made him play Cisse on the wing. What was it about the Europa League that made him put Shola on the wing. What was it about the Europa League that has made our set pieces are utter embarrassing joke. What was it about the Europa League that means we can't play passing football.

Europa League my arse.

If he's not going to get any credit for getting to a European QF then it's mental IMO. There are plenty of actual things to slag him off about.

He'll get as much credit as he deserves, he got to the Europa League quarter finals, it's not exactly a monumental achievement like.

One round further than Roeder. Same as Souness.

Gerrin.

Guest WashyGeordie

Steve McClaren got a significantly worse Boro team to the equivalent tournament's final and managed to finish in a comfortable mid-table position to boot. Not that much of an achievement now is it?

Yes, you can only beat what's put in front of you, but the first genuinely decent side we played we went crashing out.

Didn't Fulham just last season (or the year before)?

This "tiredness" excuse is a load of bollocks tbh. Fair enough pre-January we didn't have much squad depth, but after that he still can't use that same excuse as we bought 4-5 players!

What was it about the Europa League that made him make us play long ball. What was it about the Europa League that made him play Cisse on the wing. What was it about the Europa League that made him put Shola on the wing. What was it about the Europa League that has made our set pieces are utter embarrassing joke. What was it about the Europa League that means we can't play passing football.

Europa League my arse.

I'm certainly not saying it's an excuse for everything he's done wrong.

is there another manager out there like pardiola, with the same outlook on how to approach games?  just wondering

Quite a lot I would imagine, why wouldn't there be?

i mean to be so heavily focused on the other team all the time, can't think of anyone myself

fat sam concentrates on how to negate the opposition but even he comes up with an offensive plan of his own to exploit the other teams weaknesses

Didn't Fulham just last season (or the year before)?

This "tiredness" excuse is a load of bollocks tbh. Fair enough pre-January we didn't have much squad depth, but after that he still can't use that same excuse as we bought 4-5 players!

I think the idea is that it's a combination of tiredness and a lack of time for training and preparation.

“Certainly, Thursday and Friday we’ll be working on team shape, because our shape wasn’t right. It was a little bit loose – we can’t have that.”

Gotta work on that rigid team shape eh Pards. That's the reason we lost. :lol:

If Europa League is a valid excuse for tiredness then in the December to end of January period we should have done much better. Fact is we won 1, drew 1 and lost 7 including a home game to the worst team in the league and dumped out of the FA cup again by Brighton.

Guest bimpy474

Europa League my arse.

I'm certainly not saying it's an excuse for everything he's done wrong.

I'd give you tiredness but we changed so many players in the Europa games early on that he can't use that card.

Even against Sunderland 5 players didn't play against Benfica. It's an EXCUSE, and poor one. An excuse for a poor manager to use. If you think the style football will improve next year you must be mad. This is his style and if as i suspect we resign AC (whom i like by the way, and can be used in a style that doesn't involve hoofball). Then it's not going to get any better, in fact it's only going to get uglier and more direct.

I doubt the 'style' will change, depending on what exactly you mean by style. But I think it's possible we will end up with a basically solid/conservative approach to the game peppered with outstanding moments from the likes of HBA and Cisse. If that results in an enjoyable season and a decent league finish I would be relatively happy.

FWIW I've already said that I wouldn't shed any tears if Pardew was sacked, he has made a lot of mistakes. Personally I would give him another chance if we stay up.

If he's not going to get any credit for getting to a European QF then it's mental IMO. There are plenty of actual things to slag him off about.

He'll get as much credit as he deserves, he got to the Europa League quarter finals, it's not exactly a monumental achievement like.

Exactly. We beat teams any competent PL team should've beaten (save Anzhi, I was surprised we topped them and doubt many English teams would).

Guest WashyGeordie

“Certainly, Thursday and Friday we’ll be working on team shape, because our shape wasn’t right. It was a little bit loose – we can’t have that.”

Gotta work on that rigid team shape eh Pards. That's the reason we lost. :lol:

Maybe he should take them swimming.

Apparently that's what Di Canio done as training in preperation for the derby...

If Europa League is a valid excuse for tiredness then in the December to end of January period we should have done much better. Fact is we won 1, drew 1 and lost 7 including a home game to the worst team in the league and dumped out of the FA cup again by Brighton.

OUCH !!!

Europa League my arse.

100% this. It has no bearing on our tactics. Just a nice convenient excuse for

Him and seemingly other fans as well

Why would fans want an excuse?

Guest bimpy474

I doubt the 'style' will change, depending on what exactly you mean by style. But I think it's possible we will end up with a basically solid/conservative approach to the game peppered with outstanding moments from the likes of HBA and Cisse. If that results in an enjoyable season and a decent league finish I would be relatively happy.

FWIW I've already said that I wouldn't shed any tears if Pardew was sacked, he has made a lot of mistakes. Personally I would give him another chance if we stay up.

Everything you just said i would agree with as i love the club, and if he does stay then i hope it works out how you have described. If he stays.

I just can't see it, can you really in your heart see that happening as well ?.

What makes this season worse is how bad the quality in the PL has been on a whole.

Although a couple of sides have also overachieved.

Swansea and West Brom?

And Southampton, and also arguably Norwich until recently.

Overachieved..? You mean like we did last season....?

Europa League my arse.

100% this. It has no bearing on our tactics. Just a nice convenient excuse for

Him and seemingly other fans as well

let's assume it's true, let's assume they're all fucked from europe going into the derby...what is the one thing you need to do when your players are knackered? 

that's right keep possession and make the other team work...equates to another pardew fail however you look at it

Everything you just said i would agree with as i love the club, and if he does stay then i hope it works out how you have described. If he stays.

I can see us having a much, much better season than this one. Specific league position I haven't a clue. Just like this season has been a negative spiral, a positive one is also possible to create if things go right.

I'm guessing we'll get the chance to find out anyway.

Guest icemanblue

I can see us having a much, much better season than this one. Specific league position I haven't a clue. Just like this season has been a negative spiral, a positive one is also possible to create if things go right.

I'm guessing we'll get the chance to find out anyway.

:thup:

What makes this season worse is how bad the quality in the PL has been on a whole.

Although a couple of sides have also overachieved.

Swansea and West Brom?

And Southampton, and also arguably Norwich until recently.

Overachieved..? You mean like we did last season....?

Erm, possibly, what's your point?