Newcastle 2 - 1 Spurs - 18/08/12 - post-match jubilation from page 35

Beren

Lennon isn't very flashy but he's very effective and what he does works, bit like Valencia in a way except Valencia has a more consistent final ball, stronger and better technique.

Quite frankly over the last 2-3 years when we play Spurs he concerns me a lot more than Bale does.

Thing about Spurs team is they simply have no replacement for Lennon.

They might have better players but the width and pace he provides the team is so important in how they play.

Don't mean to turn this into a Lennon wankfest :lol: but i do like him and think he's extremely important to Spurs.

Love to see

Krul

NewRB    Saylor    Colo    Santon

Tiote

Cabaye        Anita

Ben Arfa                        Ba

Cisse

For the next home game

Anita looks more in the Cabaye mold from what I saw of him, not an out and out ball winner.

Think we might see Tiote used in a Essien like b2b role winning the ball and driving forward with Cabaye how he played against Stoke and Anita in front of the back 4 dropping back to get the ball of the CB's and dropping back into a CB when Colo runs forward.

At least that's how i imagine the long term plan of the team being anyway.

One thing which stood out yesterday was Tottenham's off the ball running and movement, they really did look fluid from midfield to their striker (if they had another decent striker to accompany Defoe they would look good). We on the other hand seemed to depend a lot on individuals, a few times you could see Ben Arfa getting frustrated at the lack of movement ofr the pass by people around him.

Without Colo at the back we also struggled to bring the ball successfully out of defence and turn it into attack... Perch defended well but he seemed awful "rigid" when on the ball.

One thing which stood out yesterday was Tottenham's off the ball running and movement, they really did look fluid from midfield to their striker (if they had another decent striker to accompany Defoe they would look good). We on the other hand seemed to depend a lot on individuals, a few times you could see Ben Arfa getting frustrated at the lack of movement ofr the pass by people around him.

Without Colo at the back we also struggled to bring the ball successfully out of defence and turn it into attack... Perch defended well but he seemed awful "rigid" when on the ball.

The move for our first goal saw twenty consecutive passes leading up to Simpsons cross. Only the defenders vain effort at clearing it stopped it being the perfect move.

Guest firetotheworks

We won the match y'know. It was the first game of the season as well. People need to calm down a bit.

Love to see

Krul

NewRB    Saylor    Colo    Santon

Tiote

Cabaye        Anita

Ben Arfa                        Ba

Cisse

For the next home game

Anita looks more in the Cabaye mold from what I saw of him, not an out and out ball winner.

This. Also saw highlights of him in Holland where he seems to be very comfortable bringing the ball forward, not just sitting back.

One thing that was brilliant to see was how we were clearly trying to play a shorter passing game IMO. Spurs managed to pressure us well and so we had to go long on occasion, but the game plan was clearly to pass it out. I don't have any worries about which is Pardew's favoured philosophy.

Guest firetotheworks

Definitely, and to think we did it without Coloccini was good. I'm very optimistic about this season. I thought for a first game that we were good. Cabaye was off the pace, Tiote was sloppy, but less sloppy than the start of last season, and everyone looked well organised. If anything we can only get better, and considering we still beat Spurs, that's a very good way to start.

One thing that was brilliant to see was how we were clearly trying to play a shorter passing game IMO. Spurs managed to pressure us well and so we had to go long on occasion, but the game plan was clearly to pass it out. I don't have any worries about which is Pardew's favoured philosophy.

Yep the next step is passing the ball out from the back and actually creating plenty of chances but i'm sure with games and overall fitness it will come.

Guest bimpy474

so-----

I only saw some of first half and highlights as at a wedding do--- was it just luck? were we worth the win?

They were better first half, we switched to 4-3-3 second and played better. Boiled down to the fact we had match winners/game changers and they didn't imo.

so-----

I only saw some of first half and highlights as at a wedding do--- was it just luck? were we worth the win?

They were better first half, we switched to 4-3-3 second and played better. Boiled down to the fact we had match winners/game changers and they didn't imo.

hopefully we can fluke another good season, and the mackems can earn another shit one then.

Guest bimpy474

so-----

hopefully we can fluke another good season, and the mackems can earn another shit one then.

According to them we have flucked the last 40 games or so haven't we ;D

I'm still waiting for us to play someone :lol:

I was quite suprised second half we had deployed cabaye deep and tiote pushing on forward. Tiote was rarely behind cabaye when in possesion of the ball. Wonder if this is a new tactic for the season. Thought cabaye had a very poor game, seemed way of the pace and it wasn't even a great pace to play at times.