Newcastle 2 - 1 Spurs - 18/08/12 - post-match jubilation from page 35

Beren

Guest firetotheworks

Kevin Nolan scores goals. Case closed.

:lol: Isn't the point of football to score goals?

No. It's to score them and work as a team to prevent them. Defoe is a player that is carried for his goal scoring ability. Aside from that he offers zero.

You're right like. Would hate to have a constant goal threat in my team.

Like Kevin Nolan, Darren Bent, Andy Johnson and Jermaine Defoe you mean? You know exactly what I mean, if football was solely about scoring goals then you'd play 11 strikers.

No. It's to score them and work as a team to prevent them. Defoe is a player that is carried for his goal scoring ability. Aside from that he offers zero.

You're right like. Would hate to have a constant goal threat in my team.

Like Kevin Nolan, Darren Bent, Andy Johnson and Jermaine Defoe you mean? You know exactly what I mean, if football was solely about scoring goals then you'd play 11 strikers.

you know I'd like to see someone try that at some stage to counter the Barca play a team of midfielders idea

Nolan Nolan Nolan Nolan

Defoe Defoe

What a front 6 that would be. Guarenteed goal threat and thus 10 goals a game.

I feel dumber from having processed that train of thought.

You can criticize both players on some level, but you can't deny that they both do the most important thing an offensive player can do: score.

Guest firetotheworks

Somebody's gotta do it, won't be winning many games if you can't find the net. No matter how good your defense is.

I don't care if a striker stands around jostling his balls for 90 minutes, if he puts the ball in the net with consistency, I want him on my side.

I don't. Players like that aren't enough anymore at the top level. Hernandes at Man United is the only player at the top teams that solely scores goals and even then he's pretty much always a sub.

I'm always been a big Defoe fan, but for me today made me realise how poor he can be over a full 90mins. I understand that goals win games, but to say it's that simple is very naive. What about the goals that the player costs you by not contributing to the overall performance?

The argument of having a 'goal threat' in the side means it matters little even if they are a terrible footballers is ridiculously simplistic.

The above is an impossible and exaggerated example.

You've gone too far the other way by calling him shit though, tbf. His trigger-happy feet are a valuable quality that a lot of sides wouldn't mind.

Guest optimistic nit

When you compare Defoe to Suarez, who is essentially the polar opposite of Defoe, i know who i would rather have in my team. What is the point of having a striker that can break teams down if every time he gets in the box he fucks it up?

Wasn't pretty as to many players were having an off day in terms of passing but could just be down to lack of a full pre season.

Obertan looks so dumb at times like he's thinking too much about what to do, and ends up doing fuck all. Need shot if he doesn't pull his socks up.

Still! Gotta laugh at Spurs though, love beating those twats however we do it.  :coolsmiley:

Nolan Nolan Nolan Nolan

Defoe Defoe

What a front 6 that would be. Guarenteed goal threat and thus 10 goals a game.

Jesus. Thought you were a batter poster than that pile of shite.

Oh get over yourself. You've been responding with sarcastic one liners the whole time too.

'Would hate to have a goal threat in my side like'

'He's actually scored nearly 200 career goals. Means he's good.'

Point a: both sarcastic and completely ignorant of the point trying to be made

Point b: A simplistic argument that again ignores the entire point of the argument.

If my daft and not-completely-serious post offended you, then you should reassess the above comments.

Defoe is an extremely limited player who will score goals. It doesn't make him a great player or one anybody has to rate because of it. I think he's 'shit' because he is extremely selfish, breaks down numerous attacks through his selfishness and poor decision making/intelligence, is extremely difficult to competently fit into a functioning side both as a lone striker and when paired with somebody who doesn't suit his game.

I generally just think he's crap and that no side who ever wants to achieve anything would ever bother to play him. His 'smack the ball with the same technique every time he gets it' routine would be a useful attribute for a shit or at least mid-table side, admittedly. Maybe at a stretch a wildcard option from the bench for a bigger side.

This is my opinion and I won't change it. No matter how many goals Defoe scores this season and hilarious comments occur when he does. Because as long as he is playing every week for Spurs then they have absolutely zero chance of getting into the Champions League. His overall game and ability level will see to that.

Think we did enough to stay in the game, and when you do that you've always got a chance of winning with the quality we possess. Spurs are a good and balanced side tbf so this is a valuable win. They probably deserved a point though.

We keep the ball so much better playing 433 as well, and are less predictable. First half they pressured high and we had no ideas, looked very rigid and incapable of breaking them down, good change from Pards but I see no reason to play 442 at all tbh...

Think we did enough to stay in the game, and when you do that you've always got a chance of winning with the quality we possess. Spurs are a good and balanced side tbf so this is a valuable win. They probably deserved a point though.

We keep the ball so much better playing 433 as well, and are less predictable. First half they pressured high and we had no ideas, looked very rigid and incapable of breaking them down, good change from Pards but I see no reason to play 442 at all tbh...

Agree with all of this.

I know it is becoming the standard point of reference for the forum but we consistently look much better when we switch to the 4-3-3. We instantly match or outnumber the opposition in midfield for a start.

The only player I can think of at the moment who is a pure goalscorer and plays for a top side is Hernandez. He's better than Defoe though. He has forged functioning partnerships with the players he's been upfront with at Man Utd and is generally just more intelligent with most aspects of the game - despite having the touch of a rapist and not much else to his game outside of the box.

He's not even THAT good of a goalscorer. I mean he is good, but if a club like Tottenham want a poacher in the starting XI he has to be scoring more than he does.

Agreed he had 7 or 8 shots today and scored from one of them and even that was a bit lucky if i'm totally honest.

If Steven Taylor can remain fit, I have no doubt he'll be a full England international by the end of the season. He's improved absolutely no end, and from such a bad injury, he had a good comeback performance today.

Well he was born in Greenwich so he might have a chance.....

Absolutely cracking game. Tremendous atmosphere too.

Krul 8

Simpson 5.5

Taylor 8

Perch 7

Santon 6

Cabaye 6

Tiote 6

Jonas 6.5

Ben Arfa 8.5

Cisse 6.5

Ba 7.5