Alan Pardew

Dave

Anita's practically never been used in his actual position since he got here. The only 2 times I can think of, where he's been a genuine defensive midfielder playing in front of the defence, are Liverpool away after Perch went off and Reading at home until Marveaux got subbed. He performed well in both. I don't buy the physicality argument either, there's far more to being a DM than being strong, such a backward mentality.

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

Bigi simply isn't cut out for this level just yet and as said, if we are playing a DM, Tiote is the only man for the job.

would that not possibly mean tiote getting far too  much possession ?

He needs to win it and then give it; look what's in-front of him!

i was more thinking of when we play the ball out from the back 4. that central pivot gets more of the ball and that would be tiote, if not it drags cabaye basically back into the position he has been the last few weeks.

Well, considering that we've got 2 good footballing CBs at the club (or at least one from next season), you should expect them to be able to carry the ball and look for options ahead of them. Tiote covering.

easy said but look at most teams, they play it to that central pivot in the hope it drags a player in and creates space in behind. also it means we have tiote in there purely to win it and give it, nothing else ? but of a waste of a space on the team sheet imo.

Look at Mascherano when he was at Liverpool, Busquets now at Barcelona.  Winning the ball, breaking up play and keeping it simple with a pass is their job.  And it's very effective.  We have players ahead of Tiote who are capable of hurting teams and it's exactly what we should be doing.

and makalele done a lot more thasn that, he was much more of a link man, controlling possession than tiote , he was also very good at bringing the ball of the back four which I don't think tiote can do well enough.

:thup:

Not to mention the fact he had great attacking players in front of him, so Mourinho could afford to play a purely defensive player, anyway.

and makalele done a lot more thasn that, he was much more of a link man, controlling possession than tiote , he was also very good at bringing the ball of the back four which I don't think tiote can do well enough.

Tiote can bring the ball out of defence he just doesnt know when to pass the ball, get rid, or no one around to pass to. 

the way our team play doesnt help.  lest not make out jose's chelsea played like barca,  they werent exactly past and move team.

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

Bigi simply isn't cut out for this level just yet and as said, if we are playing a DM, Tiote is the only man for the job.

i was more thinking of when we play the ball out from the back 4. that central pivot gets more of the ball and that would be tiote, if not it drags cabaye basically back into the position he has been the last few weeks.

Well, considering that we've got 2 good footballing CBs at the club (or at least one from next season), you should expect them to be able to carry the ball and look for options ahead of them. Tiote covering.

easy said but look at most teams, they play it to that central pivot in the hope it drags a player in and creates space in behind. also it means we have tiote in there purely to win it and give it, nothing else ? but of a waste of a space on the team sheet imo.

Rubbish, there are plenty of CBs that come-out with the ball. Having the CBs coming-up with the ball is probably a more effective way to create space in the middle of the park as it takes longer for the pressing player to chase the CB and closing him down. (Unless you've got a Kevin Davies like striker in your side. :memelol: )

It's not a waste of space having a player there purely to win it and release it to the more creative players. The more we push-up, the further up the park Tiote would win it; thus helping us keep the ball in the opposition's half a bit more.

yes they do, but look at man utd for example, centre backs like you say who can, but they don't like to from that deep mainly as it doesn't really keep the oppo moving like it does when they pass the ball out, keeping possession, keeping it moving, keeping the oppo moving, creating gaps.

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

Look at Mascherano when he was at Liverpool, Busquets now at Barcelona.  Winning the ball, breaking up play and keeping it simple with a pass is their job.  And it's very effective.  We have players ahead of Tiote who are capable of hurting teams and it's exactly what we should be doing.

I think tiote can do that, technically, but he just needs to sort the mental side of his game out.

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

both much more than tiote type ball winners though, great at keeping possession and recieving thye ball off the back 4 and keeping it going.

latest from the salesman Pardew.

"Next year we have to prove that we're a bigger and better club," he told the Newcastle Chronicle.

"That's in terms of our Premier League position by finishing well above them (Sunderland). That's what we are going to try to do next year."

But despite his long-term ambitions, Pardew admits that Newcastle are not out of the woods yet in this season's relegation battle, with his side five points clear of the drop zone.

"First we've got to make sure we play well in the last five games with good, solid performances," he added.

The former Southampton manager had previously blamed European duties for their lacklustre performance at the weekend.

But now with a clear schedule, Pardew is looking forward to integrating the likes of Hatem Ben Arfa, Mathieu Debuchy and Cheikh Tiote back into full training.

"We certainly can do a week's work with Hatem and Debuchy, who had his first game (since being injured), and Cheikh," he said.

"We'll do more work with him. We'll give a rest to some of the other guys."

http://www.sportal.co.nz/football-news-display/pardew-wants-bigger-and-better-230934

latest from the salesman Pardew.

"Next year we have to prove that we're a bigger and better club," he told the Newcastle Chronicle.

"That's in terms of our Premier League position by finishing well above them (Sunderland). That's what we are going to try to do next year."

Fuck sake, we lose to Sunderland and now we've become them. :anguish:

Like it or not, this is a physical league. Anita has struggled to adapt to this from day one, other than a decent spell when, ironically, he wasn't being played in his 'best' position. Quite how he's been granted a pardon, simply because of an under-performing manager, is beyond me.

Silva is pretty slim/small is he not? He does alright? Physicality is nothing to do with it. Do you not see a pattern in so many players "under performing" that perhaps it's the manager. It's borderline ridiculous to suggest Anita is being granted a pardon. You don't genuinely beleive that?

It is in England, and always will be.

The small, non-physical players that succeed over here have remarkable qualities that make them effective.

Anita was one of Ajax most important players when they won the league from what i read on various Ajax forums. And Ajax did pretty well against City in the CL without a powerhouse in CM (i know he wasn't playing)

In the right setup he could still be some player in this league, despite not being a powerhouse. Not under Pardew though....

Like it or not, this is a physical league. Anita has struggled to adapt to this from day one, other than a decent spell when, ironically, he wasn't being played in his 'best' position. Quite how he's been granted a pardon, simply because of an under-performing manager, is beyond me.

Silva is pretty slim/small is he not? He does alright? Physicality is nothing to do with it. Do you not see a pattern in so many players "under performing" that perhaps it's the manager. It's borderline ridiculous to suggest Anita is being granted a pardon. You don't genuinely beleive that?

It is in England, and always will be.

The small, non-physical players that succeed over here have remarkable qualities that make them effective.

Disagree completely. Swansea seem okay? small players? Its a cliche and it doesnt ring true anymore

Swansea have a nice balance. And they're hardly a top side, anyway. They're average, and to mention them as you have is ironically as cliched as it gets.

Swansea have a nice balance. And they're hardly a top side, anyway. They're average, and to mention them as you have is ironically as cliched as it gets.

I wouldn't mind being average and a cup winner at the minute.

Arsenal's midfield 3 is Arteta-Ramsey-Wilshere they hardly seem to have a problem.

England is nowhere near as physical as it used to be( although i will accept its fast), physique only matters when you play like we do.... i.e. cover space.

The main reason Anita has struggled so far is because of the massive gaps in between attacking, midfield and defense..... players like Anita are used to the gap between the lines being small and thus not as much ground to cover.

This wouldn't be a problem if we passed and moved like even Wigan can.

Pretty certain physicality wouldn't be a problem if we actually played like Wigan, Southampton, Swansea etc etc.